murrfarms
YouTube Username: murrfarms

ACA Howler in Macon, GA

Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:09 am

A few weeks ago, while virtual siren hunting in Macon, GA, I found a big yellow siren right beside an old abandoned school. Jeb and I went up there today to check it out, and once it was in sight, we thought it was a Penetrator, but it wound up being a Howler! Looks like the tornado took its toll on the siren though, because it sucked the intake cone off of all but one bolt, and caused the screen to come loose. Below are the pictures we took of it:

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

I also brought home a souvenir from the siren, the old fiberglass ground plane antenna. It was just laying on the ground a long way away from the siren, and they now have a new antenna on the top of the ARCH box, which is really weird to have on an ACA siren. I'll take pictures of the antenna tomorrow.

*EDIT: See this thread for more updated pictures of the Howler after the monthly test.
Last edited by murrfarms on Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Ian M.

Matt
Administrator
Administrator

Re: ACA Howler in Macon, GA

Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:18 am

mr_thunderbolt1003 wrote:A few weeks ago, while virtual siren hunting in Macon, GA, I found a big yellow siren right beside an old abandoned school. Jeb and I went up there today to check it out, and once it was in sight, we thought it was a Penetrator, but it wound up being a Howler! Looks like the tornado took its toll on the siren though, because it sucked the intake cone off of all but one bolt, and caused the screen to come loose. Below are the pictures we took of it:

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

I also brought home a souvenir from the siren, the old fiberglass ground plane antenna. It was just laying on the ground a long way away from the siren, and they now have a new antenna on the top of the ARCH box, which is really weird to have on an ACA siren. I'll take pictures of the antenna tomorrow.
doubleyou oh doubleyou. WOW amazing find!
videogamer
Matt Ullman

Charlie Davidson
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: soccerdude7330Official

Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:54 am

Wow, sweet find, Ian!
Charlie Davidson

Storm Chasing? Storm Chasing.
Proud owner of a fully operational Thunderbolt 1000T warning siren. Test your speakers.

The YouTube Channel is alive again.

Looking for a manual? I probably have it here: SirenManuals.com

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:05 am

Here are the pics I took of it. It's mounted so low that the top floors of the apartment buildings about 300 feet away are level with the siren.

ImageImageImageImage

murrfarms

Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:08 am

holler wrote:Here are the pics I took of it. It's mounted so low that the top floors of the apartment buildings about 300 feet away are level with the siren.

[insert pics here]
Nice shots Jeb, came out really good. I wish it was pointing away from the school so we could've gotten better shots of the chopper and the intake cone.
-Ian M.

kswx29

Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:30 am

Do you plan on recording the siren? The power switch is up and it has a new antenna, so one would assume it is still used.
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

murrfarms

Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:33 am

2t22boy wrote:Do you plan on recording the siren? The power switch is up and it has a new antenna, so one would assume it is still used.
Yep, come next Wednesday, we'll be back to record it. It definitely still works because it's moved since I last saw it. Trust me, after what happened in Macon on Mother's Day, they make sure that all their sirens are in tip-top shape. (apparently the cone almost falling out slipped by them :roll:)
-Ian M.

RamFett

Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:31 am

AWESOME! :D

I can't wait to hear what it sounds like. I hope that cone gets re-attached before it gets chewed up by the rotor during an activation. It can't be helping the sound output, either.

murrfarms

Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:40 am

RamFett wrote:I hope that cone gets re-attached before it gets chewed up by the rotor during an activation. It can't be helping the sound output, either.
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of too. Hopefully, with the way it's sitting in the horn, it won't get near a port opening on the stator and cause any trouble. To be honest, I wish it would just fall out to prevent any future issues, and that way the city/county would come out and reattach it. How good is that for the siren to be without that intake cone anyway? Will it risk overloading the motor in it?
-Ian M.

jerrylovessirens

Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:47 pm

Thatll be awesome when you guys record it. So, were all Howlers dual tone??

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”