DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Re: What type of siren could this be?

Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:31 am

I remember reading somewhere that it was a 10 port single tone Klaxon siren on 60 Hz. It peaks at the right pitch for a 10 port siren running around 3400 RPM. Can't be a Model 2; it has the linear wind up of an induction motor vs the Model 2 which has an exponential wind up being driven by a universal motor. IMHO if someone is going to make a synth like this (amazing!) at least use the right type of wind up... Here's a full length video of the siren: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-sEmR0yPOE You can also hear a kid scream at around 49 seconds in. I'm leaning towards it being a true recording, because you can somewhat make out the pulses made by the chopper and the fact that the 10/12 port siren continues on in attack. Listen closely to it with some headphones. It sounds a bit like a H.O.R. Siro-Drone, compare it to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzmwtb71VZM I've read (keep in mind on YouTube) that the 10/12 siren was anything from a 2T22 to CLM. I think a rotating CLM wouldn't be all that bad of a guess, as the siren in the background sounds like its 12 port chopper is dominant to me, and it sounds like it has two choppers as opposed to one.
*Credit to the video owners*
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

Mark N
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:48 am

^I remember seeing a video of a bunch of wolves howling at this siren, I'll try to find it (see below video). Also, does anyone notice how when only in the wind down does the 12 port chopper dominate? Not only that, but the 10 port chopper on the 10/12 port siren is heard clearly. It alarmist sounds like its running in a weird damper signal (sounds like Pulse Wail): the 10 port damper is the only one that operates, and closes on wind down. Then, until the siren reaches its peak pitch, then it opens. Odd.
As for the main 560ish Hz siren, it has been tossed around as being either a 9 or 10 port HOR Super Sirex with the massive 50HP motor.

Edit: Here is the video. It sounds authentic, and takes place in Chicago, Lincoln Park Zoo, to be exact. Knowing that Chicago had HORs, it might be a fit. Any Chicago CD siren experts want to chime in on what was a possible fit in this area, you're more than welcome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLVUeINV0-M

lilrags16
YouTube Username: lilrags16

Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:44 pm

DJ2226 wrote:I remember reading somewhere that it was a 10 port single tone Klaxon siren on 60 Hz. It peaks at the right pitch for a 10 port siren running around 3400 RPM. Can't be a Model 2; it has the linear wind up of an induction motor vs the Model 2 which has an exponential wind up being driven by a universal motor. IMHO if someone is going to make a synth like this (amazing!) at least use the right type of wind up... Here's a full length video of the siren: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-sEmR0yPOE You can also hear a kid scream at around 49 seconds in. I'm leaning towards it being a true recording, because you can somewhat make out the pulses made by the chopper and the fact that the 10/12 port siren continues on in attack. Listen closely to it with some headphones. It sounds a bit like a H.O.R. Siro-Drone, compare it to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzmwtb71VZM I've read (keep in mind on YouTube) that the 10/12 siren was anything from a 2T22 to CLM. I think a rotating CLM wouldn't be all that bad of a guess, as the siren in the background sounds like its 12 port chopper is dominant to me, and it sounds like it has two choppers as opposed to one.
*Credit to the video owners*
Time for science :wink: I will synthase it up using 10/12
Brandon Ragsdale,
Brandon Ragsdale, Some wild kid

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Re: What type of siren could this be: The "TV/movies" Siren

Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:16 pm

It's a single tone Klaxon.

lilrags16

Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:02 pm

holler wrote:It's a single tone Klaxon.
For the most part, agreed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrUooPLW8JY
Brandon Ragsdale,

EOWS1212man
YouTube Username: BFDfire288

Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:21 pm

The soundclip was also used in the movie "Twister" if I am not mistaken.
Proud owner of a Model A, Model 2, Model 2T and Model 5

lilrags16

Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:49 pm

EOWS1212man wrote:The soundclip was also used in the movie "Twister" if I am not mistaken.
It is over used in "Into the Storm". Also its in an episode of "Quantum leap".
Brandon Ragsdale,

Stevan Z
YouTube Username: ChicagoSirens

Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:35 pm

Mark N wrote:^I remember seeing a video of a bunch of wolves howling at this siren, I'll try to find it (see below video). Also, does anyone notice how when only in the wind down does the 12 port chopper dominate? Not only that, but the 10 port chopper on the 10/12 port siren is heard clearly. It alarmist sounds like its running in a weird damper signal (sounds like Pulse Wail): the 10 port damper is the only one that operates, and closes on wind down. Then, until the siren reaches its peak pitch, then it opens. Odd.
As for the main 560ish Hz siren, it has been tossed around as being either a 9 or 10 port HOR Super Sirex with the massive 50HP motor.

Edit: Here is the video. It sounds authentic, and takes place in Chicago, Lincoln Park Zoo, to be exact. Knowing that Chicago had HORs, it might be a fit. Any Chicago CD siren experts want to chime in on what was a possible fit in this area, you're more than welcome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLVUeINV0-M
Chicago's H.O.Rs have been removed a long time ago. Lincoln Park Zoo had a Mod in front of it. I think the sound was dubbed in because the Mod was not clearly heard in the video.

Mark N
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:38 pm

Stevan Z wrote:Chicago's H.O.Rs have been removed a long time ago. Lincoln Park Zoo had a Mod in front of it. I think the sound was dubbed in because the Mod was not clearly heard in the video.
At the time of the video? Or currently?

Stevan Z
YouTube Username: ChicagoSirens

Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:40 pm

Mark N wrote:
Stevan Z wrote:Chicago's H.O.Rs have been removed a long time ago. Lincoln Park Zoo had a Mod in front of it. I think the sound was dubbed in because the Mod was not clearly heard in the video.
At the time of the video? Or currently?
They were LONG gone at the time of this video.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”