Jackson95

Any Rare Siren finds to know about In Missouri Oklahoma Or North Texas?

Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:04 pm

I will be traveling from Missouri down to Texas going through Oklahoma so I was wondering if their are any rare finds to stop and see along the way.
Has for Texas I will be only in the north part around the Dallas Ft.Worth Area.
Just your average 14 year old Siren kid from O'Fallon. Living in a town with a mix of sirens.

uncommonsense

Re: Any Rare Siren finds to know about In Missouri Oklahoma Or North Texas?

Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:23 am

It's been a couple years since I've made that trip but this is what I recall.

You're probably going down US 69/75 then. You're going to see a lot of Whelens and Sentries. If you're coming down the Indian Nation Turnpike (I don't know why you would go all the way to Tulsa to pick it up but stranger things have happened) you're probably not going to see much of anything.

Not rare (neat though), Savanna, Oklahoma used to and probably still has a fin back Vortex head on the ground behind their fire department, which runs up next to the highway. You can prepare where to look for that by looking at Google Maps imagry.

Atoka, OK has a 40V2T. Again not uncommon but not something you see everyday.

Totally unrelated to sirens, enjoy the drive. If you're going down 69, you'll drive over Lake Eufaula. That was my favorite part of the drive because it's utterly gorgeous and not many people know of it.

Gil
YouTube Username: gilramirez12

Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:02 pm

Not sure if it’s still there, but there is/was a Soundmaster 125 in Wilburton, OK.

siren fan

Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:16 am

Most everything that is old & rare has been replaced here in DFW. The city of Dallas still has some Thunderbolts standing but they've been disconnected for a long time.

WhammyP-50

Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:24 am

Jackson95 wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:04 pm
I will be traveling from Missouri down to Texas going through Oklahoma so I was wondering if their are any rare finds to stop and see along the way.
Has for Texas I will be only in the north part around the Dallas Ft.Worth Area.
As SirenFan said, most of the gems around DF/W are long gone. Take a look at the siren map https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... ent=safari
and see if you find anything that interests you!
"... Sometimes moving against the current is as easy as going with it... "

Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: DL1011

Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:09 am

The 40Vs were mentioned in Atoka. These are actually quite rare as they were the very first production models. They don’t have angle projector faces like the standard ones, rather just long ones with little flare. You can see one very easily from the main road thru town. Unfortunately many towns along that route have began upgrading to newer Whelen and Federal products, but I think Wagoner still has some old sirens abandoned in place. Dallas/Ft. Worth doesn’t have many CD-era units left, but there are still some interesting sirens to see in the smaller communities.
-The Princess

Jackson95

Any sirens in texas people need me to find?

Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:26 pm

I will be in Texas for a little over a week and wanted to know if their are any sirens that people need me to scout out. I will be making field visits around the Northern Texas area. I will not be able to do much in the larger Dallas-Fort Worth Metro area because of traffic and other reasons.
I have also been with a friend to the Ray Roberts Dam siren and the sirens in Sanger TX.
Just your average 14 year old Siren kid from O'Fallon. Living in a town with a mix of sirens.

Valra Bellkeys
YouTube Username: Valra Bellkeys
Discord: Valra Bellkeys#0164

Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:24 pm

uncommonsense wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:23 am

Atoka, OK has a 40V2T. Again not uncommon but not something you see everyday.
The 40V2Ts in Atoka are actually quite special! They are some of the few existing 40V2Ts with the flat ends of the horns. This is because they were made right when they began switching to the curved horns we know today.

Picture credit: Scott Gibson
atoka 40v2t.png
atoka 40v2t.png (157.44 KiB) Viewed 6016 times
I own: One complete SiraTone, another SiraTone control module, a 1600W MC, 2 old ATI controllers, 2 round ATI horns with drivers, a ATI-DSA 4 thing, a Federal Signal FC, AR timer and Siratrol, and a small CD&F.

SirenKid217
New User
YouTube Username: SirenKid217

Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:49 am

Yep, I know you've got the map, I can tell you about a few cool things in the north Texas area. You've got Krum, a little south of Sanger with their inactive Denver, and Celina with a few LAWS sirens. McKinney has some 4008s, which aren't too rare, but still cool nonetheless. If you're going to be in Denison, take a look at their Alertronics! They're some of the last of their kind in the state. Also, Okmulgee, OK has some notable CTI sirens, which are cool to see too.

Jackson95

Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:51 pm

SirenKid217 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:49 am
Yep, I know you've got the map, I can tell you about a few cool things in the north Texas area. You've got Krum, a little south of Sanger with their inactive Denver, and Celina with a few LAWS sirens. McKinney has some 4008s, which aren't too rare, but still cool nonetheless. If you're going to be in Denison, take a look at their Alertronics! They're some of the last of their kind in the state. Also, Okmulgee, OK has some notable CTI sirens, which are cool to see too.
I Actually did see the Krum Texas Denver siren, and happened to pass by one of the 40V2Ts. Okmulguee is most likely too far out of the way on the trip back. I might go to Denison or Celina to see their sirens.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”