fire_freak_57
YouTube Username: sirenfreak57
Discord: firefreak57#0781

Re: Lowest mounted Siren in US

Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:32 am

Here’s a extremely low mounted Thunderbolt 1000T (inactive since 2002) on Ormsby Drive in Xenia (Greene County), OH.

The 2001-SRNB which replaced it is shown for a size comparison. The Thunderbolt is mounted about 15 feet off the ground. Low enough to get high quality pictures just using my iPhone.

EDIT: for whatever reason my images won’t post when I upload them...??? Never used to be like this before.

EDIT 2: Good Grief. This file attachment thing won’t let me upload files over 1 MB anymore.

That being said, I had to link the photo instead. This is ridiculous...I can understand it from a space saving perspective but it’s still a pain.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KV-aSd ... p=drivesdk

If for whatever reason you can’t view the photo, I really don’t know what to say anymore...lol.

This photo is Copyright 2019 by myself, and unauthorized distribution or reproduction of this photo without my knowledge will not be tolerated.
sirenfreak57
Owner of a Allertor 125 Control Cabinet, EOWS Driver, and other odds and ends.
My YouTube Channel | Summit County Siren Map | Cuyahoga County Siren Map

model2sk

Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:55 pm

WindowsWhistler2419 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:29 pm
Bump: here's a low mounted model 5 in Lebanon IN

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0292095 ... 6656?hl=en
Wow that thing looks HUGE!

model2sk

Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:35 pm

Austen_lyon123 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:39 pm
Thought This 2T22 Was Pretty Low
Actually, I don’t know how high it is in person, but that looks like a normal height to me.

dispatcherman

Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:11 am

That Allertor in Tipton, KS. does not appear to have a rotator. My vision may be questionable however...LOL!!
Dale(dispatcherman)...

Josh R
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: SWOhioSirens

Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:03 am

fire_freak_57 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:32 am
Here’s a extremely low mounted Thunderbolt 1000T (inactive since 2002) on Ormsby Drive in Xenia (Greene County), OH.

The 2001-SRNB which replaced it is shown for a size comparison. The Thunderbolt is mounted about 15 feet off the ground. Low enough to get high quality pictures just using my iPhone.

EDIT: for whatever reason my images won’t post when I upload them...??? Never used to be like this before.

EDIT 2: Good Grief. This file attachment thing won’t let me upload files over 1 MB anymore.

That being said, I had to link the photo instead. This is ridiculous...I can understand it from a space saving perspective but it’s still a pain.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KV-aSd ... p=drivesdk

If for whatever reason you can’t view the photo, I really don’t know what to say anymore...lol.

This photo is Copyright 2019 by myself, and unauthorized distribution or reproduction of this photo without my knowledge will not be tolerated.
I've seen those Xenia 'Bolts in person before (I live like 30 minutes from there) and they are rather low mounted. I don't believe they've been active since around 2000. Most of them have been removed but 4 or 5 still remain. They're in really rough shape.
Josh Reed
Moderator of The Siren Board
23, Ohio

Owner of a Federal Thunderbolt 1000BT, an AR Timer, and a gray 12 volt siren.

My YouTube Channel

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:30 pm

Sifed1 wrote:
I've seen those Xenia 'Bolts in person before (I live like 30 minutes from there) and they are rather low mounted. I don't believe they've been active since around 2000. Most of them have been removed but 4 or 5 still remain. They're in really rough shape.
The 2001-SRNB was introduced around 2002-03, so that’s most likely around the time the Thunderbolts were decommissioned.
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

fire_freak_57
YouTube Username: sirenfreak57
Discord: firefreak57#0781

Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:43 pm

carexpertandy wrote:
Sifed1 wrote:
The 2001-SRNB was introduced around 2002-03, so that’s most likely around the time the Thunderbolts were decommissioned.
My new house is like 10 minutes east of Xenia. I will be living in Greene County after July 18, we’re on the Greene/Montgomery County border around the Bellbrook/Centerville area.

According to a document from the Xenia Fire Division, as well as information from Federal Field Services (who installed them) they installed these SRNB’s in late 2002. Xenia got a FEMA “Project Impact” grant to install the new system, comprised of 12 sirens in Xenia and Xenia Township.

As I mentioned in another topic, the first/early production 2001-SRNB’s went to Richland County, OH (Mansfield area) around early 2002. They used the older cabinets the last generation of the 2001-SRN utilized, as that’s all Federal had when they made the switch to SRNB’s mid order (Richland County had originally ordered 38 SRN’s, they only got about 5 SRN’s before the early production SRNB’s were installed).
sirenfreak57
Owner of a Allertor 125 Control Cabinet, EOWS Driver, and other odds and ends.
My YouTube Channel | Summit County Siren Map | Cuyahoga County Siren Map

Josh R
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: SWOhioSirens

Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:22 am

carexpertandy wrote:
Sifed1 wrote:
You're probably right actually. I just remember seeing a photo on Federal Field Service's site from 1999 that featured
a couple of their Thunderbolts and I assumed that may have been the time they were decommissioned. Now that I think about it, they were supposedly active when the 2000 tornado plowed through Xenia and they failed to sound due to power outage. They probably decommissioned/replaced them 2002-2003.

The images below can be found at http://federalfieldservices.com/gallery.php

This one is on the old Xenia Community Schools building at East Market Street and Evans Street:

This one used to be located at Wilberforce University outside of Xenia:
Josh Reed
Moderator of The Siren Board
23, Ohio

Owner of a Federal Thunderbolt 1000BT, an AR Timer, and a gray 12 volt siren.

My YouTube Channel

archizackture
YouTube Username: Shako_Lamb

Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:52 pm

Nearly ground-mounted Model 5/7 in Mineville, NY.
https://goo.gl/maps/2URL79vewfAk63ZAA
Architecture preservationist. I enjoy obscure history and mapping things, and grew up around sirens. Not planning to own one.
West Virginia State-wide & Western Maryland Siren Map

archizackture
YouTube Username: Shako_Lamb

Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:20 pm

Relatively low Sentry 10V in Roscoe, NY.
https://goo.gl/maps/o4ae7Jj9U16y7LbJ7
Architecture preservationist. I enjoy obscure history and mapping things, and grew up around sirens. Not planning to own one.
West Virginia State-wide & Western Maryland Siren Map

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”