waverider3108

Re: New Member - Former MadahCom/Cooper Employee

Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:00 pm

Here is one of three Cooper Demo rigs that would criss-cross the country - doing demos and marketing gigs. We put regular gasoline generators on these as well as an electric winch so the out of shape sales guys wouldn't be huffing and puffing during their quick setup demos.
Attachments
Picture 054-small.jpg
Picture 054-small.jpg (72.42 KiB) Viewed 2178 times

waverider3108

Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:36 pm

Found this on a photography website- one of our troops was up and playing with a camera at night in Iraq and took this and a few other very nice photos. Had to shrink it down. Original file was too big.
Attachments
smaller horn array pic.jpg
smaller horn array pic.jpg (302.25 KiB) Viewed 2174 times

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:49 pm

Welcome to the board! I hit the nail on the head with my post of the MadahCom system in Hawaii. It looks like company made some similar decisions to what ASC did back in the 90's after being bought by Hormann America and using the ECN series heads from the German manufacturer with their own controls. If I had to guess their German counterpart did the same thing by raising the price for the horns and eventually made them drop their version of that particular series, albeit ASC moved completely away from the linear horns instead of having them caste here in the US.

The WAVES sirens are pretty neat. I recorded one of the 3108R's in the MCLB-Albany system with my grandfather back in 2018. The volume of the prerecorded messages on their system is set a little low, however during that particular drill when HQ got on the mic and started broadcasting live messages at full power the siren rocked me pretty good. I was about 180 degrees off axis with the horns at one point and it felt like I was standing in front of them. That's not bad for an 800 watt speaker array, most others take double the wattage to get that kind of SPL and typically aren't as clear in their voice.

SiRcom actually established a branch of their company in the US a few years ago and took over a couple of existing MadahCom/Cooper/Eaton systems, Albany being one. I'm not too sure what work they've done to the sirens there since I recorded the system, but I do believe they installed at least one of their own sirens to replace one that was knocked down by the tornado that hit the area a few years ago. Their newer amps are digital and push the drivers to 150 watts instead of 125 like the old ones. I think they may have also changed their ohm ratings as well. Most of what they have been installing here in the US has been on military bases. So far they haven't expanded to college campuses like Cooper and Eaton did. Outside the US the company doesn't seem to get the same customer attention that others do like Hormann or Sonnenburg, but a few known systems of them have gone up outside of German with at least one being installed in the UK and another in South America.

I do have some questions. From what we've seen of these doing anything it's been mostly voice activation and a few random accidental activations and a test of wail tone. There's only one video of them doing a stead alert tone. I'm kind of curious on what other types of tones these things are capable of producing. I'm also curious if SiRcomUSA and Eaton have some sort of partnership in the works, since a lot of their literature for the HPSAs are similar. Some of it is word for word.
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

SirensOfNewYork

Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:17 pm

Could you possibly post a video of these things in action doing something else besides censor beeps and voices? I've only heard them doing that and the wail tone (in videos).
~SirensOfNewYork

Amateur HVAC, Siren, Car, Plane, and security and fire alarm enthusiast

My profile photo is not mine. It belongs to the creator of the California siren map.

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:53 pm

SirensOfNewYork wrote:
Could you possibly post a video of these things in action doing something else besides censor beeps and voices? I've only heard them doing that and the wail tone (in videos).
MCAS Futenma in Ginowan, Okinawa, Japan has at least one WAVES HPSA-8106R that does alert. It is mixed into a system of Whelen WPS omnidirectional sirens. The Whelen's have been augmented with WAVES transceivers. For some reason the Whelen sirens don't appear to do tone anymore. I'm not sure if that is due to a limitation of the WAVES controller lacking enough relays to trip the tone inputs on the AUX board for the controls or if they just haven't been set up properly. It works out well in the videos, for us anyway, since we can hear what these things sound like in alert without anything else running in the background. They sound pretty much as you'd expect, peaking at 850/1020 Hz like any of Federal's electronic sirens in dual tone with a raspy Thunderbolt-esque tremble. I think the effect on the sound is due to the shape of the speakers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOjGmtw_zrI
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

SirensOfNewYork

Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:23 pm

DJ2226 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:53 pm
SirensOfNewYork wrote:
MCAS Futenma in Ginowan, Okinawa, Japan has at least one WAVES HPSA-8106R that does alert. It is mixed into a system of Whelen WPS omnidirectional sirens. The Whelen's have been augmented with WAVES transceivers. For some reason the Whelen sirens don't appear to do tone anymore. I'm not sure if that is due to a limitation of the WAVES controller lacking enough relays to trip the tone inputs on the AUX board for the controls or if they just haven't been set up properly. It works out well in the videos, for us anyway, since we can hear what these things sound like in alert without anything else running in the background. They sound pretty much as you'd expect, peaking at 850/1020 Hz like any of Federal's electronic sirens in dual tone with a raspy Thunderbolt-esque tremble. I think the effect on the sound is due to the shape of the speakers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOjGmtw_zrI
Oh yes, I've seen this video. I've also seen these two:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX6Mzb54rEQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRGt1AEOMow
As far as I know both of them are still there. I've seen the DC one on google maps.
~SirensOfNewYork

Amateur HVAC, Siren, Car, Plane, and security and fire alarm enthusiast

My profile photo is not mine. It belongs to the creator of the California siren map.

soundsright
New User

Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:59 pm

Where can we go in the United States to see the Eaton Waves speakers ? Is there a complete list of locations somewhere on their website ?

HudsonRiverSirens
YouTube Username: HudsonRiverSirens
Discord: gls5768

Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:04 am

soundsright wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:59 pm
Where can we go in the United States to see the Eaton Waves speakers ? Is there a complete list of locations somewhere on their website ?
SUNY Purchase, SUNY Maritime, and SUNY New Paltz all have waves sirens. One of the pictures on their website features the Maritime WAVES
Sirens may not be sexy, but they sure work.

HDN
YouTube Username: NotSureHowLoudThisCanGet

Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:03 am

Those are neat pictures! One of those siren trailers would look nice being towed by a HMMWV... Gives me some ideas for expanding my military truck collection :)
~1950 Federal Enterprises Model 5 - 12-port
1995 AM General M35A3

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”