DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Cobb County 2810 & Decatur T-121 Tests

Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:51 pm

So I said I'd leave ATL and never come back... I kinda lied. I originally wasn't planning on coming back due to school, but since I finished everything I needed to do early I decided to take a trip to hear a couple sirens. I played it safe this time and went to something more reliable.

Video #1: Kennesaw 2810. Cobb County more or less uses the same activation and control system for their Whelen system as Columbus. Everything operates through a Motorola P25 radio network, albeit phase 1 instead of phase 2, with ACE3600 RTU's controlling the sirens. Considering that this siren went up around the same time our system was installed in Columbus I consider their 2810's brothers to Columbus's sirens. This particular siren was FPU'ed at some point and now sports a 560 Hz ESC-2020. In the background at the beginning you can hear some of Cobb's other sirens, in this case all Vortex-R4's of varying ages, and the KSU system, specifically their I-Force 2400 mainly and E-Class EC-2. The I-Force impressed me. It is a pretty capable siren considering it's a little over a mile away, is rated for roughly 3/4 miles, and managed to cut through the general environment with the buildings and terrain. It's not overwhelming by any means, but it's not bad for a 121 dB siren. The 2810 on the other hand wasn't too impressive. It was a bit quieter than our 2810's on the same controller. It probably has a few dead drivers. Back when I recorded the 2400 in 2017 this was the Whelen in the background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyWZgrQnptU

Video #2: Decatur T-121. I was keen on hearing my first 121, especially after the failure last month. This siren, along with the one on the southeast side of the city, was a fresh install to cover a gap created when they installed the 121's to replace their system of Vortex-R4's. The other siren, located at Decatur's Kitchen Garden, was my intended target, but with time slipping by due to an accident on I-75/85 I made a last minute decision to run to Ebster Pool. This gave me 5 minutes to play with, and I got there 3 minutes before the system went off. This siren has some punch to it. It's maybe slightly quieter than say a 7V8-B, but it's no slouch. This was my second Tempest recording, and between it and the 128 I recorded a few years ago I'm starting to like these sirens more even though I'm not the biggest fan of ASC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY-MhiFxKm8
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

Return to “Videos and Media”