The Siren Board

Discussion of Outdoor Warning Systems
It is currently Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:42 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 »
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:54 am 
Offline
Registered User
Registered User
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:46 am
Posts: 223
Real Name: Aaron Allevato
YouTube Username: Duderocks5539
Discord: Duderocks5539
Location: Yorba Linda ,CA
I got an email from the director of emergency planning at SONGS since I know her very well. And she told me that it seems that the jurisdictions want to keep the sirens for like tsunamis and other natural disasters. But she did tell me that a state park that has 3 sirens doesn't want them since they aren't in a populated enough area. But other then that ,the ones in San Juan Capistrano ,Dana Point ,San Clemente and the 10 on Camp Pendleton will remain in place after June 30th 2019 ,which is the date that SONGS will no longer maintain the system ,meaning the cities will half to maintain them now. The sirens have always have been activated by the cities but maintained by SONGS ,but now they will be maintained and tested by the cities. And since they will not be nuclear sirens anymore ,we wont see them tested annually most likely when the cities take over completely. The sirens haven't been fully blasted since October 15th 2014 since the SONGS decommissioning has been approved leading to the sirens no longer needing to be tested at full blast. So starting in 2015 the sirens have only been booped/growled ,which is sounding it at full volume for half a second. But since they will still remain and be used as tsunami sirens now ,we will most likely see full blasts again. When they were nuclear sirens ,they did 3 ,3 minute alert blasts at 10:00 AM ,11:00 AM and 12:00 PM Annually in October until 2014. Now they will probably be tested monthly but probably for only a 1 ,1 or maybe 3 minute alert. They might do attack since Huntington's T-128s and 2001-SRNs do ,and they might want to do a similar test. But either way ,its good to see that most of the Whelens ,-3 will still be in place. As soon as I get more information from the director of emergency planning like what the jurisdictions plan on doing like with testing and signals ,I will let you guys now. But for now ,this is all the info I can tell you.

_________________
Proud owner of a Federal Sign & Signal Model L-120 ,Darley Model 2-120 and a Model 120 from the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant.
Model 120 wiki: https://wiki.airraidsirens.net/Model_120


Last edited by Duderocks5539 on Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:11 am 
Offline
Registered User
Registered User

Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:30 am
Posts: 57
Real Name: Ryan
Thats awesome about the Whelens. Do you know whats gonna happen with the TBolts?


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:07 pm 
Offline
Registered User
Registered User
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:46 am
Posts: 223
Real Name: Aaron Allevato
YouTube Username: Duderocks5539
Discord: Duderocks5539
Location: Yorba Linda ,CA
insertusernamehere94 wrote: *
Thats awesome about the Whelens. Do you know whats gonna happen with the TBolts?
They will probably be removed when the plant is dismantled is about 5 years. The Tbolts arent tied in with the system of Whelens though ,they are on their own system and I believe they are both activated through a AF timer. They are the main evacuation sirens for workers at SONGS ,they are still tested when they do evacuation drills which I believe is every 4 or 5 months.

_________________
Proud owner of a Federal Sign & Signal Model L-120 ,Darley Model 2-120 and a Model 120 from the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant.
Model 120 wiki: https://wiki.airraidsirens.net/Model_120


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:49 pm 
Offline
Registered User
Registered User

Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:30 am
Posts: 57
Real Name: Ryan
Duderocks5539 wrote: *
insertusernamehere94 wrote: *
Thats awesome about the Whelens. Do you know whats gonna happen with the TBolts?
They will probably be removed when the plant is dismantled is about 5 years. The Tbolts arent tied in with the system of Whelens though ,they are on their own system and I believe they are both activated through a AF timer. They are the main evacuation sirens for workers at SONGS ,they are still tested when they do evacuation drills which I believe is every 4 or 5 months.

Oh wow I need to go see that! Is there any footage of them?
I might try and get one of the TBolts when theyre taken down.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:50 pm 
Offline
Registered User
Registered User
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:46 am
Posts: 223
Real Name: Aaron Allevato
YouTube Username: Duderocks5539
Discord: Duderocks5539
Location: Yorba Linda ,CA
The director of emergency planning told me she’ll let me know when they are tested again, I believe she told me they might be able to sound them off for a special test for me. And regarding video there isn’t any. But she told me when they are tested ,they do a 1 minute alert. I believe they used to do hi lo though.

_________________
Proud owner of a Federal Sign & Signal Model L-120 ,Darley Model 2-120 and a Model 120 from the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant.
Model 120 wiki: https://wiki.airraidsirens.net/Model_120


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:06 am 
Offline
Registered User
Registered User

Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:43 pm
Posts: 425
Real Name: Jacob
YouTube Username: Jacobmaster121
Location: Marshfield Missouri
I am sad to see those thunderbolts and whelens go, but I am kind of releaved because if the San Andreas goes that plant goes with it and we have another fukashima.

_________________
Im back and 13 this time. :)


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:48 am 
Offline
Registered User
Registered User

Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 3:14 am
Posts: 1465
Real Name: Trey
YouTube Username: SD10s4ever
Location: Slaton/Post, TX
jacob585 wrote: *
I am sad to see those thunderbolts and whelens go, but I am kind of releaved because if the San Andreas goes that plant goes with it and we have another fukashima.
How do you figure that will equal Fukushima? The plant is in decommissioning stages. Fukushima was a fully functioning power plant and was online up until the earthquake.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:15 am 
Offline
Registered User
Registered User

Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:43 pm
Posts: 425
Real Name: Jacob
YouTube Username: Jacobmaster121
Location: Marshfield Missouri
Trey wrote: *
jacob585 wrote: *
I am sad to see those thunderbolts and whelens go, but I am kind of releaved because if the San Andreas goes that plant goes with it and we have another fukashima.
How do you figure that will equal Fukushima? The plant is in decommissioning stages. Fukushima was a fully functioning power plant and was online up until the earthquake.
I meant if it was still fully active it could cause another fukushima or something close to that if it was fully active and the "big one" happened

_________________
Im back and 13 this time. :)


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:02 am 
Offline
Registered User
Registered User
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:52 pm
Posts: 902
Real Name: Alfie Woolard
YouTube Username: Alfie Woolard
Discord: Alfie
Location: South East England, UK
jacob585 wrote: *
Trey wrote: *
jacob585 wrote: *
I am sad to see those thunderbolts and whelens go, but I am kind of releaved because if the San Andreas goes that plant goes with it and we have another fukashima.
How do you figure that will equal Fukushima? The plant is in decommissioning stages. Fukushima was a fully functioning power plant and was online up until the earthquake.
I meant if it was still fully active it could cause another fukushima or something close to that if it was fully active and the "big one" happened
Big what and how? And besides, Fukushima didn't suffer any major leakage. It was the best that could happen in that situation. With what you're saying you might as well close all power plants in coastal areas "in case the big one happens", but since Japan still operates nuclear plants on the coast, where they have more risk, I think it would be pretty safe to say that not much will happen on the US coast.

_________________
Alfie Woolard
Federal Signal MC know-it-all.
Installed, initiated and maintains school campus warning system.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtGVVz ... 8BQ47VmdHg


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:04 pm 
Offline
Registered User
Registered User
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:46 am
Posts: 223
Real Name: Aaron Allevato
YouTube Username: Duderocks5539
Discord: Duderocks5539
Location: Yorba Linda ,CA
jacob585 wrote: *
I am sad to see those thunderbolts and whelens go, but I am kind of releaved because if the San Andreas goes that plant goes with it and we have another fukashima.
Only 3 are being removed ,the remaning 49 are staying.

_________________
Proud owner of a Federal Sign & Signal Model L-120 ,Darley Model 2-120 and a Model 120 from the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant.
Model 120 wiki: https://wiki.airraidsirens.net/Model_120


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 »

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: 

cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited