archizackture
YouTube Username: Shako_Lamb

Impromptu film of 3T22 with weird cycle pattern in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia

Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:48 am

This was very unexpected. I had parked my car on the street less than a block away from the fire station while I was in Harpers Ferry (my university is only a 15 minute drive away) and as I was about to get into my car and go, the siren went off. I quickly noticed that it was blowing very short cycles, it barely wound up all the way. It cycled about 6 or 8 times, and each one sounded just like the one in the video. My guess is that it's to reduce disturbance to the historic downtown and park. Unfortunately I only managed to catch the last windup on film. Also, the lower horn that would be facing the camera is missing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3p2IPsE1E4
Architecture preservationist. I enjoy obscure history and mapping things, and grew up around sirens. Not planning to own one.
West Virginia State-wide & Western Maryland Siren Map

siren_face2000

Re: Impromptu film of 3T22 with weird cycle pattern in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia

Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:43 am

I know Mobridge, SD has a siren exactly like this, and it used to go off at, around, or near 10 PM for curfews during the summer, but now it's used as a fire siren, and it does a really iodd tone similar to this when a call comes in. Mobridge, SD does have a volunteer fire department.

archizackture

Re: Impromptu film of 3T22 with weird cycle pattern in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia

Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:35 pm

siren_face2000 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:43 am
I know Mobridge, SD has a siren exactly like this, and it used to go off at, around, or near 10 PM for curfews during the summer, but now it's used as a fire siren, and it does a really iodd tone similar to this when a call comes in. Mobridge, SD does have a volunteer fire department.
Interesting. I wonder if it's one of the original timings that it can be set to, maybe it's intended to also use the dampers but they've been disabled/broken. This is just speculation.
Architecture preservationist. I enjoy obscure history and mapping things, and grew up around sirens. Not planning to own one.

Jake_7367
Discord: Keigo#2002

Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:10 pm

It sounds horrible.
I love Yamaha Music Sirens.
Twitter: Yamaha and Matsush¡ta Enthusiast (@Matsush¡taMan) (replace ¡ with i)

archizackture

Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:35 pm

Jake_7367 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:10 pm
It sounds horrible.
I agree.

Return to “Videos and Media”