Blasty

Re: Over 15 years a member and I finally snap a siren photo!

Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:21 pm

Hannah - Thanks for the welcome back! I don't know about "heard it all" because I still have yet to actually hear a big siren in person. I *thought* I heard one of these, but then realized that some of the emergency vehicle sirens here, combined with the echoes of the city, have enough authority to sound like a bigger siren.

Chicagosiren-hunters - I am staying in downtown Nagoya and taking daily (work day) trips out to Yokkaichi. I was nervous about traveling overseas for the first time, but now I have mixed feelings about leaving!

No luck on the good train seat today to spot that possible WWII siren, but I anticipated having half a day off today to walk around Yokkaichi and grab some pictures. As fate would have it, we got called in on short notice for the rest of the afternoon. Whatever, it was a work day anyway! I'll hop a very early train again tomorrow (my last day before I depart) in hopes of having enough time to once again try to walk to where I can get a view of the fire station setup.

For your viewing pleasure, I took the time to find the same siren setup I saw from the bus on Google Street View. What a wonderful mix of both kinds of PA horns on one pole, and a mechanical siren on the other. Not one pole like I previously stated... I was blinded by the overload of cool stuff all in one place the first time I saw it. A nice sampler platter if you will :). Link and picture below.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.9830317 ... 312!8i6656

I love the long exponential horns. Those kinds of PA speakers are just about gone in the US, having been obsolete long ago. Kudos to Japan for keeping this neat design alive! I just noticed if you look at the first picture of the 6-horn siren that I actually took from the moving train, you can see a third pole behind it. There is a clamp on the pole, to which is attached another one of the long PA horns (you can see the driver and part of the horn throat). I hardly noticed as the train flew by this siren and I scrambled to snap the picture.
yokkaichi_tsunami_sirens.png
yokkaichi_tsunami_sirens.png (306.86 KiB) Viewed 1210 times
Beware those who teach not how to think, but what to think.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”