WPS4004Man

Re: Franklin County, Ohio Siren Discussion

Tue May 19, 2020 10:13 pm

Not sure who owns the map, I think there's a way to find out in my maps when you press the ... thingy in the top left.

I wasn't talking about the 2006 one, I think they did wail around 2015. I didn't know much about sirens back then, but I knew they set them off in a different tone. My mom even commented on it, thinking it was some different siren system. It was during a tornado warning, and it came after a 3 minute alert tone.
Sentry rules, ATI's are for fools.

Living in Central Ohio, the Whelen capital of the country.

Tuba

Tue May 19, 2020 10:49 pm

Ah I don’t know anything about that time. Sorry
Whelen gang

WPS4004Man

Wed May 20, 2020 3:12 am

I found this: https://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/f ... ical-zones

I think people were curious and this was the best explanation the news channel had, but it just reiterates the concept of zones. There's no mention of the county-wide growl. Again, I might email the county tomorrow about this.

WPS4004Man

Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:19 am

This is a bit of an odd bump, but I have a question about a suspected Thunderbolt location. This would be at Winterset elementary school in Northwestern Columbus. My mom grew up in that area and seems to think that the school had a siren, which would have been replaced by the Centennial High School 4004 in the early 2000s. I’m unable to see anything on historical imagery, but there is a pole sitting near the entrance that seems suspicious, having ladder things similar to what you would see in LA, and has nothing on it. At this point I’m stumped, so I was wondering if someone else knows about this.

Josh R
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: SWOhioSirens

Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:09 am

WPS4004Man wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:19 am
This is a bit of an odd bump, but I have a question about a suspected Thunderbolt location. This would be at Winterset elementary school in Northwestern Columbus. My mom grew up in that area and seems to think that the school had a siren, which would have been replaced by the Centennial High School 4004 in the early 2000s. I’m unable to see anything on historical imagery, but there is a pole sitting near the entrance that seems suspicious, having ladder things similar to what you would see in LA, and has nothing on it. At this point I’m stumped, so I was wondering if someone else knows about this.
You may be right about that abandoned pole being a former Thunderbolt. The pole looks very similar to the pole of the old Eureka and Sullivant Thunderbolt that was removed many years ago, as well as the old Thunderbolt location in Grandview Heights. I'm sure there are other former 'Bolt locations with the same style pole as well.
Josh Reed
Moderator of The Siren Board
23, Ohio

Owner of a Federal Thunderbolt 1000BT, an AR Timer, and a gray 12 volt siren.

My YouTube Channel

WPS4004Man

Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:45 pm

Well I’ve debunked my growl myth. There’s a tornado warning near grove city and I’m not hearing anything. I’m kinda annoyed nobody got a good recording of the growls, though I know there was one which had them quietly.

Fletch

Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:34 am

Sifed1 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:09 am
You may be right about that abandoned pole being a former Thunderbolt. The pole looks very similar to the pole of the old Eureka and Sullivant Thunderbolt that was removed many years ago, as well as the old Thunderbolt location in Grandview Heights. I'm sure there are other former 'Bolt locations with the same style pole as well.
The pole at Winterset looks identical to the others. That's awesome. I've been curious about the former T-Bolt locations.

If anyone wants to collaborate on a Franklin County T-Bolt map, I can offer what I know. I have about two dozen locations.

WPS4004Man

Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:25 am

Does anyone know of some roof mounted locations? Those seem typical for Thunderbolt systems, but I don’t know of any off the top of my head.

Did anyone hear the sirens for the warning today? I couldn’t hear them from my house but I could hear Southwest quadrant sirens in the last warning. Also, my suspicion about the growls is that they pressed the wrong button and for some reason it repeated. But maybe it has something to do with the way the storm is moving (growl in the area it’s moving).

Who else hates autocorrect sometimes?

Fletch

Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:31 am

Roof mounted locations I'm aware of:
Fire Station 19 on High Street had a roof mounted T-Bolt
Neil House Hotel across from the state house
Grain elevator on the West Side/Sullivant Ave.

JonTishBass
YouTube Username: JW Tish

Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:01 am

This is an important message regarding the Thunderbolt 1000T located at Kirwan Institute For the Study of Race... As of the tornado warning issued on 6/10/2020, there has been a report from a fellow siren enthusiast (EASsirenVids 01) that the siren head has rotated <15%. The blower (which looked to have almost fallen completely off the mount) has also been reinforced some time recently. We do not have any information as to if the siren is active/inactive or if they are just keeping in good condition. Anyone who knows anything about why this Thunderbolt has rotated, as well as the blower being reinforced, please let us know! Thanks.
Jon Tish
Train & Siren Enthusiast From Groveport, OH
Whelen Siren Enthusiast
Columbus Area Railfan

Return to “Community Systems”