Ohio_Man
YouTube Username: Billstern

Sterling M10 Weight?

Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:13 am

So my Friendly neighborhood city Manager said I could have the 97 year old sterling M10 that's been dormant since I was born (1999) for FREE if I can get it off the fire station.

So before I get too excited, How much does one of these things weigh? My quarter ton truck can tow 2500 pounds. It can carry 1600 in the bed stock, I forgot what the dualsport package adds.

I should also add this things on the roof of a 1 and a half story building. My current Idea for getting it down is to use the city's front end loader to lift its front bucket up to the roof. Then me, my brother and our friends (think like 4 high school football players) lower the siren into the loader's bucket.

I should Make it clear I don't have the budget to rent a crane, and this thing is going to one of three historical societies (First one that responds after this covid 19 thing cools off). The front end loader is already at the fire station, It was turned into the city car barn in the late 90's.

This will be the first siren I've ever handled so good advice is appreciated.
Last edited by Ohio_Man on Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
21 Y.O. Student welder.

"This is my step van. I never knew my real van."

fire_freak_57
YouTube Username: sirenfreak57
Discord: firefreak57#0781

Re: Sterling M10 Weight?

Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:41 pm

Where in Ohio is this Sterling at by chance? I know there's a handful of M series units scattered across the state.
In my county (Greene), there is an inactive unit located atop a building in the Village of Jamestown, which was replaced with an STH-10 in 1996.

I can't think of any other roof mounts off the top of my head but I'm sure there's more.
sirenfreak57
Owner of a Allertor 125 Control Cabinet, EOWS Driver, and other odds and ends.
My YouTube Channel | Summit County Siren Map | Cuyahoga County Siren Map

Siren_Dude

Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:46 pm

Ohio_Man wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:13 am
So my Friendly neighborhood city Manager said I could have the 97 year old sterling M10 that's been dormant since I was born (1999) for FREE if I can get it off the fire station.

So before I get too excited, How much does one of these things weigh? My quarter ton truck can tow 2500 pounds. It can carry 1600 in the bed stock, I forgot what the dualsport package adds.

I should also add this things on the roof of a 1 and a half story building. My current Idea for getting it down is to use the city's front end loader to lift its front bucket up to the roof. Then me, my brother and our friends (think like 4 high school football players) lower the siren into the loader's bucket.

I should Make it clear I don't have the budget to rent a crane, and this thing is going to one of three historical societies (First one that responds after this covid 19 thing cools off). The front end loader is already at the fire station, It was turned into the city car barn in the 80's.

This will be the first siren I've ever handled so good advice is appreciated.
I owned two of these at one point and they are fairly heavy but not close enough to max out your pick up bed weight. Id guess it to be between 250-350 pounds
Your Canadian Siren Expert!
https://www.youtube.com/c/ColdWarCanada

Ohio_Man
YouTube Username: Billstern

Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:59 pm

fire_freak_57 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:41 pm
Where in Ohio is this Sterling at by chance? I know there's a handful of M series units scattered across the state.
In my county (Greene), there is an inactive unit located atop a building in the Village of Jamestown, which was replaced with an STH-10 in 1996.

I can't think of any other roof mounts off the top of my head but I'm sure there's more.
It's on top of the old Deer Park fire department in Hamilton county. The building is now the city car barn, so there's no real need for the siren. The new station has an ASC Tempest 128 behind it on a pole.

What's weird about this siren is that it looks like its sitting on a stand for an HOR super sirex. I'll try to get pictures of it.

The sterling was installed in 1923 on the Original fire station. There's a picture in the town hall of the fire brigade with the wooden station and siren in the background. A newer station was built in the 50's/60's and was used until the late 90's when the Deer Park/Silverton joint fire district was formed.

What makes me think the stand belongs to an HOR is that in the picture in the town hall, the siren doesn't have the stand. When you look at the 50's station/new car barn today, it has the stand. Most roof mount Sterlings on Youtube don't have a 4 legged tripod (quadpod?) usually the HOR's do.

The sterling M series on Colerain station 26 doesn't have the stand now that I think of it.

Maybe they had an HOR but it died so they just threw the old sterling on?

You can see the siren on google earth, https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2051794 ... a=!3m1!1e3 , its in the square of squares on the roof.
21 Y.O. Student welder.

"This is my step van. I never knew my real van."

sirensandfirealarms
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: SuperSirex127
Discord: SuperSirex127#3917

Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:16 pm

definitely not an HOR stand, as they are much smaller and shorter.
Proud owner of 4 Model As(all in a state of disrepair), a USI siren, and a 16-port rotor from a Sterling M-10.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”