Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Re: Whatever happened to the thunderbolt prototypes?

Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:17 am

Tboltguy wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:08 pm
Update: they emailed me some info about the thunderbolt series, but it was just 4 PDFs of manuals for the different thunderbolt series'. I'm gonna try to find someone who worked there at that time or who might know.
Honestly guy, if you want to do that, be prepared to sit in a candle-lit pentagram but not before brushing up on how to channel spirits to communicate with you. I honestly have a feeling that if one still exists, it would have surfaced by now given the mounds of knowledge out there on these things as we speak.
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

OnlineRecords0
Discord: OnlineRecords0

Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:22 am

Ohio_Man wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:42 pm
If someone at federal who remembers the first thunderbolt still worked there they'd be nearly 90. People can point to other people. Paperwork tracks everything. That siren probably had a build receipt, an insurance policy being a demo unit, waybills tracking where it went and at least an asset tag.
Yea, I think most who were alive at that time are likely in a coffin underground.
•OnlineRecords0
occasionally around, who even knows.
8-)

Gil
YouTube Username: gilramirez12

Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:58 pm

Ohio_Man wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:42 pm
If someone at federal who remembers the first thunderbolt still worked there they'd be nearly 90. People can point to other people. Paperwork tracks everything. That siren probably had a build receipt, an insurance policy being a demo unit, waybills tracking where it went and at least an asset tag.
Any “paperwork” is probably long gone. Companies don’t keep records like that forever.

Tboltguy

Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:16 pm

UPDATE: I found an old newspaper clipping about the first test of a thunderbolt prototype in Minneapolis, MN on January 11th, 1952. The article details how it worked and the people that were testing it, and a description of it being tested.

I've attached a screenshot of the page below, you can see a picture of the prototype being tested in the upper right hand corner.
Attachments
thunderboltprototypenewspaper.png
thunderboltprototypenewspaper.png (181.29 KiB) Viewed 2005 times
Very proud owner of a Federal Signal Thunderbolt 1000A, a Federal Sign & Signal Model D, a Federal Sign & Signal STH-10B, and two Federal Signal IC-S2S4s (5 & 13 Port Variants).

Ohio_Man
YouTube Username: Billstern

Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:26 pm

Well done lad! Don't forget local libraries and universities have microfilm archives and similar data. When I was at UC they had some interesting articles when I had the time and energy to look.
21 Y.O. Student welder.

"This is my step van. I never knew my real van."

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:19 am

Very cool! Research like this will yield much more information than emailing the suits at Federal. Search the forum, there are pictures of the prototypes that have been posted before.

Tboltguy

Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:42 am

I've emailed the Minneapolis city clerk to see if he has any info on it since the city clerk is in charge of archives and record keeping.
Very proud owner of a Federal Signal Thunderbolt 1000A, a Federal Sign & Signal Model D, a Federal Sign & Signal STH-10B, and two Federal Signal IC-S2S4s (5 & 13 Port Variants).

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”