DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

E2S: Electronic Klaxon Sirens In The US, Last Of The 10/12s

Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:55 pm

As many of you know the US has had a number of overseas siren manufacturers enter into the market. There were many: Kockum Sonics, Hormann through Hormann America, ASC, and ASI, SiRcom through MadahCom and eventually their own USA branch, Telegrafia or Helin (not too sure who the equipment originated from) through Alertus, and to round it off a lesser known French company called Pakita who produces sirens and also has an American branch. I'm going to throw another one into the mix, E2S. I've mentioned it in the Facebook group, but I'm not too sure people here actually know about this.

This company mainly sales small warning apparatuses like fire alarms, train bells, and other miscellaneous noise makers and visual warning systems. The one thing that would catch anyone's attention from this forum is their wide area warning systems. They appear to resell some of Klaxon's and Sirenco's outdoor warning sirens. On the mechanical side E2S sells 3 of Sirenco's larger mechanical sirens. The sirens themselves seem to be based on the same design as those made by Castle Castings, which is similar to the design used by Klaxon. The smallest is a single tone 12 port unit. The medium sized unit is similar to the smaller siren but with a larger chopper and motor. Klaxon typically uses the 10 port chopper for their single tone sirens, so it's not an exact match to this sirens as far as their pitch goes. They are however paired with motors of the same specifications with 2.2 and 4.0 KW motors respectively. The largest one uses two of the same chopper as the 4 KW unit. This siren is dual tone with a 10/12 port ratio, making it the last of the 10/12 sirens you can get brand new on the US market. While they do ship standard with voltage inputs different from those in the US, they can be ordered in 240VAC. The specs on these sirens are made with the motors operating at 50 Hz, bringing their speeds up to roughly 2800 RPM. On our 60 Hz the motor would speed up to around 3450 RPM increasing the pitch on them along with the SPL to some extent.

These are part of the K-SML series, models K-SML05, K-SML10, and K-SML15 with a SPL of 135, 140, and 145 dB at 1 meter respectively. If my math worked out they should be roughly 105, 110, and 115 dB at 30 meters or 100 feet. I'm not too sure how many dB they would pick up with the motors spinning faster.

They also sell a few different series of electronic sirens. There are two small units, the A-131 and A-141. These are sirens for small applications based on E2S's own controls. The A-131 uses small horns, I believe 35 watts each, while the A-141 uses a single or dual 400 watt horns. The 141 uses the alternate version of the horn that ATI and ASC use for their sirens. This one happens to be made out of plastic instead of metal and uses a design similar to the Atlas CJ-46, albeit with four cores in one horn. I suspect it might be able to throw sound more effectively, as the flares of the horns would probably allow them to exceed 90 degrees of sound dispersion. The larger of the three and the one I'm focusing on for this post is the A-151 series. These sirens are the same electronic ones sold through Klaxon in the UK. As you'll see in the pictures below they use linear diffraction horns with a clamp to the pole design. The clamp itself is based around the design used by SiRcom and WAVES and has a channel for a piece of rectangular conduit to fit in between to carry the wires. These particular sirens are in somewhat of the same situation as the ones from Alertus and MadahCom owned WAVES in that both E2S and Klaxon source them from the Greek company Comtel. In all clear/alert the sirens produce a 475Hz tone, based on what a 10 port siren would sound like on 50Hz. In dual tone the controller offsets the tone by 10 Hz like most typical European sirens, which is a bit unfortunate considering they could shift the pitch a little more and have it sounding relatively close of the classic sound of their dual tone mechanical sirens. In attack they don't sustain, so their attack tone is more of a wail tone like from Whelen or FS. Klaxon and Comtel also sell a small omnidirectional array, but E2S doesn't appear to carry that model in their lineup. E2S only has the 2 horn model displayed on their website, however the Klaxon and Comtel units can go all the way up to 18 horns. Each speaker from what I can tell runs typically at 125 watts like the older analog amplifier based SiRcom systems, making the tallest model 2250 watts. Each amp can push up to 400 watts at full power, however I think the reserve the full power for voice messages the same way Whelen does. In the Comtel spec sheets the amps only are connected to 2 or 3 drivers at once.

These are the specs of the A-151 series from the Comtel website. The scheme of the model is # of amps - # of horns - SPL:
Omnidirectional Sirens:
CS 1-2-106 106db @ 30m
CS 2-2-106 106db @ 30m; this model has 2 amps
CS 2-4-112 112db @ 30m
CS 2-6-115 115db @ 30m
CS 4-8-118 118db @ 30m
CS 4-12-121 121db @ 30m
CS 6-18-124 124db @ 30m

Directional Sirens:
CSD 1-2-109 106db @ 30m; horns side-by-side
CSD 1-2-112 112db @ 30m; horns stacked vertical
CSD 1-3-115 115db @ 30m
CSD 2-4-118 118db @ 30m
CSD 2-6-118 118db @ 30m; horns side-by-side
CSD 2-6-121 121db @ 30m; horns stacked vertical
CSD 4-12-124 124db @ 30m
CSD 6-18-127 127db @ 30m

At the moment I'm unaware of any of the mechanical sirens being sold in the US, however I wouldn't be surprised if one did pop up in the wild. Obviously they will sound higher pitch compared to their UK equivalents and have a flatter sound compared to a 2T22. I'll link to a video below of a CLM Carter style siren for anyone who hasn't heard how these British sirens sound on 60 Hz. While the design of the two are different, the rotor and port design between them are almost the same. They should sound similar, if not identical. As for the electronic sirens there's a know installation of at least two A-151's at Oneok Hydrocarbons Facility in Mont Belvieu, Texas. Installations of these electronic sirens seem to be very rare even in the UK where both Klaxon and one of E2S's branches are based. In a way they remind me of SiRcom because of this, since there are only a handful of systems in Germany where the company is based. I'll link a couple of videos below of what they sound like as well. On a side note, this makes four companies in the US to still offer strictly AC powered sirens with the other three being Sentry, Werden Electric, and Pakita.

E2S Wide Area Warning Systems webpage: https://www.e2s.com/products/fire-and-i ... mily/rn130
Comtel siren webpage: https://www.comtel.gr/language/en/cs-electronic-siren/
Klaxon webpage: https://www.klaxonsignals.com/massnotif ... /products/
Sirenco webpage: https://sirencosirens.com/shop/

Here are some pictures off of their website and the videos. First I'll start with the mechanical sirens:

They would sound similar to this on 240VAC 60 Hz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faq-oxKZdg4

Here's the electronic siren.

These are from the Comtel website.

Here's a video of one doing yeow and all clear/alert. This unit doesn't have Klaxon logos on the horns, so I believe it is an E2S unit. You can also hear the narrow pitch offset it uses for dual tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXuj6uCjflY

This second video is of a single tone Klaxon ES4S, which is the same as the 18 horn A-151. This single siren replaced a few of the sirens from the Broadmoor system to my understanding. The replacement siren is 124 dB at 100 feet, so it packs more of a punch compared to the older mechanical sirens. It also has a coverage pattern closer to being omnidirectional compared to the cloverleaf pattern of the older units.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBDTPz-t3tg
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

Chem_Boffin_6589
YouTube Username: Alfie Woolard
Discord: Alfie

Re: E2S: Electronic Klaxon Sirens In The US, Last Of The 10/12s

Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:42 pm

DJ2226 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:55 pm
At the moment I'm unaware of any of the mechanical sirens being sold in the US, however I wouldn't be surprised if one did pop up in the wild. Obviously they will sound higher pitch compared to their UK equivalents and have a flatter sound compared to a 2T22. I'll link to a video below of a CLM Carter style siren for anyone who hasn't heard how these British sirens sound on 60 Hz. While the design of the two are different, the rotor and port design between them are almost the same. They should sound similar, if not identical. As for the electronic sirens there's a know installation of at least two A-151's at Oneok Hydrocarbons Facility in Mont Belvieu, Texas. Installations of these electronic sirens seem to be very rare even in the UK where both Klaxon and one of E2S's branches are based. In a way they remind me of SiRcom because of this, since there are only a handful of systems in Germany where the company is based. I'll link a couple of videos below of what they sound like as well. On a side note, this makes four companies in the US to still offer strictly AC powered sirens with the other three being Sentry, Werden Electric, and Pakita.
Funnily enough, I only have one of their mechanical sirens mapped in the UK, which is now gone and replaced with their weird 4-driver-1-horn speaker sets further south. As you've said, the design is beasically the same here as it is there: directional rotors, standard stators and I guess the motors are the same too. As you've said it is weird how little foothold Klaxon has in the E-siren market in their home country, Germany seems to have secured most of it pretty well.
Alfie Woolard
Federal Signal MC know-it-all.
Installed, initiated and maintains school campus warning system.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtGVVz ... 8BQ47VmdHg

SirensOfNewYork

Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:20 pm

Oh my goodness, finally somebody acknowledges Klaxon's electronic sirens! I've been trying to find another recording of one of these for months.
~SirensOfNewYork

Amateur HVAC, Siren, Car, Plane, and security and fire alarm enthusiast

My profile photo is not mine. It belongs to the creator of the California siren map.

SirensOfNewYork

Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:26 am

I found another recording.
Here is one doing Hi-Lo and Alert.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikeBnMhJa4M
~SirensOfNewYork

Amateur HVAC, Siren, Car, Plane, and security and fire alarm enthusiast

My profile photo is not mine. It belongs to the creator of the California siren map.

championsiren
YouTube Username: Position Light Productions
Discord: Same as my YT #6187

Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:57 pm

Sorry for the bump, but I just wanted to say that Klaxon still sells their GP, FP, and CS series sirens. You have to special order a CS series siren though.
"Someday soon we'll stop to ponder what on earth's this spell we're under...
We made the grade and still we wonder who the hell we are..."
-Styx, from The Grand Illusion

championsiren
YouTube Username: Position Light Productions
Discord: Same as my YT #6187

Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:13 pm

James B wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:10 pm
IceBolt_1003 wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:57 pm
Sorry for the bump, but I just wanted to say that Klaxon still sells their GP, FP, and CS series sirens. You have to special order a CS series siren though.
From what I've heard you could get the coded shutters added up until 2005, when they were discontinued due to low demand. The CS series was not actually a series of sirens, rather the name of the shutters that are fitted on the side of GP sirens.
Well the PDF I found was from a few years ago, so that isn't a surprise :)
"Someday soon we'll stop to ponder what on earth's this spell we're under...
We made the grade and still we wonder who the hell we are..."
-Styx, from The Grand Illusion

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”