Tyler
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: Thunderbolt10031

Re: Plano WPS-4008 Removal Spree

Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:32 pm

I've never quite understood the concept of replacing an electronic siren just because it's old. A controller upgrade essentially makes an old siren head new again if the old controllers are being a nuisance. 4008s are great sirens and relatively easy to keep running especially since it shares parts with the 4004. Why replace them?
My knowledge excels on the Federal Thunderbolt siren and SiraTone EOWS sirens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud owner of
2014 Federal UltraVoice UVICU
1981 SiraTone C/B prototype
1984 SiraTone C/B

FahmiRBLX
YouTube Username: FahmiRBLX

Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:52 pm

Tyler wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:32 pm
I've never quite understood the concept of replacing an electronic siren just because it's old. A controller upgrade essentially makes an old siren head new again if the old controllers are being a nuisance. 4008s are great sirens and relatively easy to keep running especially since it shares parts with the 4004. Why replace them?
Good question. I think it's due to coverage issues.

Rotating sirens have a higher sound output most of the time carries for distances, however the sound is projected at a narrow beam. This 'delays' the warning broadcasts. This is why these kinds are common at loosely populated areas, or as fire sirens.

Omnidirectional sirens project sound around (Or at two sides) at a lower sound output, most of the time didn't carry really far. This is why these kinds are common in densely populated areas (RIP Chicago, IL Thunderbolts, MODs takes over. It'll be lovely if the 'Bolts sound too).
A Muslim Malaysian, a siren & aviation enthusiast, and gamer.

Mini Mobil Directo Project
Sirens in Malaysia Thread

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:16 pm

From what I understand the main reason why they are replacing them is because they don't want rotating sirens in general. There's a slight problem with this though. The WPS-4008 is a siren capable of delivering a 2 mile range. Its output is roughly the same as an ASC T-135 AC/DC. The 2810 and 2910 are comparable to the WPS-4004, so it's output is roughly the same as a T-128 AC/DC. A lot of their 4008s were installed far away from the surrounding sirens, and I'm guessing that's because they added the 2810's in such a way that they were worked around the range of the 4008's. In some cases there's a 1.7 mile distance between some of their sirens. The 4008 can facilitate that pretty easily, but that's a bit of a stretch for a 2910. On a clear day it'll be audible and work just fine, but in the middle of a storm with loud noise and wind blowing the sound around that changes pretty quickly. The added benefit of having them closer together is that if one fails at least the residents will still be able to hear the surrounding sirens. With the distance between some of them that's not going to be the case.
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

WhammyP-50

Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:49 pm

DJ2226 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:16 pm
From what I understand the main reason why they are replacing them is because they don't want rotating sirens in general. There's a slight problem with this though. The WPS-4008 is a siren capable of delivering a 2 mile range. Its output is roughly the same as an ASC T-135 AC/DC. The 2810 and 2910 are comparable to the WPS-4004, so it's output is roughly the same as a T-128 AC/DC. A lot of their 4008s were installed far away from the surrounding sirens, and I'm guessing that's because they added the 2810's in such a way that they were worked around the range of the 4008's. In some cases there's a 1.7 mile distance between some of their sirens. The 4008 can facilitate that pretty easily, but that's a bit of a stretch for a 2910. On a clear day it'll be audible and work just fine, but in the middle of a storm with loud noise and wind blowing the sound around that changes pretty quickly. The added benefit of having them closer together is that if one fails at least the residents will still be able to hear the surrounding sirens. With the distance between some of them that's not going to be the case.
In addition to the ten new 2910s that replaced the 4008s (that were removed), they are adding six 2910s in, bringing the total number of sirens in Plano to 43.
"... Sometimes moving against the current is as easy as going with it... "

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”