Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Baton Rouge, Louisiana old CD sirens

Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:59 pm

So, here's the story:

Last night, I saw a post in the siren enthusiasts group that someone had found an abandoned Model 5 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana while looking for Fallout Shelters. So, with this for ammunition, i proceeded to siren hunt until the early morning hours (around 1 or 2, began at 10:45) and made some interesting discoveries. They are below:

The Model 5 that started my whole journey (I cannot take any credit for finding this, EL1998P71 found it originally):
https://goo.gl/maps/LTB8e

Now, heres the crown jewel, a tipped over Thunderbolt. I checked historic imagery on google earth, in the view from 3/2002, you can see the siren mounted beside a chimney. How it fell over, im not sure. I think its mount probably gave way, and so down comes the siren:
https://goo.gl/maps/r5443

Here's a Whelen 4008 I found. Although its not a CD siren, I feel it is worth a mention:
https://goo.gl/maps/KiJxV

Next, here's a stupidly low Model 5 at Fire Station #9. I doubt this thing is active:
https://goo.gl/maps/lZscq

And the last siren I was able to find was this Model 5 at a possibly abandoned fire station on Osage St:
https://goo.gl/maps/t0BpI

With all of this, I have a feeling there are more CD sirens somewhere in Baton Rouge. And someone found a fallout shelter map for the city so that probably means Baton Rouge was into Civil Defense big time during the cold war.

UPDATE: Since the time of the original post, I have discovered a Thunderbolt at Fire Station 10: https://goo.gl/maps/k7V5q
I also found empty siren sites at Erwinville's fire station and at Brusly's fire station, which are across the river from Baton Rouge proper. They look like two poles with cross beams at the top.
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

metalstorm
YouTube Username: metalstorm1217

Re: Baton Rouge, Louisiana old CD sirens

Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:03 pm

Does Baton Rouge have any current active system?

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:24 am

metalstorm wrote:Does Baton Rouge have any current active system?
No, at least to my knowledge.
24, and not dead yet.
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:36 am

I hate to bump my own thread, but I decided to siren hunt again and made a rather interesting discovery. Along the I-110 corridor I discovered 3 more Whelen 4008s. I am beginning to question if there is an organized siren system in placr in Baton Rouge? I know that there are a lot of oil refineries and other industries in the city, so it would make sense for there to be a siren system in place of toxic chemical spills and other stuff. I do wonder, are there more CD sirens or Whelens in the city?
24, and not dead yet.
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:04 pm

Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

PeachtreeSirens
YouTube Username: PeachtreeSirens

Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:14 pm

I believe East Baton Rouge Parish has an organized system - I think this is at least partly because part of it lies within the EPZ for the River Bend nuclear plant. I recall seeing 2910s replacing 3016s to the north of the plant last time I poked around on satellite.

Take all this with a grain of salt though, haven't poked around the area much lately, and the parish OEM website is not helpful in this regard...
Don't wait. Take a siren photo today.
I was VASirens, but I moved.Check out IRC!
Proud owner of a frozen Model A, a Darley Champion "L", an Ademco 12V beehive, a few horns, a brass whistle and several old weather radios that sound like sirens. Those last three count, right?

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:18 pm

VASirens wrote:I believe East Baton Rouge Parish has an organized system - I think this is at least partly because part of it lies within the EPZ for the River Bend nuclear plant. I recall seeing 2910s replacing 3016s to the north of the plant last time I poked around on satellite.

Take all this with a grain of salt though, haven't poked around the area much lately, and the parish OEM website is not helpful in this regard...
I just did a quick look around and found a pair
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Enter ... !1e1?hl=en
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

Jrthekendoll
New User

Thu May 11, 2017 4:00 am

Baton Rouge doesn't do monthly tests anymore. Honestly I don't think they care about the sirens anymore. Theres a whelen 4008 on my street that hasn't been activated since hurricane Gustav.

Cynicade
New User

Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:58 pm

I know this post is a few years old, but after living in BR for almost my whole life, I was under the impression that we didn't have any sirens. The fact there's a standing Thunderbolt that you found made me almost scream. I'm hitting up friends who would put up with driving around the city in search of inactive sirens.

I don't know how you guys find sirens, seriously, but thank you so much for doing so. All this time I've yet to find any tornado siren maps for Louisiana. I want to make one, using what y'all found and other maps that include bits of Louisiana. I'll be posting it to the sticky for tornado siren maps.

If y'all find any others, please PM me!! This is so exciting to know.

p.s., they really should test the sirens again. Like Brandon W said, we have lots of plants in BR that really should have warning sirens in place. And even though we aren't in tornado alley, we get tornados. An EF-1 hit the heart of BR a month or so ago. I now live NE of the city and between me and the boarder of MS, they always seem to be getting tornados in a very rural area. I can't say I don't have a special interest in them coming back, however.... I would love to hear sirens again.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”