sirensandfirealarms
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: SuperSirex127
Discord: SuperSirex127#3917

Siren Trip Log: 7/16/21-7/19/21

Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:22 pm

Day 1
I was thinking to myself earlier today about me and my brother's siren photos, and whether I should post them somewhere other than Instagram and YouTube. since Facebook is getting worse and worse as the days go on, I decided "hey, why not post them here instead?". so here's some photos and videos from a little weekend trip me and my family took back in July to visit family and some of my friends who are also in the hobby.

Our first stop on the way up was the little town of Danville, Indiana, to record one of their 9 sirens. I wanted to do this since it wasn't too far out of the way and we would be in the Indianapolis metro around 11 anyway. we got to the T-128 at Gary Eakin Community Park at around 10:30, and the siren went off right at 11. It was much, much louder than I was expecting (surprisingly I had never heard a T-128 up close before then). anyways here's some photos of it.
Head:
Controls:
Full Setup:
Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzXiMiT2ZSI
After this test, we went a little ways north to Lebanon, Indiana to check out one of their many Sentry 20V2Ts that test in attack. Unfortunately, the test was cancelled due to rain in the area. We only got one photo of this one, but at least its a pretty good one.
After that disappointment, we continued on Interstate 65 toward Chicagoland, stopping in Lafayette, Indiana on the way to check out a Federal Signal RSH-10 Thunderbeam.
Head:
Controls:
Full setup:
We originally had plans to see other sirens in the northeast Indiana area, but since we were all getting kinda tired we figured it would be better to just get to Chicagoland. I then got a message from my friend Chris, who lives in Bensenville, Illinois and he asked me if we would meet him at the cyclone at veterans park since that was a siren we wanted to photograph.
Head:
Controls:
No full setup shot on this so here's a different cool shot:
After that, we decided to go eat dinner at a Portillo's that was on the way. by complete coincidence, there was one of Gurnee, Illinois' WPS-4004s right next to it, so we got some pictures of that too.
Head:
Controls:
Full setup:
after that, we reached the final destination of the day: Bristol, Wisconsin. I had been wanting to hear a P-50 for a looooong time, and this was my first chance to hear one. Since this post is starting to get rather long, i think I'll split it into a few posts on the same thread.
Proud owner of 4 Model As(all in a state of disrepair), a USI siren, and a 16-port rotor from a Sterling M-10.

uncommonsense

Re: Siren Trip Log: 7/16/21-7/19/21

Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:16 pm

I was really enjoying this then got to the cliffhanger and was like noooo!

I don’t comment on posts like this much because there’s not much I usually have to say but for some reason I just particularly enjoyed this one and I’m looking forward to the rest

sirensandfirealarms
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: SuperSirex127
Discord: SuperSirex127#3917

Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:32 am

Day 2
The next day, we woke up with excitement, as this is the day that i would be recording and photographing several sirens that i had never previously seen or heard. since we had time to kill before 10, we went out and photographed some other sirens in Kenosha County, likely the most documented system in the entire country. our first stop was this interestingly mounted P-15 at the Pleasant Prairie town hall.
Head:
Controls:
Full unit:
After that, we visited the P-50 in downtown Kenosha. nothing really notable about this one, although it is interesting to note that all the sirens in this county used to be part of the Zion Nuclear Power Plant 10-mile EPZ system, and were refurbished by Fulton Siren Services.
Head:
Controls:
Full unit:
And now for the major part of the trip, finally hearing a P-50 up close after wanting to for 10 years. At around 10, we met with my good friends Mikey, Chris, Tony, Mitchell, and Holly (who you might know better as mn_sirens, SirenDude1003, That Wisco Siren Guy, Montecat 33, and TheSirenGeek) at the P-50 by the Kenosha Subaru dealership in Bristol. we chit chatted for a while while we set up our cameras. I then suddenly realized that I had left my hearing protection in the car, and my parents dropped me and my brother off at the siren so they could visit friends they had in the area. I was about to hear the second loudest siren ever produced without hearing protection. needless to say, I was rather nervous as I have somewhat sensitive hearing. Anyways, 10:30 hit, and the county toned out about a minute later. It wasn't the ear-destroying sound I was expecting, but it was still pretty darn loud. To my surprise, the siren missed the cancel tone, and went on for longer than the normal 30 second test. then it missed it again. and again. and again! By pure luck, this p-50 missed every cancel tone and did the full 3 minute cycle, which is quite a rare sight nowadays. Definitely one of the best siren tests I've been to.
Head:
Controls:
Full unit:
Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA5I2O7yPbI
After that, we went with Holly and Tony to another nearby town that would be testing at noon, a T-135AC/DC in Thiensville, Wisconsin. This one has quite an interesting install, and replaced an ACA SuperBanshee. We chose this one so we could directly compare how loud a T-135AC would be in comparison to an AC/DC. Turns out, its about as loud as a Thunderbolt 1000.
Head:
Full unit:
We then all went to culvers for lunch. somehow Wisconsin culvers tastes much better than culvers in Ohio.
After that, me, Dominic, Tony, and Holly went around the Milwaukee metro looking at the various ACA sirens in the area.
Our first stop was the abandoned Mobil Directo BN44 in Mequon. This was another one that I've wanted to see for a long time. It was deactivated in the 80s when it activated by itself and went off for over an hour before it got shut off and was never turned back on.
Head:
Controls:
Full unit:
Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI7nJU62tqI
We then got to this Allertor at Brown Deer High School. nothing to special here, but still cool since before this I had only ever seen one Allertor before
Head:
Controls:
Full unit:
Then it was time to see another siren I thought I would never see up-close: the legendary Milwaukee Hurricane. God it was so cool to see this thing in person finally.
Head:
Controls and Blower:
Full unit:
Since it was right down the road, we checked out the sirens in ASC's lot, which was pretty dang cool. we tried to get pictures of the Mobil Directo inside, but the glare from the windows made them look bad.
We then went to the Milwaukee Mobil Directo BN52, yet another famous siren that everyone probably knows about already.
Head:
Controls:
Full unit:
We then went to photograph yet another well known siren in Milwaukee County(this is the last one from there i promise): The Whitefish Bay Allertor. This one looks really cool, especially with the old high school building behind it
Head:
Controls:
Full unit:
After all the Milwaukee county shenanigans, it was time to go see the other siren test target of the day: the Edgerton Decot Model 50. But before we get to that, we had to make a stop at a legendary siren that i had seen before: the Johnson Creek SuperBanshee. I visited this back in 2018 when i was visiting family up in that area, and I attempted to film the Decot that's in nearby Jefferson. That's how I found out that their Decot doesn't do noon blasts. Unfortunately, I only had a cheap android phone as a camera, so none of those photos were any good. but now I have my good camera, and I was able to get these.
Head:
Controls:
Full Unit:
Then we hurried over to Edgerton to catch the 5PM blast. They test it every day at Noon and 5PM. Wasn't very loud, but still rather cool to see a Decot in action.
Head:
Full setup:
Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL6Od-gb8Fk
After Edgerton wound down, we made the sudden realization that there's a town nearby that we could go to for a 6PM blast, Brooklyn, Wisconsin.
They have an Equinox and it's rather loud too. It went off a bit early so it startled us. the controls were kinda difficult to photograph, and there was a squirrel making some super weird sounds the whole time we were there.
Head:
Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2N9ZowbYFA
I got a few other photos that day, but this post is getting long so I'll wait until the next one
Proud owner of 4 Model As(all in a state of disrepair), a USI siren, and a 16-port rotor from a Sterling M-10.

siren fan

Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:41 am

Awesome thread man!

Return to “Videos and Media”