Snowcube
YouTube Username: Snowcube
Discord: lumex

Re: ACA Hurricane 130 siren

Wed May 20, 2020 3:47 pm

Purring Cat wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:10 pm
All remains of Kewaunees ACA Hurricanes are now gone. Just like Davis Besse, Cook, Baxter, Crystal River, Garland, Point Beach and others. Its so sad that a once not so rare gem is extremely hard to find nowadays.
The Baxter hurricane was an unusual exception because it was only replaced after it "suffered a severe mechanical failure, and was in immediate need of replacement" according to a city document. I don't know what exactly went wrong with it. The Brainerd/baxter area still has their old thunderbolts and 2T22s so if the Hurricane was still functional it would probably be there to this day.
I have an unhealthy obsession with mini sirens.
Thingiverse page

OnlineRecords0
Discord: OnlineRecords0

Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:56 pm

Is there any left? Standing, scrap yard, storage, etc.
•OnlineRecords0
occasionally around, who even knows.
8-)

NahIDee
YouTube Username: jcb19 (formerly AGuyNamedJC)
Discord: somebody2950

Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:21 am

The Baxter, MN Hurricane was rumored to have been spotted on Google Satellite in a local scrap yard according to someone on Discord. I'm not 100% sure if this is true, but it is a rumor after all so it's completely possible that this is just a hoax.
Greetings from Saint Paul, Nebraska!

Proud owner of an ACA Alertronic AL-4000, Alertronic AL-6000R, Penetrator-15, Cyclone 120, Type-1 Allertor 125, a Federal Model C, and a Klaxon Mono AH!

OnlineRecords0

Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:29 am

nahIDee wrote:
The Baxter, MN Hurricane was rumored to have been spotted on Google Satellite in a local scrap yard according to someone on Discord. I'm not 100% sure if this is true, but it is a rumor after all so it's completely possible that this is just a hoax.

Address?
•OnlineRecords0
8-)

NahIDee

Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:35 am

ObritSeven wrote:
nahIDee wrote:

Address?
46.328605, -94.198623 The pin should be set on a yellow object, which measures about 6 feet according to Google's measuring system. This might be the Hurricane 130 in question, along with the pole that it once stood on right next to it.

Proud owner of an ACA Alertronic AL-4000, Alertronic AL-6000R, Penetrator-15, Cyclone 120, Type-1 Allertor 125, a Federal Model C, and a Klaxon Mono AH!

OnlineRecords0

Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:38 am

nahIDee wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:35 am
ObritSeven wrote:
nahIDee wrote:

Address?
46.328605, -94.198623 The pin should be set on a yellow object, which measures about 6 feet according to Google's measuring system. This might be the Hurricane 130 in question, along with the pole that it once stood on right next to it.
Thank you!
•OnlineRecords0
8-)

Snowcube
YouTube Username: Snowcube
Discord: lumex

Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:45 pm

nahIDee wrote:
I'm the one who found whatever that was. Basically, it's a yellow object that seems to resemble the shape of the other Hurricane MK1 from Centralia, IL, but the image is too distorted to tell for sure. I used the measuring function and the dimensions of the object measured up to be pretty much the same as what's listed in the Hurricane MK1 manual. I attached a screenshot below. This imagery is from 2015 so I have no idea if it's still there or not, but I'm going to try and get in contact with the owners of the place and maybe send them a picture of the other square horn hurricane along with an offer of some cash for it if they do have it. I have no idea if this is actually the old siren or not, but the fact that it's color and measurements match up along with the fact that it's laying next to a 40 foot long pole make this too suspicious to pass up.
Attachments
hurricanescrap.PNG
hurricanescrap.PNG (293.23 KiB) Viewed 4016 times
I have an unhealthy obsession with mini sirens.
Thingiverse page

OnlineRecords0

Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:25 pm

Zarlog wrote:
nahIDee wrote:
I'm the one who found whatever that was. Basically, it's a yellow object that seems to resemble the shape of the other Hurricane MK1 from Centralia, IL, but the image is too distorted to tell for sure. I used the measuring function and the dimensions of the object measured up to be pretty much the same as what's listed in the Hurricane MK1 manual. I attached a screenshot below. This imagery is from 2015 so I have no idea if it's still there or not, but I'm going to try and get in contact with the owners of the place and maybe send them a picture of the other square horn hurricane along with an offer of some cash for it if they do have it. I have no idea if this is actually the old siren or not, but the fact that it's color and measurements match up along with the fact that it's laying next to a 40 foot long pole make this too suspicious to pass up.
Unfortunately the stuff in there yard is not for sale. :cry:
•OnlineRecords0
8-)

NahIDee

Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:39 am

Zarlog wrote:
Here's something I found on the 2013 satellite image, it has a somewhat similar shape to that of a Hurricane 130 and is also around six feet in length. It could entirely be something else but I guess we'll have to wait and hear from the owners of the lot themselves.
Attachments
0c1f79a9b2fc7ba8672dcb22ab706565.png
0c1f79a9b2fc7ba8672dcb22ab706565.png (85.64 KiB) Viewed 3989 times

Ohio_Man
YouTube Username: Billstern

Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:00 am

Asking nicely also gets you very far. I got a 3 minute meetup with the mayor of Deer Park after asking about preserving their siren. He gave me the number for the city manager and he said It was mine for the low low price of if you can get it down.

To quote crazy Eddie Antar "You can steal more with a smile than a gun."

Most scrapyards have some stuff they will never scrap. Manhole covers, railroad tracks, things that are someone else's property. It wouldn't surprise me if they were hesitant to scrap something that is/was federal property. If they can't sell scrap,trade it. Or give them more than what it costs scrap value. If it's historical (which it is) you can use that angle till it bends straight.

Not to mention that due to covid steel demand is down, as is the rest of the economy and they may be able to be persuaded to sell the siren since they're probably being flooded with scrappers dumping stuff trying to make a quick buck like at the 3 yards near my place (Cohen Iron and metal, David hirschberg and garden street)

Sirens also aren't much scrap value wise, especially supercharged ones. A used car weighs about 3,000lbs, and a thunderbolt (can't find hurricane weight) is around a third of that.

There's a reason most old sirens are left standing. Cincinnati still has a lot of roof mounted SD 10's and Thunderbolts, because the cost of removing them is more than the cost of scrapping them.

Funny story, the manager of Deer Park told me that someone asked about scrapping their sterling and never got back to him after promising to do so. Probably because the cost of getting a crane and crew to remove and transport the thing would cost more than it would pay.

The siren weighs 300lbs, and with a scrap motor value at .28 cents a pound now, that's only 84 dollars, and that's being generous.

I'd pick up the hurricane while scrap is cheap. Tell them a story. throw some facts, stats and stacks on the table. It's already down so that's a time saver right there.
21 Y.O. Student welder.

"This is my step van. I never knew my real van."

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”