Whelenfan2802

Whelen Eveacuation voice message

Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:35 pm

Had Any whelen Sirens Had to use the Evacuation message? I came across The Evacuation messages on Whelens site.
Jessica. Wishes To own these Sirens: Whelen 2800 or 2900, FS 2001 DC, FS MOD 2008 and A Thunderbolt.

MKIIProductions
YouTube Username: MKIIProductions
Discord: ncognito#6466

Re: Whelen Eveacuation voice message

Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:53 pm

Hi there, Jessica.

Yes, in certain circumstances (in some systems, all circumstances), Whelen systems do use voice messages. You will hear this especially in newer systems, but here is a more primitive example of the messages you're talking about. This particular system is in Franklin County, Ohio - and this video was taken almost thirteen years ago (August, 2006) during an actual tornado warning!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL9XyY9X0dM

I hope this answers the question you had. If you need anything; holler at us here on ARS again.

Yours--

J
The unofficial ARS resident white noise since 2010
http://www.youtube.com/MKIIProductions
Jacob Green - 25, Wichita, Kansas
You can buy any radio you want, just don't buy a Baofeng and call it a scanner.

ONLY YOU CAN PREVENT MALICIOUS ACTIVATIONS

WPS4004Man

Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:04 am

Apparently, they got rid of the voice message because it made people go outside to hear what the voice is saying. But the county still spends the extra money to buy 4004s instead of Vortexes and they still test voice on the first Wednesday (Alert tests are every Wednesday at noon). On the county's website, they justify this by saying PA will be used in a non-tornado warning emergency, but I find it a waste of money if they don't frequently use it.
Sentry rules, ATI's are for fools.

Living in Central Ohio, the Whelen capital of the country.

Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: DL1011

Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:57 pm

Voice messaging makes good sense in specific applications. In industrial, military, and campus type applications, voice systems are effective because there is usually a very high concentration of sirens in a small area. For community warning, voice doesn’t make great sense and isn’t efficient. Cities are beginning to move away from voice, with Plano, TX being one of the most recent. I eliminated voice in my town’s system a couple of months ago.
-The Princess

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”