german_siren
YouTube Username: krautscheid

Sirenentest Ambiance in Asbach Rheinland/Pfalz (Rhineland palatinates) Germany

Sat May 02, 2020 11:29 am

As every first saturday in the month the sirens are tested of the functionality. since the beginning of the pandemic its not allowed to go to sports arenas so i needed an other recording place. i am sorry that you hear alot of cars. nevermind here is the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw9fiAKxpUQ

SirensOfNewYork

Re: Sirenentest Ambiance in Asbach Rheinland/Pfalz (Rhineland palatinates) Germany

Thu May 14, 2020 3:09 pm

Why does almost every single European electronic siren look and sound the same? (Telegrafia, SiRcom, Helin, Hormann, APEX, Sonnenburg, etc?) Why isn't there one communal company that produces that one siren?
~SirensOfNewYork

Amateur HVAC, Siren, Car, Plane, and security and fire alarm enthusiast

My profile photo is not mine. It belongs to the creator of the California siren map.

archizackture
YouTube Username: Shako_Lamb

Re: Sirenentest Ambiance in Asbach Rheinland/Pfalz (Rhineland palatinates) Germany

Thu May 14, 2020 3:53 pm

SirensOfNewYork wrote:
Why does almost every single European electronic siren look and sound the same? (Telegrafia, SiRcom, Helin, Hormann, APEX, Sonnenburg, etc?) Why isn't there one communal company that produces that one siren?
If you're thinking of the electronic sirens with narrow, tall horns pointing opposite directions,
1. This video isn't one of those. I'm fairly certain the siren in the video is an E57.
2. That makes no political or economic sense. Who would be in charge of production, the European Union? I do not know what the origin of that design of siren was, but the countries of Europe have market economies where competition is encouraged.
Architecture preservationist. I enjoy obscure history and mapping things, and grew up around sirens. Not planning to own one.
West Virginia State-wide & Western Maryland Siren Map

SirensOfNewYork

Thu May 14, 2020 6:39 pm

archizackture wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 3:53 pm
SirensOfNewYork wrote:
If you're thinking of the electronic sirens with narrow, tall horns pointing opposite directions,
1. This video isn't one of those. I'm fairly certain the siren in the video is an E57.
2. That makes no political or economic sense. Who would be in charge of production, the European Union? I do not know what the origin of that design of siren was, but the countries of Europe have market economies where competition is encouraged.
Oh, I must have been thinking of a different video, I thought this one was it. My computer's being weird and not letting me watch videos, and they take an extremely long time to load. But what I mean is who's original idea was it and why do they all produce the same product?
~SirensOfNewYork

My profile photo is not mine. It belongs to the creator of the California siren map.

archizackture

Fri May 15, 2020 12:17 am

SirensOfNewYork wrote:
Oh, I must have been thinking of a different video, I thought this one was it. My computer's being weird and not letting me watch videos, and they take an extremely long time to load. But what I mean is who's original idea was it and why do they all produce the same product?
That would be an interesting thing to research, though I wouldn't know where to start. I can think of a few things; often multiple companies that make a finished product will source their parts from the same manufacturer, and sometimes a design just happens to work very well and it doesn't have an active patent on it. Different jurisdictions might also have specification requirements for what they choose to install, so a particular design might be the best at covering all the bases that the clients like.
And hey, I can't tell different brands of car apart without looking at their logos!
Architecture preservationist. I enjoy obscure history and mapping things, and grew up around sirens. Not planning to own one.

SirensOfNewYork

Fri May 15, 2020 11:03 am

archizackture wrote:
SirensOfNewYork wrote:
That would be an interesting thing to research, though I wouldn't know where to start. I can think of a few things; often multiple companies that make a finished product will source their parts from the same manufacturer, and sometimes a design just happens to work very well and it doesn't have an active patent on it. Different jurisdictions might also have specification requirements for what they choose to install, so a particular design might be the best at covering all the bases that the clients like.
And hey, I can't tell different brands of car apart without looking at their logos!
I'm wondering if it's something like ICP (International Cooling Products). They produce the same air conditioners but under maybe 6 different brands. So what I'm saying is, is there one company that owns all these siren companies? Is it just like badge engineering?
~SirensOfNewYork

Chem_Boffin_6589
YouTube Username: Alfie Woolard
Discord: Alfie

Fri May 15, 2020 10:23 pm

archizackture wrote:
SirensOfNewYork wrote:

Looking closely at each electronic siren made by different companies, there are a number of differences in their designs and so on. The original idea for it, I believe, stems from Hörmann with their developments in electronic sirens way back when they were combining HLS parts with speaker drivers in the ECL series. The idea was obviously so good and far superior to all other technologies, other compoanies cottoned onto the same design, because it's the best to date. They sound the same because the companies all cottoned onto the same design, yet again. It's also worth noting that they're designed to sound exactly the same as the E-57, because it was incredibly popular. It's also not a good idea to have a monopoly in the industry unless it was a nationalised entity. AT&T would tell you lots about that. It's not badge engineering by the looks of it, because all the designs I've seen work in different ways and are designed in different ways. It's the speaker technology that is the same in all of them.
Alfie Woolard
Federal Signal MC know-it-all.
Installed, initiated and maintains school campus warning system.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtGVVz ... 8BQ47VmdHg

archizackture

Sat May 16, 2020 12:23 am

Chem_Boffin_6589 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 10:23 pm
Looking closely at each electronic siren made by different companies, there are a number of differences in their designs and so on. The original idea for it, I believe, stems from Hörmann with their developments in electronic sirens way back when they were combining HLS parts with speaker drivers in the ECL series. The idea was obviously so good and far superior to all other technologies, other compoanies cottoned onto the same design, because it's the best to date. They sound the same because the companies all cottoned onto the same design, yet again. It's also worth noting that they're designed to sound exactly the same as the E-57, because it was incredibly popular. It's also not a good idea to have a monopoly in the industry unless it was a nationalised entity. AT&T would tell you lots about that. It's not badge engineering by the looks of it, because all the designs I've seen work in different ways and are designed in different ways. It's the speaker technology that is the same in all of them.
Great info! Thanks.

Return to “Videos and Media”