freebrickproductions
YouTube Username: freebrickproductions

3-6-19 Alabama A&M Sentry 14v Siren Short Alert Test, Huntsville, AL

Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:27 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWOsq1OI0f8

Since today was the first wednesday of the month, and I happened to be off from work, I decided to go out and record a couple of siren tests, one of which would be the monthly test in Jefferson County, while the other was this Sentry 14v. Unfortunately, I stayed up way to late the night before (partially due to closing at work that evening), so I had to scrap my plans for the Jefferson County recording.

I did, however, make it out to record this Sentry 14v for Madison County's test. Unfortunately, I left my house a bit late and then Huntsville's lunch rush traffic made it hard to get out to this siren, and my timing was especially hurt by some road work going on not far from the siren (where I got held up for several minutes waiting on the longest line of cars I had ever seen coming out of Alabama A&M). I wound-up making it to the siren with just about 2-ish minutes to spare. I was just barely able to get my shot positioned just right when the siren went off for the test, so I got a bit lucky there. Shortly before the siren went off, NS 201 rolled past with a Dash-9 leading and a friendly engineer, who gave me a horn salute.

This Sentry 14v was installed back in December of 2018, to fill a gap in the system, that had been left by the removal of the Alabama A&M Model 2t a few years before. The siren is specially painted in the school's colors (red and white) with the university's logo on the motor housing. Certainly an interesting-looking siren. The siren itself didn't seem to be the loudest I've heard in person (didn't even have to cover my ears), but that might've been due to the distance I was away from it. It did create some nice echos off of the surrounding landscape, however.

Madison County, AL tests on the 1st Wednesday of every month at noon, weather permitting. If the test isn't able to be conducted on the 1st Wednesday, it's then delayed to the 2nd Wednesday of the month at noon, weather permitting.

Madison County, AL Siren Map:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LIKGe ... sp=sharing
Collector of railroad crossing equipment, traffic lights, and fans.
I'm 20 years old and a Huntsville, AL native.

Friends don't let friends post videos with tones.

Return to “Videos and Media”