SirensOfAustralia
YouTube Username: SirensAndTrainsDownUnder

Whelen Controller Questions

Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:39 am

Lately I’ve seen various photos of whelens and their controllers and them sounding off. For me I have absolutely no clue how to determine different whelen controllers. Some ESCs have battery backup and some don’t, this makes it slightly harder for me to tell which controller is which. I’ll list my questions below to give you an idea what I want to know.

- What do Analog Controllers look like?
- What do Digital Controllers look like?
- How can I tell what ESC it is by its sound?
- How can I tell what ESC it is by only looking at the controller?
- How can I tell if the ESC is analog or digital?

Also below is some photos that mind boggle me.
Attachments
BC14C6D2-3079-48B9-B2D5-9BD8AC633F36.jpeg
BC14C6D2-3079-48B9-B2D5-9BD8AC633F36.jpeg (470.13 KiB) Viewed 11742 times
5490196E-3DC8-4230-A3D3-301E409D2121.jpeg
5490196E-3DC8-4230-A3D3-301E409D2121.jpeg (8.94 KiB) Viewed 11742 times
85927524-AB3F-4FA8-8A7B-0A479DDBD928.jpeg
85927524-AB3F-4FA8-8A7B-0A479DDBD928.jpeg (61.09 KiB) Viewed 11742 times
EAA11D76-04AC-49B1-AE93-797CA80EDA2A.jpeg
EAA11D76-04AC-49B1-AE93-797CA80EDA2A.jpeg (54.42 KiB) Viewed 11742 times
A siren enthusiast down under. :)

Proud owner of a Skil Sher Wailing Joe & Alarm Master!

uncommonsense

Re: Whelen Controller Questions

Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:05 am

SirensOfAustralia wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:39 am
Lately I’ve seen various photos of whelens and their controllers and them sounding off. For me I have absolutely no clue how to determine different whelen controllers. Some ESCs have battery backup and some don’t, this makes it slightly harder for me to tell which controller is which. I’ll list my questions below to give you an idea what I want to know.

- What do Analog Controllers look like?
- What do Digital Controllers look like?
- How can I tell what ESC it is by its sound?
- How can I tell what ESC it is by only looking at the controller?
- How can I tell if the ESC is analog or digital?

Also below is some photos that mind boggle me.
All Whelens are battery backed. Period. Currently produced are three types of boxes:

Type I: Combined battery and controls used for Vortex, OA, and Hornet.

Type II: One separate battery tray, holds 1-5 PowerMaster amps, used for 4000 and 2901-2905 sirens.

Type III: Two separate battery trays, holds 6-10 PowerMaster amps, used for 2906-2910 sirens.

Your questions represent a vast oversimplification. You really can’t tell what kind of controller or tone you’re going to get by looking at the box. Some older boxes have been retrofitted with new electronics and ESC-864 digital/analog sirens used similar looking boxes.

As for analog or digital 864, you need to simply search YouTube for examples. Anything 2020 or 2030 driven is also all digital.

SirensOfNewYork

Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:40 am

If I'm watching a Whelen siren video, the easiest way to tell an analog is the windup. They have an exponential windup, and start very sudden. Also, analog Whelen wail usually sounds more like a traditional attack, winding up to a high tone for a few seconds then winding down, as opposed to today's rising-falling tone. I've never understood what fully makes the controller analog, but I've learned to identify by the sound.
~SirensOfNewYork

Amateur HVAC, Siren, Car, Plane, and security and fire alarm enthusiast

My profile photo is not mine. It belongs to the creator of the California siren map.

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:18 pm

Brief Whelen Controller history...

The Whelen "Electronic Siren Controller", or ESC, started production with the introduction of their first Outdoor Warning Sirens in the '70s, the WS-1000 series. The controller shipped with these was analog, which means they featured older, adjustable controls, such as a pitch potentiometer. Think of these as the Whelen equivalent of the SiraTone. This was known as the "ESC-3000" controller, although I'm sure a different name exists. These are the ones with the graceful wail signal, such as Puyallup, Washington's WS-3000 and Fort Wayne, Indiana's Cell Tower WS-2000-115. Mount Pleasant, Michigan has two remaining "ESC-3000" controllers, both abandoned. I'll have to check and see if photos exist of the insides.

Sometime in the Mid-to Late '80s, Whelen switched some of the internal components and marketed their second, and last, Analog controller, the ESC-864-D. This is the controller more commonly seen on Analog Whelens, such as old-style 4004 heads and WS-2000-115s. These are distinguishable by their quick, sudden Wind-Up, whereas the "3000" has a slower windup. Analog controllers weren't as susceptible to hardware failures and pitch shifts as the SiraTone, but these kinds of failures still can occur over time as these controllers age. This is part of the reason why they're becoming less and less common.

Whelen's ESC-864-A was manufactured until around 1996 or 1997, when their first Digital Controller entered the market - the ESC-864-D. It featured digital circuitry and computer-based controls. It peaked at 465Hz from the factory, but this could be changed upon special request or programming. The ESC-864-D was introduced with the Newer-Style 4004 head and the Vortex series. It was manufactured until around 2003, when Whelen's next Digital controller was introduced - the ESC-2020.

This was the problematic controller. Originally set to peak at 450Hz, a silent test (polling) would cause the boards inside to "glitch" and drift down to 435Hz, which is the frequency most ESC-2020s run at. Later attempts to rectify this issue by setting the tone to 560Hz from the factory would cause drifts down to 530Hz, sometimes permanently. Famous examples exist in Columbus, Ohio and somewhere in Georgia I'm forgetting at the moment.

The framework for later ESC-2020 controllers would pave the way for the current, and possibly best, Whelen Digital Controller - the ESC-2030, introduced around 2008. It had received upgrades inside the controller that would no longer cause pitch drifts, was 560Hz, and was easily programmable to run other pitches. This is the controller most newer Whelen installs utilize, and is still in production today.

All Digital Whelen Controllers are programmable to run other signals, such as European signals. Famous examples of this include McKinney, Texas running Best Possible Protection, another town in Texas doing the same thing, and Deerfield Township, Michigan's 4004.

Other variants of all Digital controllers exist. Type I, Type II, Voice-Capable, Non Voice-Capable, the OA/VortexO/WPS-28X controllers, controllers with extra amplifiers or battery compartments, and a few more revisions. It's difficult to tell them apart just by looking at the outsides, but hearing them or seeing the internals can help identify.
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

SirensOfAustralia

Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:48 am

nvanw27 wrote:

The Whelen "Electronic Siren Controller", or ESC, started production with the introduction of their first Outdoor Warning Sirens in the '70s, the WS-1000 series. The controller shipped with these was analog, which means they featured older, adjustable controls, such as a pitch potentiometer. Think of these as the Whelen equivalent of the SiraTone. This was known as the "ESC-3000" controller, although I'm sure a different name exists. These are the ones with the graceful wail signal, such as Puyallup, Washington's WS-3000 and Fort Wayne, Indiana's Cell Tower WS-2000-115. Mount Pleasant, Michigan has two remaining "ESC-3000" controllers, both abandoned. I'll have to check and see if photos exist of the insides.

Sometime in the Mid-to Late '80s, Whelen switched some of the internal components and marketed their second, and last, Analog controller, the ESC-864-D. This is the controller more commonly seen on Analog Whelens, such as old-style 4004 heads and WS-2000-115s. These are distinguishable by their quick, sudden Wind-Up, whereas the "3000" has a slower windup. Analog controllers weren't as susceptible to hardware failures and pitch shifts as the SiraTone, but these kinds of failures still can occur over time as these controllers age. This is part of the reason why they're becoming less and less common.

Whelen's ESC-864-A was manufactured until around 1996 or 1997, when their first Digital Controller entered the market - the ESC-864-D. It featured digital circuitry and computer-based controls. It peaked at 465Hz from the factory, but this could be changed upon special request or programming. The ESC-864-D was introduced with the Newer-Style 4004 head and the Vortex series. It was manufactured until around 2003, when Whelen's next Digital controller was introduced - the ESC-2020.

This was the problematic controller. Originally set to peak at 450Hz, a silent test (polling) would cause the boards inside to "glitch" and drift down to 435Hz, which is the frequency most ESC-2020s run at. Later attempts to rectify this issue by setting the tone to 560Hz from the factory would cause drifts down to 530Hz, sometimes permanently. Famous examples exist in Columbus, Ohio and somewhere in Georgia I'm forgetting at the moment.

The framework for later ESC-2020 controllers would pave the way for the current, and possibly best, Whelen Digital Controller - the ESC-2030, introduced around 2008. It had received upgrades inside the controller that would no longer cause pitch drifts, was 560Hz, and was easily programmable to run other pitches. This is the controller most newer Whelen installs utilize, and is still in production today.

All Digital Whelen Controllers are programmable to run other signals, such as European signals. Famous examples of this include McKinney, Texas running Best Possible Protection, another town in Texas doing the same thing, and Deerfield Township, Michigan's 4004.

Other variants of all Digital controllers exist. Type I, Type II, Voice-Capable, Non Voice-Capable, the OA/VortexO/WPS-28X controllers, controllers with extra amplifiers or battery compartments, and a few more revisions. It's difficult to tell them apart just by looking at the outsides, but hearing them or seeing the internals can help identify.
Off topic here but, how is the Whelen 2000-115 in Fort Wayne you mentioned going? I saw a video years ago on it and it sounded like it’s like it’s not gonna hold on anymore.

SirensOfNewYork

Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:08 am

SirensOfAustralia wrote:
nvanw27 wrote:

Off topic here but, how is the Whelen 2000-115 in Fort Wayne you mentioned going? I saw a video years ago on it and it sounded like it’s like it’s not gonna hold on anymore.
That would be a huge shame! That's one of my all-time favorite mounts.
~SirensOfNewYork

Amateur HVAC, Siren, Car, Plane, and security and fire alarm enthusiast

My profile photo is not mine. It belongs to the creator of the California siren map.

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:28 pm

SirensOfAustralia wrote:
nvanw27 wrote:

As far as I know, it's still working. Homeland Security hasn't marked it as failed yet. That issue at the beginning is probably due to the age of the analog controls, seeing as how they're 35 years old, plus mounted in a strange place. It isn't interference like some have speculated.
-Nik VW

SirensOfAustralia

Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:57 am

nvanw27 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:28 pm
SirensOfAustralia wrote:
nvanw27 wrote:

As far as I know, it's still working. Homeland Security hasn't marked it as failed yet. That issue at the beginning is probably due to the age of the analog controls, seeing as how they're 35 years old, plus mounted in a strange place. It isn't interference like some have speculated.
Is there any other ESC-3000s in existence? I’m thinking of mapping them maybe but I have no experience creating maps.

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:38 pm

SirensOfAustralia wrote:
Is there any other ESC-3000s in existence? I’m thinking of mapping them maybe but I have no experience creating maps.
This is beyond the scope of this topic, but yes. There are still quite a few still out there.
-Nik VW

SirensOfAustralia

Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:07 pm

nvanw27 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:38 pm
SirensOfAustralia wrote:
This is beyond the scope of this topic, but yes. There are still quite a few still out there.
Yeah we’ll have to split this topic. I’ll create a new one

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”