Allenorgan42099

Re: RIP Southington, CT First Gen Model 5

Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:46 am

500AT wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:09 am
This Federal Model 5 was built and installed in the spring of 1931 in Saline, Michigan. The siren in this thread looks like it has a modified outer shroud, or one that might have been made in a sheet metal shop.

ImageSaline Model 5A by Ronnie, on Flickr
Hmm...I thought Model Xs from that time had the Fedelcode housing with the bottom louver more vertical than this? Maybe this one replaced a Fedelcode? If I'm not mistaken, this style was introduced around 1950 or so.

500AT

Re: RIP Southington, CT First Gen Model 5

Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:15 am

Allenorgan42099 wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:46 am
500AT wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:09 am
This Federal Model 5 was built and installed in the spring of 1931 in Saline, Michigan. The siren in this thread looks like it has a modified outer shroud, or one that might have been made in a sheet metal shop.

ImageSaline Model 5A by Ronnie, on Flickr
Hmm...I thought Model Xs from that time had the Fedelcode housing with the bottom louver more vertical than this? Maybe this one replaced a Fedelcode? If I'm not mistaken, this style was introduced around 1950 or so.
According to several of older firefighters back in the 1980s, they said this siren was installed in 1931. The city did a have an older Model "B" from Federal, but that siren was located further north in the city near the railroad station. That said, many people in the city remember when this siren was used for air-raid drills during World War II. Sadly, this siren went to the scrap yard before it could be saved.

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

"When your siren's a failin', chances are it's a Whelen."

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”