Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Back in the saddle. New (to me) Thunderbolt

Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:15 pm

Exactly a week ago today, I acquired my first new siren in three years. This new siren is a Thunderbolt 1000, well at least the head. The siren is a 1983 1000B, formerly in service at a Duke Power nuclear station in South Carolina (I believe Catawba). This siren did come from the Great Falls lot by way of Jancse & Co. Siren Emporium (joke of course). I originally got the chopper for this unit in February of 2018 and promptly retrofitted it into a Model 2, however upon collecting what was left of the siren, I reunited the chopper with the rest of the head. The blower for my unit (C series 'bolts were numbered to match on the head and blower as far as I know) is with the previous owner and is actually in service with his Thunderbolt, which although privately owned, is an active storm siren for Spartanburg County, SC. Both motors do work (I have tested them), however the chopper is in need of a rebuild in the future, as it is not the healthiest sounding ever. I do have a video if it running when it was still configured into a Model 2, which I will link here. I will take more photos and videos of the unit at a later date, however for now here is a google photos album of pictures specifically for this exact siren, as attachments are still genuinely broken. I plan to only mechanically refurbish this unit as I do not wish to repaint it. I did neutralize the rust and put on a coat to protect the parts from rusting further.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LTMX6yL4FEyvGqQA7

Here is the chopper running when it was in Model 2 configuration. The camera was approximately half a mile north of the siren. Siren begins at 0:08. In the video it was running off of 240 through a step up transformer. Functional, but in dire need of TLC too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbafviSaL2c
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”