jacob585
YouTube Username: SouthMissouriSirens
Discord: MidMissouriSirens#9512

Sirens of Nevada/Los Vegas

Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:17 am

So I was wondering does anyone have a map/locations of Los Vegas's old CD siren system? Also was it true that Reno NV had 500-DHTTs? Post any info about these sirens in Reno, Las Vegas, or any Nevada towns in general here.
I'm Jacob Ulrich or MidMissouriSirens on youtube.

My Missouri Siren Map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... 57595&z=10

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Re: Sirens of Nevada/Los Vegas

Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:44 am

First, it's Las Vegas. Secondly, Vegas's system as far as anyone knows were 5M bolts from approximately 1963 according to the serial number from what we lovingly call the History Channel Hackjob, that being the Clark County Museum's 1000T head. Most of Vegas's Tbolts were documented on the archive if I recall correctly. One bolt does still exist, it is at a college if I am not mistaken in Vegas or the metro. Yes, it is absolutely true Reno had DHTTs. Where they went after removal is unknown, however it has been theorized the ones in Storey County are ex-Reno although some sources claim they came from a military installation.
Last edited by Brendan W on Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

Someone22

Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:51 am

Yes, Reno had five 500-DHTT sirens, I believe they were sold off to Storey County around 1990 when they stopped testing them. I was only able to find 2 former locations.
Jessie Beck Elementary school
Washoe County Courthouse

Here's a photo of a man standing in front of one.
1967.JPG
1967.JPG (170.76 KiB) Viewed 4294 times

jacob585

Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:01 am

Brendan W wrote:
First, it's Las Vegas. Secondly, Vegas's system as far as anyone knows were 5M bolts from approximately 1963 according to the serial number from what we lovingly call the History Channel Hackjob, that being the Clark County Museum's 1000T head. Most of Vegas's Tbolts were documented on the archive if I recall correctly. One bolt does still exist, it is at a college if I am not mistaken in Vegas or the metro. Yes, it is absolutely true Reno had DHTTs. Where they went after removal is unknown, however it has been theorized the ones in Story County are ex-Reno although some sources claim they came from a military installation.
Do you have a link to the once at this college? I thought the only one still standing was at the airport or something. Also what about the ones in Story county? is there a link to them, and do you mean Storey county Nevada?

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:06 pm

jacob585 wrote:
Brendan W wrote:
First, it's Las Vegas. Secondly, Vegas's system as far as anyone knows were 5M bolts from approximately 1963 according to the serial number from what we lovingly call the History Channel Hackjob, that being the Clark County Museum's 1000T head. Most of Vegas's Tbolts were documented on the archive if I recall correctly. One bolt does still exist, it is at a college if I am not mistaken in Vegas or the metro. Yes, it is absolutely true Reno had DHTTs. Where they went after removal is unknown, however it has been theorized the ones in Story County are ex-Reno although some sources claim they came from a military installation.
Do you have a link to the once at this college? I thought the only one still standing was at the airport or something. Also what about the ones in Story county? is there a link to them, and do you mean Storey county Nevada?
Have a look at the Thunderbolt map. It's on there.
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

jacob585

Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:38 pm

Brendan W wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:06 pm
jacob585 wrote:
Brendan W wrote:
Have a look at the Thunderbolt map. It's on there.
What about the 550s from Reno?

Jbradley66
New User

Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:03 am

jacob585 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:17 am
So I was wondering does anyone have a map/locations of Los Vegas's old CD siren system? Also was it true that Reno NV had 500-DHTTs? Post any info about these sirens in Reno, Las Vegas, or any Nevada towns in general here.
I've actually seen two of the Bolts in Vegas. It was a few years back. One was on top of an elementary school north of Charleston boulevard east of Decatur (pretty sure of the streets). The second was on top of the old County Courthouse building. The one on the elementary school is now gone and they tore down the County Courthouse. I believe that Bolt went to the Las Vegas history museum. The only other one I ever heard of was on top of a fire station on Industrial Boulevard. I didn't ever see that one. Hope this helps.

innovationfanboy2
New User
YouTube Username: SirenNOTanger

Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:03 pm

I live in reno and I did some dinging with the help of the Nevada union of fire chiefs, I made a NV siren map, your welcome.https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing

jacob585

Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:06 pm

innovationfanboy2 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:03 pm
I live in reno and I did some dinging with the help of the Nevada union of fire chiefs, I made a NV siren map, your welcome.https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing
That mystery siren on the map is mystery sirens.... that looks to be a champion with an extended shroud and TWO darley model twos/5TTs on a nearby pole set.

pandafordays7

YouTube Username: Lil Omelet68

Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:13 pm

Does anyone know the exact location of the thunderbolt at McCarran Intl?

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”