Tally Ho

STH-10 With AR Timer Help

Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:46 am

I bought a STH-10A siren recently and a few days ago I purchased a Federal AR timer. The ID tag on the STH-10's motor reads, 3 Phase - 208-240/480 Volts - 60 HZ - 15 MIN. Duty Cycle - 10 H.P - 3470 R.P.M - 34/17 F.L Amps and STH10A Model. In order to run this thing, is that all I will need? just the AR timer and STH-10? or will I need more equipment? On the AR timer there is a knockout on the top with wires coming out and on the junction box on the motor for the STH-10 there are also wires coming out. The AR timer and STH-10 both have the same colored wires. Do I just connect those wires together color coded? or do I have to do/get some other stuff? If that's all I have to do, then I think I'll put some of those splice electrical connector things on the wires and maybe put conduit around the wires. One more thing I forgot to mention, I recently cleaned out the stator and rotor. The rotor now spins pretty freely and I think I will keep it the color it is. It's that nice classic gray color. Not too much rust either on mine. Please let me know if I need anything else to do or if I am on the right track. Thanks. Also, this is what my friend recommended me to do, just connect the wires from the AR to the siren.

Stormsetter4
YouTube Username: Stormsetter4

Re: STH-10 With AR Timer Help

Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:04 am

No, you will need a motor starter of suitable size to control the siren motor. The AR is only designed to control the motor starter. DO NOT attempt to run the siren motor off of the AR directly. You will also need a 3 phase source of power to run the siren which most residences do not have. If you don't have any background knowledge on 3 phase electrical power and it's components, I would recommend that you try not to mess with it. It is not forgiving and is extremely dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.
-Cruz Newberry
Table Rock Alerting Systems, LLC
Emergency Alerting Systems for Communities & Industry

Website

Youtube Channel

Tally Ho

Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:36 am

Stormsetter4 wrote:
No, you will need a motor starter of suitable size to control the siren motor. The AR is only designed to control the motor starter. DO NOT attempt to run the siren motor off of the AR directly. You will also need a 3 phase source of power to run the siren which most residences do not have. If you don't have any background knowledge on 3 phase electrical power and it's components, I would recommend that you try not to mess with it. It is not forgiving and is extremely dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.
Could you recommend me a contactor/motor starter for the sth10? Yeah you're right, I don't have three phase power where I am sadly so dunno what I can really do :/ I guess the only way to really run this beast is to get a rotary phase converter or something like a generator. How do you think I should run this? Just a temporary way? Maybe call over an electrician? Dunno. Just really wanna get this thing running so please help me out.

Stormsetter4
YouTube Username: Stormsetter4

Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:39 am

Tally Ho wrote:
Stormsetter4 wrote:
Could you recommend me a contactor/motor starter for the sth10? Yeah you're right, I don't have three phase power where I am sadly so dunno what I can really do :/ I guess the only way to really run this beast is to get a rotary phase converter or something like a generator. How do you think I should run this? Just a temporary way? Maybe call over an electrician? Dunno. Just really wanna get this thing running so please help me out.
Calling an electrician would probably be your best bet.
-Cruz Newberry
Table Rock Alerting Systems, LLC
Emergency Alerting Systems for Communities & Industry

Website

Youtube Channel

Tally Ho

Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:00 am

Stormsetter4 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:39 am
Tally Ho wrote:
Stormsetter4 wrote:
Calling an electrician would probably be your best bet.
Alright. Could you still try to recommend me a good contactor for a 3 phase 240 siren? I think my STH-10 draws 60 amps. I actually have an old fused Siemens 60 amp 240VAC fused general duty safety switch. So all I need now is a three phase power supply and contactor? So yeah, just please recommend me a good contactor/motor starter for this siren and I'll talk with an electrician soon about the three phase and see if he knows what to do.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:29 am

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Motor-S ... or+starter

You can find them used on eBay for much cheaper

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”