Chicagosiren-hunters
YouTube Username: Midwest Siren Productions
Discord: MegaSparkMach.3

Alertronic AR-1600 Full Attack & Full Alert | Ogden, IA

Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:20 pm

After seeing MetroSignal hit this up a bit over a year ago, I KNEW I had to hear it for myself. It certainly did not disappoint! Check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DOw46M21cY
Proud owner of a Fedelcode Mach. 3 (dual rotor), Model 2, 3 A’s, 2 D’s, J, 76A, Interstate Machines F, Sparton 35, & Darley C987
>>> Track Forward >>>
24, engineer, and has an affinity for old sirens!

SirensOfNewYork

Re: Alertronic AR-1600 Full Attack & Full Alert | Ogden, IA

Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:54 pm

These units are pretty interesting.
It seems the rotator is part of the siren, rather than the siren actually being mounted to the rotator, if you know what I mean.

Noticing the similarities between the rotating Alertronics and Whelens, which sirens came first, and who copied who?
~SirensOfNewYork

Amateur HVAC, Siren, Car, Plane, and security and fire alarm enthusiast

My profile photo is not mine. It belongs to the creator of the California siren map.

uncommonsense

Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:51 am

SirensOfNewYork wrote:
It seems the rotator is part of the siren, rather than the siren actually being mounted to the rotator, if you know what I mean.
What? There's a separate motor in the lower housing that turns the siren on a platform. It's not entirely dissimilar to what they'd use for the T-128 years later.
SirensOfNewYork wrote:
Noticing the similarities between the rotating Alertronics and Whelens, which sirens came first, and who copied who?
Whelens came first. The AR-1600 uses 4-100W drivers into a standard exponential horn. They're stacked one on top of the other. The 6000 uses two 100W drivers channeling into a standard exponential horn. The horns are also stacked one on top of the other. Whelens use one driver per horn and on the 3000 those horns are arranged slightly off kilter from one to avoid cancelation. It's a very similar design but there are distinct differences.

SirensOfNewYork

Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:40 am

uncommonsense wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:51 am
SirensOfNewYork wrote:
What? There's a separate motor in the lower housing that turns the siren on a platform. It's not entirely dissimilar to what they'd use for the T-128 years later.
SirensOfNewYork wrote:
Whelens came first. The AR-1600 uses 4-100W drivers into a standard exponential horn. They're stacked one on top of the other. The 6000 uses two 100W drivers channeling into a standard exponential horn. The horns are also stacked one on top of the other. Whelens use one driver per horn and on the 3000 those horns are arranged slightly off kilter from one to avoid cancelation. It's a very similar design but there are distinct differences.
Yes, what I mean by the rotator BEING a part of the siren is that the motor/rotator is part of the siren rather than being a seperate box.

And referring to the second question you answered, it seems that ACA/ASC took inspiration from a few Whelen sirens, the Quadren a specific example with its brackets and cell shape. The cells are just fatter; if you slimmed them down they would look like a Whelen
~SirensOfNewYork

Amateur HVAC, Siren, Car, Plane, and security and fire alarm enthusiast

My profile photo is not mine. It belongs to the creator of the California siren map.

uncommonsense

Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:31 pm

SirensOfNewYork wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:40 am
And referring to the second question you answered, it seems that ACA/ASC took inspiration from a few Whelen sirens, the Quadren a specific example with its brackets and cell shape. The cells are just fatter; if you slimmed them down they would look like a Whelen
The Quadren has absolutely nothing in common with a Whelen omni. Each quarter of a cell has 4 100-Watt drivers with a horn above and below the cell (meaning every other cell is a dummy). The intent was for the Quadren to be placed in sections, as seen in the ads posted on this site. The circular shape is a natural extension of creating a 360 degree horn. The Quadren shares absolutely no design similarities, besides an unavoidable passing visual similarity, with Whelen.

Return to “Videos and Media”