Jared H
YouTube Username: The Siren Seekers
Discord: shodowhater#1003

Re: Are there any more Thunderbolts in Franklin County Ohio?

Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:59 am

Newark's 1000 - which, by the way, is a 1959 5M, is active, it just has a busted rotator. The guy who does the work on it is actually on the board - hey guy, if you see this, you might want to let the city know about that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_EHRLq4ZIo
------------------------------
Apparently the chat room is haunted... -VASirens 2015
Friendly Neighborhood Thunderboltologist, if such a thing exists.

SirokatM1
YouTube Username: Sirokat

Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:12 pm

The Newark Thunderbolt might not even have a rotator in there. If you look at a siren map of Newark, one of their Thunderbeams is awfully close to the back side of the Thunderbolt. Probably just a bit over 3 quarters of a mile away even. That leads me to believe that when the system was installed, the Thunderbolt's rotator never worked or it even may not have one. Either that or the rotator broke at some point, so instead of fixing it they moved that Thunderbeam behind it. It really is an interesting system.
17 year old enthusiast from Columbus, Ohio
Proud owner of:
- Federal Enterprises Model 2
- Federal Electric Model 2 (damaged)
- Federal Electric Type A
- H.O.R. Si-Rex S1
- Federal Electric Model A-5

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:11 pm

SirokatM1 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:12 pm
The Newark Thunderbolt might not even have a rotator in there. If you look at a siren map of Newark, one of their Thunderbeams is awfully close to the back side of the Thunderbolt. Probably just a bit over 3 quarters of a mile away even. That leads me to believe that when the system was installed, the Thunderbolt's rotator never worked or it even may not have one. Either that or the rotator broke at some point, so instead of fixing it they moved that Thunderbeam behind it. It really is an interesting system.
Oh, it's rotator used to work alright. One guy who lived in Newark used to have videos of it as well as some of Newark's other sirens, and was a member of this forum. For personal reasons, he wanted his account here deactivated and shut down his YouTube accounts.
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

Fletch

Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:02 pm

I remember as a kid seeing a Thunderbeam while driving with family in Newark once in the 1990's and I thought it was the most bizarre looking siren ever.

As a side note, anybody remember seeing an SD-10 somewhere in Central Ohio? I'm 100% positive I saw one probably 25 years ago but I can't recall where.

Тһundеrbοlt1000Tfan

YouTube Username: Thunderbolt1000Tfan

Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:57 am

Startug wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:00 am
Тһundеrbοlt1000Tfan wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:48 am
Startug wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:58 pm

I believe that's still active as I've passed it a few times this summer and would occasionally see it in a different position.
Is it still there as of this year? If it is, has it changed positions at all within the past year or so?
Sorry for the extremely late response. I've passed it several times the last few years, and I always look out for it. It's still on top of the building, but its position has not changed at all as it still faces somewhat west. Unless of course there's a beautiful coincidence that every time I pass through, it just happens to rotate itself back to that direction after numerous tests. I doubt that theory though, and I'm guessing it's dead or out of the system. The Thunderbeam is also still standing, but I've never memorized where the plate is facing because it's hard to tell when I'm driving fast on the highway.
I actually managed to finally catch it going off in May of this year (3rd time was the charm). Turns out it has a broken rotator, but besides that, it seems to work just fine. Here's the video I got of it a few months ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_EHRLq4ZIo
Owner of a Federal Sign & Signal Model J siren.

Startug
YouTube Username: Ohio Sirens
Discord: JamesFisch

Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:15 am

CrazyCalvinWilliams wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:15 pm
As some already know, I got the last standing one from the west side of Columbus, but I remember reading somewhere about one still standing downtown near the arena district or something. I don't know... :/
This is a really late response, but I can confirm after living in Columbus for the last few months that there is one Thunderbolt standing. I don't think it's operational, but it's behind the bus garage on Kenny Rd near Lane Ave, somewhat close to the arena district and just west of downtown.
Owner of no sirens currently, but is looking to purchase and restore sirens for communities needing them.

Josh R
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: SWOhioSirens

Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:55 am

Startug wrote:
As some already know, I got the last standing one from the west side of Columbus, but I remember reading somewhere about one still standing downtown near the arena district or something. I don't know... :/
This is a really late response, but I can confirm after living in Columbus for the last few months that there is one Thunderbolt standing. I don't think it's operational, but it's behind the bus garage on Kenny Rd near Lane Ave, somewhat close to the arena district and just west of downtown.
There is one located here as well. I drove up and saw this one and the other one discussed previously in person before.
Josh Reed
Moderator of The Siren Board
23, Ohio

Owner of a Federal Thunderbolt 1000BT, an AR Timer, and a gray 12 volt siren.

My YouTube Channel

Тһundеrbοlt1000Tfan

YouTube Username: Thunderbolt1000Tfan

Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:15 am

Sifed1 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:55 am
Startug wrote:
There is one located here as well. I drove up and saw this one and the other one discussed previously in person before.
That is actually the one I have as my profile photo.
Owner of a Federal Sign & Signal Model J siren.

Purring Cat
YouTube Username: Purring Cat

Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:35 pm

The West Jefferson Thunderbolt may actually be gone, but I'm sure its still there according to Google, it may be awaiting removal.

Startug
YouTube Username: Ohio Sirens
Discord: JamesFisch

Wed May 13, 2020 7:45 pm

The West Jefferson Thunderbolt was there as of late March/early April 2020 when I passed by it. I'll check again this weekend.

Update: I ended up going out for a warm evening drive and drove through West Jefferson. The 1003 is still there.

Owner of no sirens currently, but is looking to purchase and restore sirens for communities needing them.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”