CD_Siren
Discord: cdsiren

Re: ACA Hurricane 130 siren

Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:23 pm

Mrmeowmeowclaw wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:24 pm
Bad news. I heard back late at night from the other owner. They said they scrapped it as quickly as they could after people were trying to look for it.
I had a strong feeling this would happen. I can understand why they scrapped it, I don't think they wanted siren enthusiasts crowding around their place in attempts to purchase the siren. It still is quite sad to see another Hurricane 130 vanish.
I still post here, but not as much as I used to. :roll:
Casual enthusiast who lives in the natural state of Arkansas.
Hoping to get a siren someday...
Not the brightest mind, but getting there.

Josh R
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: SWOhioSirens

Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:51 pm

Mrmeowmeowclaw wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:24 pm
Bad news. I heard back late at night from the other owner. They said they scrapped it as quickly as they could after people were trying to look for it.
That really aggravates me. That siren had more value to it than scrap (at least to people like us). I’m sure some of us would have paid good money to save that rare piece of history. It’s also aggravating that they “scrapped it as soon as possible” after people asked about it. It was in their yard for years. I’m sure that thing was worth next to nothing in scrap since it was fiberglass.
Josh Reed
Moderator of The Siren Board
23, Ohio

Owner of a Federal Thunderbolt 1000BT, an AR Timer, and a gray 12 volt siren.

My YouTube Channel

Reactor Cat
YouTube Username: mrmeowmeowclaw

Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:56 pm

It does aggravate me. But I get it. They don't want trespassers trying to take things that don't belong to them. Also, you never know. They could be hiding it just for safekeeping so people don't go and take it. I think when they said that its no longer there and that they scrapped it, They were confirming that it was the siren.
I like snowmobiles and sirens. Who likes snowmobiles. I own a Skidoo Safari 447. Rare engine indeed. Want proof. DM me on discord. Contact ReactorCat#1004 :D :)

Josh R
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: SWOhioSirens

Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:52 pm

Mrmeowmeowclaw wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:56 pm
It does aggravate me. But I get it. They don't want trespassers trying to take things that don't belong to them. Also, you never know. They could be hiding it just for safekeeping so people don't go and take it. I think when they said that its no longer there and that they scrapped it, They were confirming that it was the siren.
Sounds like they were confirming it was the siren. Pretty neat that after all of these years, that it was located! I understand that they don’t want trespassers (I would hope that everyone here would know that’s illegal and wouldn’t do that), but it just seems very rude that they would immediately dispose of it after people showed interest in it. They would probably make more money on it if they sold it instead of scrapping it. It did cross my mind that maybe they’re hiding it and haven’t scrapped it.
Josh Reed
Moderator of The Siren Board
23, Ohio

Owner of a Federal Thunderbolt 1000BT, an AR Timer, and a gray 12 volt siren.

My YouTube Channel

Reactor Cat

Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:20 pm

And the only siren that really has a scrap value is sirens that are metal like the Thunderbolt. Fiberglass doesn't have a good value right now and for a while it hasn't had a good scrap value.
I like snowmobiles and sirens. Who likes snowmobiles. I own a Skidoo Safari 447. Rare engine indeed. Want proof. DM me on discord. Contact ReactorCat#1004 :D :)

FSThunderboltfan1000
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: FSThunderboltfan1000

Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:13 am

Mrmeowmeowclaw wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:20 pm
And the only siren that really has a scrap value is sirens that are metal like the Thunderbolt. Fiberglass doesn't have a good value right now and for a while it hasn't had a good scrap value.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you have no clue what you are talking about. Fiberglass has no value, in fact, it decreases the value of an object taken to a scrapyard. Fiberglass can not be recycled so it has to be disposed of. So if you brought a ACA siren to a scrap yard they would subtract money off due to the fiberglass.
Proud owner of rcm1, model 2,2T,Model A, Thunderbolt 1003, AF timer, FS SS1000, 500SHST
Wisconsin siren services
https://www.swssirens.com

Reactor Cat

Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:56 pm

that's exactly what I meant. But i had no clue what i was talking about.

Snowcube
YouTube Username: Snowcube
Discord: lumex

Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:02 pm

Wow, I'm honestly a little shocked to hear that they DID in fact have it, and considering last year I called them up and offered them some cash for it I feel a little frustrated that they would just go and do this instead. They never really told me they actually had it then though, just that they don't sell things. Kind of cool to know that it was there all this time though. Could you PM me the email they sent you? I'm just curious to see what they said.
I have an unhealthy obsession with mini sirens.
Thingiverse page

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:03 am

One of Darien's old units is now in the possession of Cruz Newberry and the blower is at Sam Compton's.

When you call and offer money for a unit, you have to keep in mind that this is a BUSINESS, not a hobby shop. It's more than likely that they were keeping any units they had to keep existing ones going or to part out in case anything was useable on any other sirens they served. Their main priority isn't to cater to the need of every enthusiast out there, they're a community warning service and their foremost point of order is to provide adequate warning methods for the areas they service. That's why Darien's final Hurricane got replaced with a T-128, because it was just not cost effective or safe to keep the unit in service anymore. It's why so many older units are constantly getting replaced, is due to safety or liability issues or reliability issues. You wouldn't install a Thunderbolt in an area known to have frequent power outages or on a building with no generator or power backup, much like you wouldn't sell a car with a rusted out frame or spoiled food knowingly.

They likely won't get rid of something like that. It's not because they don't care or don't like you, they're doing what's best for their business and their customers.
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

Reactor Cat

Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:29 am

But they said they scrapped it as soon as possible. That's basically saying, Hey it was the siren. We just don't want people trespassing and stealing our stuff.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”