Duderocks5539
YouTube Username: Duderocks5539
Discord: Duderocks5539

A few Curry County, Oregon ex SONGS STL-10s found

Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:04 am

I've known for a few years now that a handful of STL-10s from original SONGS system were sold to Curry County, Oregon in 2006 after SONGS replaced them and the Model 120s with the Whelen 2810s and 2806s in December 2005 - January/February 2006, but we never knew any locations of them until now. I found a Tsunami evacuation map for Curry County, and it showed some siren locations, and I was able to find 3 STL-10s that were apart of the original SONGS system. I'm sure there is more then just 3, but I haven't found any other STLs since I only found two evacuation maps. Another thing I found is a YouTube video talking about the sirens, and at one point shows inside of ones cabinet and the control arrangement, and cabinet is a dead give away that these were SONGS sirens, just a side note, the Model 120s had the same controls and cabinet enclosure as the STL-10s.

Here's a Youtube video talking about the system, unfortunately, the system was deactivated in August of 2019 because the county wanted to go with phone alerts, and making the bs excuses about the maintenance like lots of other cities pull. Cabinet is shown at 0:52, and it seems they received new FC radios when installed, and some other box removed in the top right corner of the cabniet, I know this because I have the blueprints even for the cabinets, and controls inside for both the 120 and STL's, and the radios were replaced at some point. Anyways, here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri7pd9fh0Fg

And here is street views of 3 different locations. Using Bing maps since google maps doesn't go down the streets there on.

https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=51df3652 ... orm=S00027

https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=feb5aa41 ... orm=S00027

https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=0d5c0b4c ... orm=S00027
Don't know where the cabinet is on this one.
Proud owner of a Federal Sign & Signal Thunderbolt 1000A, Federal Sign & Signal Model L, Darley Model 2-120 and a Model 120 from the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant.
Model 120 wiki: https://wiki.airraidsirens.net/Model_120

Non-Zero
YouTube Username: GSPiedmont425
Discord: pizzaluke#9012

Re: A few Curry County, Oregon ex SONGS STL-10s found

Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:04 pm

very cool! wonder if there are any 120s
proud owner of a thunderbolt 1000A, and a 4/5 Thunderbolt 1000T

CD_Siren
Discord: cdsiren

Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:51 pm

Non-Zero wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:04 pm
very cool! wonder if there are any 120s
So far there are no known locations of a Model 120 siren installed as of today.
I still post here, but not as much as I used to. :roll:
Casual enthusiast who lives in the natural state of Arkansas.
Hoping to get a siren someday...
Not the brightest mind, but getting there.

Duderocks5539

Sat May 16, 2020 8:22 pm

Found two more locations

https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=cc726765 ... orm=S00027

https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=a26ed955 ... orm=S00027
This location also appears to have another STL on the ground. Idk if that one came from SONGS as well, or if it was originally on the pole and the SONGS STL replaced it.
Proud owner of a Federal Sign & Signal Thunderbolt 1000A, Federal Sign & Signal Model L, Darley Model 2-120 and a Model 120 from the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant.

Model L
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: Egress
Discord: Egress.

Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:40 am

I was down in brookings today and decided to take a look at the STL 10 in pistol river. turns out, it is indeed an Ex-SONGS siren, siren #CP-09 to be exact. the second STL-10 head is no longer there, it may have been moved inside the building or used to replace a different siren. the siren head at harris beach (the one mounted on the bathroom) was removed probably 2 or 3 years ago at this point, you can still see where the pole was and where the wires to the siren entered the building. additionally, the siren in pistol river is missing one of its horns entirely, likely due to it rusting to the point of falling off.
Resident of Beaverton, Oregon
Proud owner of 2 Model L's and a 1984 WS-3000 serial # 717
19 years old
want to chat? send me a request on discord: Egress.#7444 or DM me

HX56
YouTube Username: HX56

Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:38 am

This is interesting, I vividly remember watching that video a few years back, but had no clue they were Ex-SONGS.
Siren Enthusiast from Australia since 2012. Designer of the KEYTROL-K4 Siren Controller.

Duderocks5539

Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:20 am

Model L wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:40 am
I was down in brookings today and decided to take a look at the STL 10 in pistol river. turns out, it is indeed an Ex-SONGS siren, siren #CP-09 to be exact. the second STL-10 head is no longer there, it may have been moved inside the building or used to replace a different siren. the siren head at harris beach (the one mounted on the bathroom) was removed probably 2 or 3 years ago at this point, you can still see where the pole was and where the wires to the siren entered the building. additionally, the siren in pistol river is missing one of its horns entirely, likely due to it rusting to the point of falling off.
Now that right there is awesome, that specific location was on Camp Pendleton. Please tell me you got a video tour of it or at least pictures of it, especially the cabinet. Were you by chance able to open the cabinet at all? They appear to not have a spot for a lock according to the blueprints of them as well. I've noticed a few of the sirens actually had different cabinets, such as the one that was at Harris Beach, must've put the controls in a new enclosure or something, as for horns rotting on some and falling off, that's pretty crazy, the costal air must be much more harsh then it is down here in SoCal, because in a picture of an STL-10 from the legacy system taken in 2001, its in great shape minus little spots of rust, atleast that one was, but no rotting or major rust. We still need to find the rest of them because supposedly they got 23 sirens from the legacy system, but only about 6 or so have been found. I really want someone to get pictures of the cabinets and if possible, open them and get pictures of the controls, but they did replace the original radios with Federal FC's.

Also if you notice, the brackets the legs are mounted on instead of the legs bolting to the pull itself are actually Sentry mounts, because believe it or not, the system originally started out in late 1981 as Sentry 10V's, 5V's, and 3V8's, but for a super short time only up until about February or March 1982, until they swapped all the Sentries out for STL-10s by May 1982, and then later on the Model 120s came to be and swapped majority of the STL-10s out, but they decided to swap out atleast 21 STL-10s out for Model 120s, and leave the remaining STL-10s up since it would cost them another 1 million or so to swap out the STL-10s were all Model 120s. And they determined any future sirens that would be added, such as in 1987/88 when locations SC-15, 16, 17, and 18 were added in due to new devolvement in the hilly areas in San Clemente would be Model 120s, and at the same time those for locations were added in, location SC-12 which was a Thunderbolt that was already there as an old CD siren for San Clemente, but was incorporated and used for SONGS now was also replaced by a 120.

Here are documents showing the the Sentries being swapped for STL-10s, as well as locations and what not in 1981-82, you'll notice that most locations were labeled differently such as the locations in Dana Point being labled as "OC" instead of "DP" because Dana Point wasn't its own officially city prior to 1989, it was just an Orange County beach and city and not its own city, along with some not added in yet such as only being 3 sirens in San Juan Capistrano, which was later on brought to 8 sirens, and for the Whelen system, 9 total locations since new development was occurring around the time the Whelens went up and more coverage was needed, this was the same case in a part of San Clemente as well with 2 brand new locations added in, another thing to note about the Whelen system is that there was a handful o locations that were actually moved slightly, but here are the docs:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BatPsm ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w5oYn_ ... sp=sharing
Last edited by Duderocks5539 on Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Model L
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:26 am

AAGH, the cabinet had no lock and i didnt try the handle .... ill get it next year. yeah, the coastal air here is pretty rough, and i'm pretty certain its the fact that the mornings on the oregon coast are almost always super foggy. Yeah, I realized today that the siren was indeed on a sentry mount, pretty weird.
FYI we cannot view the documents as they are stored locally on your computer. you could try uploading them to google drive and sharing them that way!
I do have pictures of both the siren and the cabinet, including the tag and location label. funnily enough, there's a sentry 3v8 a few miles south of this siren thats mounted on - believe it or not, an STH/STL intake cone. pretty weird. I'll upload the pictures tomorrow.
19 years old

Model L
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:31 am

there's 2 pictures. looks like i didn't get a full pic of the control box but there wasn't a lock on it, that I remember.
19 years old

Duderocks5539

Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:50 pm

Model L wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:26 am
AAGH, the cabinet had no lock and i didnt try the handle .... ill get it next year. yeah, the coastal air here is pretty rough, and i'm pretty certain its the fact that the mornings on the oregon coast are almost always super foggy. Yeah, I realized today that the siren was indeed on a sentry mount, pretty weird.
FYI we cannot view the documents as they are stored locally on your computer. you could try uploading them to google drive and sharing them that way!
I do have pictures of both the siren and the cabinet, including the tag and location label. funnily enough, there's a sentry 3v8 a few miles south of this siren thats mounted on - believe it or not, an STH/STL intake cone. pretty weird. I'll upload the pictures tomorrow.
Updated the links and should be good to go, and those pictures are awesome! Yeah that Oregon air is much more harsh then the air down here in California, at least off the coast of SoCal, because in a picture of a location from 2001 which was location SC-07 at the San Clemente pier, there is just surface rust, but not rotting or anything like that, and by 2001, the STL-10s were 19 years old, and the Model 120s were 18 years old. But strikingly, the cabinet tag that says for problems to call SCE, its actually the same exact layout and wording on the tags that were on the Whelen cabinets of the newest iteration of the system, and actually, location CP-09 actually still exists today, along with the other 9 locations on Camp Pendleton, they kept them because they wanted to tie them in with their system of Cooper WAVES sirens that were installed in 2008, and also by that time I was told the Whelens on CP had Cooper RTUs or something mounted behind the ESC-2020 cabinets, as well as a second solar panel added, and then an big antenna.

These weren't on the Whelens on CP prior to 2008 from what I was told. But anyways, was the cabinet by chance openable? Like I said above, the only thing they upgraded internally in the cabinets is by adding Federal Signal FC's in place of the original radios, but if possible, you should open the cabinets and take pictures inside ONLY if you can open them, and you can also see if its still active or not by looking at the breaker switches they have inside. Supposedly Curry County bought 23 or so sirens from the SONGS legacy system after they took all the original sirens down, but we have only found like 6 or so, and all of which are STL-10s, since there was more STL-10s in the system then 120s, even though it was going to be all Model 120s. But look around for more and we need to find the remaining locations, and imagine if they actually did get some 120s? The only thing I see though, as since the 2810s that went in place of the Model 120s reused the Model 120 mounting plates, Curry County would've had to make new mounting plates for the 120s, and you can see the STL-10s were sold to them with the Sentry brackets they were mounted on, and the 2806s that went in place of the STL-10s got new brackets, but look similar to the Sentry brackets. I beleive Edison made those new brackets in house, but it was kind of weird if they did because when they bought the Whelens, all would've came with mounting brackets from Whelen since its provided with the siren. So its kind of weird Edison wanted to make new brackets to put the STL-10s on instead of just using the brackets from Whelen which would come with them, the 2810s on the 120 poles were just easier to drill new holes to mount the 2810 heads on the original plate rather then cutting the plate off the top on say a steel pole which the plate isn't just screwed on like a wood pole, its apart of the pole, and just bolt the Whelen bracket to the 120 pole.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”