WPS4004Man

Re: Franklin County, Ohio Siren Discussion

Tue May 19, 2020 3:42 am

So can you confirm if Dublin's sirens went off? I can sometimes hear them at my house, about 3-4 miles away, but it really depends on conditions, and I'm not sure if I heard them. I think maybe more information will be in the news soon as other people must have been confused, some might've thought they were testing them at first. Yes, I think we could see another activation this year, it seems to happen at least 2 times a year normally.
Sentry rules, ATI's are for fools.

Living in Central Ohio, the Whelen capital of the country.

Tuba

Tue May 19, 2020 4:25 am

You bet I can confirm Dublin’s sirens went off. Two full wail cycles ten minutes apart. I have the full recording of them and them going off last year during the Memorial Day Warning. I must admit, the wail is a welcome change to our usual noon blast for our tests😃

Also, in regard to siren 1 failing to pickup tones, I recorded a 5-minute gap between growls before Dublin activated. The second time I heard the Franklin Weekend boot up, I heard wind downs and a 560 Hz alert shortly after, and all I’m hearing are NW Whelens. So I can backup what you heard with the growls.

Lastly, I’m not sure if you know yet, but a confirmed tornado touched down in Madison County, which has a system of whelens itself. I do not believe much else is known about this system, besides the fact they have a non-functioning thunderbolt in West Jefferson
Whelen gang

WPS4004Man

Tue May 19, 2020 5:10 am

Can’t wait to see the video! That siren has failed to pickup tones in the past during testing. Which is weird since the controller was recently upgraded to 560hz. Yeah I was estimating when I said every 10 minutes. There’s a video on YouTube of the tornado if you search for the warning.

Lol, I actually have crappy pictures of that Thunderbolt, along with the Fedelcode next to it. Is the Fedelcode active, or is it only the Vortexes?

Tuba

Tue May 19, 2020 2:21 pm

There’s another (somewhat) active topic regarding thunderbolts in Columbus and Im pretty sure they said that the fedelcode (which they referred to as the “other siren”) was inactive.
Whelen gang

WPS4004Man

Tue May 19, 2020 2:26 pm

That’s too bad, but looking at the placement of the Vortexes, I’m not surprised. Also it appears the 2 2809s in London have been replaced with 2909s

Tuba

Tue May 19, 2020 3:50 pm

Interesting. I had presumed the 4 sirens in London had always been 2909’s as they are somewhat recent.

Anyways, here it is. After looking through this video, I’m not sure Franklin County knew what they were doing. Take a look for yourself and try to get a pattern out of this. Dublin was solid as usual, but sheesh, the amount of straining I had to do for wind ups and downs was crazy.
https://youtu.be/YvwWc7meMP8

I have time stamps in the description, please comment anything I missed.
Whelen gang

WPS4004Man

Tue May 19, 2020 5:15 pm

Great video! I have an old version of the Ohio map, and the 2 sirens on the west portion of the town were marked as 2809s. Could be a mistake, could have been a replacement.

I have a suspicion that Franklin County was activating them remotely due to the virus. Or maybe the normal person wasn't available. I hope we get to hear them again this year so I can get a proper recording!

Also, has anyone had any luck emailing them? I'm reluctant to as it's not urgent, but I would be curious what they have to say.

Tuba

Tue May 19, 2020 6:15 pm

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 020193&z=8

This is the map that I use and am an editor on (credit to Sirens of NE Ohio as creator). If I remember correctly, it was simply an error and that they were 2909’s from the beginning.

I would have to agree, I do not believe this “new” procedure was on purpose. Kinda similar to how there’s a video out there of Franklin County sirens sounding in wail for a warning due to a mixup at the HQ
Whelen gang

WPS4004Man

Tue May 19, 2020 6:24 pm

The map I was referring to is the statewide one with pin icons. Here's a link:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... 000001&z=8

That one previously said the 2 on the west were 2809's, but that was changed recently.

Regarding what you said about Franklin County's activations, it seems like it would be hard to mess up that bad. What I meant was that someone different was probably activating them and wanted to either try it out or was told to do it. Also, do you know where the video of Franklin County doing Wail is? I think I remember hearing Wail like 5 years ago.

Tuba

Tue May 19, 2020 7:38 pm

https://youtu.be/wlVBsgQUH8M

Here it is. I don’t know, I guess I won’t speculate anymore than this until the EMA says anything or another warning comes around. It just seemed to lack structure behind it, and as you mentioned, nothing is normal with the pandemic, even the sirens😂😂

In regards to that map, do you know who owns it? There’s a few minor mistakes that have been there for awhile.
Whelen gang

Return to “Community Systems”