IPS10640
New User

Re: Rockford, Illinois Old System

Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:22 am

I don't know how active this thread is as of right now, but as a Rockfordian myself, I got some information about the sirens.

As far as everyone knows, Rockford consisted of 3 Chrysler Bell Sirens. 1 Atop of said Talcott building, one on top of the Rockford Ordnance/Essex Wire plant (Now Demolished) and one on top of the East Highschool building.

I have heard on and off reports of them running the sirens through the early to mid 60s, some reports saying they stopped testing at 1960 sharp. All of the Sirens were supposedly removed in the 80s, after an estimated 2 decades of silence. I'd like to say late 80s on most of the removals, but my dates aren't completely accurate.

From that point on, the city was sirenless with the exception of the Volunteer Fire stations, which mostly used Federal Signal models (Although I have seen some ACA models, to which I do not remember model names). It was in 2003 when they added the new T-128's. They had installed them after a large, but not tornadic, storm blew through, knocking out power through a large portion of the town. Those still stand at multiple areas today.

With this post, I attached an image of the Ordnance Plant siren, this one was reportedly removed in 1984, but again, my dates are iffy.

But as I know, there were no such ACA Alertors around Rockford whatsoever. I believe there was a Hurricane, and maybe a few others, but no Alertors come to memory within my circles. Belvedere I know had Thunderbolts up until last year, and I remember plenty of Alertors closer in towards Chicago, but none here. Hope I helped!
Attachments
EP-160429667.jpg
The Chrysler on top of the Rockford Ordnance, (Later Essex Wire), company, January 16, 1959.
EP-160429667.jpg (382.4 KiB) Viewed 2715 times
Last edited by IPS10640 on Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just a little warning, I am a little clueless.

Gil
YouTube Username: gilramirez12

Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:51 pm

It is possible that whatever 9/12 port siren that was heard, could have been one of the P-10/15’s that were part of the Exelon Nuclear system. Though I’m not sure if they only had single-tone sirens or not.

fire_freak_57
YouTube Username: sirenfreak57
Discord: firefreak57#0781

Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:56 pm

Gil wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:51 pm
It is possible that whatever 9/12 port siren that was heard, could have been one of the P-10/15’s that were part of the Exelon Nuclear system. Though I’m not sure if they only had single-tone sirens or not.
There was a mix of 9/12 dual tone and 8 Port single tone that Exelon had on their systems over the years from at least the mid-1980’s till about 2013 or 2014, when Fulton began replacing everything with ASC T-128’s and T-135AC/DC’s on the nuclear plant systems around the Chicago area. Some of the nuclear plants recieved ACA P-50’s as well but not sure if any near Rockford did or not.

The reason ACA won a lot of the Nuclear market is because their sirens passed a lot of the extreme weather testing and whatnot that met NRC standards due to their rugged construction, and also because ACA distributors like Werden Electric pushed ACA stuff, if Fulton was around back then they may have as well but I have no idea.

I do know that Winnebago County now has a system of ASC Tempest sirens themselves that they use for severe weather, they use T-128’s and T-135AC/DC’s.
sirenfreak57
Owner of a Allertor 125 Control Cabinet, EOWS Driver, and other odds and ends.
My YouTube Channel | Summit County Siren Map | Cuyahoga County Siren Map

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:59 pm

Sorry if this is off topic, but that photo of the Rockford Ordnance Plant was taken 1/16/1959.

https://www.rrstar.com/article/20160425/NEWS/160429667
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

IPS10640
New User

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:38 am

In relation to the Chrysler Sirens in Rockford, does anyone have any information on the siren listed as "In private possession" listed on the wikipedia page?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Air-raid_Siren

Any extra information regarding which one it was, when it was removed, or any pictures (either before or after removal), would be nice to see/know.

IPS10640
New User

Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:04 am

Quick Update on Old System. I have found a potential image of the siren on the Talcott Building. It looks to be a lighter color than the siren on the Ordnance plant. I am fairly confident that this is image does contain the Chrysler on the Talcott, giving more evidence that this siren did infact exist. Do any of you others see it? I'm pretty sure that is it on the right.
Attachments
Talcott building.jpg
State Street looking West, Circa 1950s (Talcott Building on Right)
Talcott building.jpg (119.9 KiB) Viewed 2572 times

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”