NorCal

YouTube Username: Norcal Siren Media
Discord: WarningSirensOfNorCal#7822

STH-10A 3 phase

Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:32 am

Hello there! I recently bought an STH-10 off of govdeals on the 17 of January. I got it to my home and I am trying to run it. I bought a 15-20 HP 3 phase shifter and I need to know if it would work. I tried with a 10-7.5 3 phase shifter but it didn’t work because the breaker kept tripping. Any possible ideas?

NorCal

Re: STH-10A 3 phase

Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:53 am

OHIO Desperado

Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:52 am

Were you using a rotary phase converter or a static converter? Static is just a box, the rotary has a motor with it.

You are NOT going to be able to start a siren with a static converter due to the parasitic load on the motor. The chopper is just too heavy. You will need a rotary converter to do this.

Also, what size breaker are we talking about. If you are trying to start this on a 20 amp breaker you are not gonna have any luck. 50 amp is about the minimum you will need feeding it. And DON"T just swap the breaker from a 20 to a 50. The wiring will not be heavy enough and will cause other problems.

Look at the motor plate and figure out what the rated horse power is. Then find a rotary phase converter that is 50% bigger than the motor rating. That's gonna be a minimum for it to work.

NorCal

Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:19 pm

I was using static. I cancelled the order for the 15-20HP static converter. I recently found a 40HP rotary converter for $850 that I may buy but that’s on hold because, I know a guy who owns a model 5 that has a Giant 3 phase Cold War military generator that may work to run the siren

NorCal

Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:22 pm

kb8vul wrote:
Were you using a rotary phase converter or a static converter? Static is just a box, the rotary has a motor with it.

You are NOT going to be able to start a siren with a static converter due to the parasitic load on the motor. The chopper is just too heavy. You will need a rotary converter to do this.

Also, what size breaker are we talking about. If you are trying to start this on a 20 amp breaker you are not gonna have any luck. 50 amp is about the minimum you will need feeding it. And DON"T just swap the breaker from a 20 to a 50. The wiring will not be heavy enough and will cause other problems.

Look at the motor plate and figure out what the rated horse power is. Then find a rotary phase converter that is 50% bigger than the motor rating. That's gonna be a minimum for it to work.
About this, I did get the siren running with static but it would go to a certain RPM and the breaker would trip. The converter did get passed the chopper stuff though.

Synther
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: UtahSirens

Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:34 pm

I suggest you hire an electrician instead of throwing more money at something you aren't qualified to mess with. This is how you burn your house down.
State of Utah siren map - My channel
STH-10, SD-10, 2 Model 2s

NorCal

Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:26 am

Synther wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:34 pm
I suggest you hire an electrician instead of throwing more money at something you aren't qualified to mess with. This is how you burn your house down.
I’ve heard that lol. The guy with the generator I was talking about, he knows a few here and there about the wiring and stuff. I’ll get him to help me out with it.

OHIO Desperado

Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:32 am

NorCal wrote:
kb8vul wrote:

About this, I did get the siren running with static but it would go to a certain RPM and the breaker would trip. The converter did get passed the chopper stuff though.
If it didn't hit full RPM it never fully started.
I have been building rotary phase converters for about 20 years now. Mostly for running heavy metal working equipment and 3 phase welders.

The 3 phase generator is a good option to try. If it's over 20Kw it should have no issues running that siren.
Just make sure you use the correct wire gauge, fusing and a disconnect to control the siren.

NorCal

Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:06 am

kb8vul wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:32 am
NorCal wrote:
kb8vul wrote:

If it didn't hit full RPM it never fully started.
I have been building rotary phase converters for about 20 years now. Mostly for running heavy metal working equipment and 3 phase welders.

The 3 phase generator is a good option to try. If it's over 20Kw it should have no issues running that siren.
Just make sure you use the correct wire gauge, fusing and a disconnect to control the siren.
Thanks for the reply. Im not sure about the generator but all I know is, it ran his model 5 flawlessly so it may be able to run the Siren. I don’t know much about power but it’s my honest opinion about the generator.

OHIO Desperado

Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:28 pm

Well, here's how to figure it out.
If you have an electric motor that is rated at 10 hp and you have a generator that has an engine that is rated at 40 hp then you will not have a problem.
If you have a siren motor that is rated at 10 hp and a generator that has a motor that's rated at 7 hp it will NOT work. All the KW rating and such aside, you have to have MORE HP in the generator than the motor you are trying to power up.

A model 5 vs an STH-10. The 10 is going to require double the power of the model 5. Look at the HP ratings on both and that's pretty easy to figure out.

I am gonna say something here that few will like, but I really don't care.
If you are going to be in this hobby, YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND ELECTRICITY to do so safely. At least if you are going to be messing with mechanical sirens. Most of this stuff is three phase. Most of this stuff is reasonably high horsepower which means it requires a lot of power to run.
That power needs to be run from an electrical panel to the siren control or phase converter with the correct electrical wire and fused correctly. And while trying to run certain single phase sirens on 110 will NOT burn down your house (discussion elsewhere on this forum) wiring up a 10 hp 3 phase motor through a 20 HP rotary phase converter with the WRONG wire and or breaker WILL certainly cause a house fire.

You REALLY do need to understand how to do this stuff right, or DON"T DO IT AT ALL. And doing electric wrong will not just burn down your house, it can kill you via electric shock. And screwing with 110/240 single phase or 3 phase will only shock you to death, you start screwing with 440 and it will not only shock you to death it can burn your arm off your body in the process. So DON"T get into a situation that some family member is gonna gonna come find you after some big bang with your body laying there charred and dead with your arm or leg burned off your body.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”