Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:35 pm

a proud owner of a FS model A and a selectone

matthewwatson
YouTube Username: matt makes machines
Discord: matthew watson#6542

Re: slivery sirens

Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:00 pm

that's just a federal signal STL-10 and a darly STH-10
Last edited by matthewwatson on Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Creator of electronic toneset library (pm for details)
owner of an FCH, 2 UVs and a UV+, electrovoice 848A, MCP A400W amp, 2 200w drivers, and many home made 3D printed sirens
Future owner of an whelen vortex R3 with an ESC-2020

duckwaddledup

Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:01 pm

yes they are but i just thought it was kind of interesting that they ware sliver painted
Last edited by duckwaddledup on Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Snowpix
YouTube Username: ArxCyberwolf
Discord: snowpix7911

Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:25 am

I very highly doubt they're stainless, they're likely just painted silver. Both sirens are very old and stainless steel was expensive back then.
Just a wolf, siren enthusiast and railfan.
Owner of the Civil Defense Sirens Wiki, the best site for accurate siren information.
https://civil-defense-sirens.fandom.com ... irens_Wiki
Proud owner of an FS&S Model L and Sterling Type F!

duckwaddledup

Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:05 am

ah i didnt think of that

Unit of Civil Defense

Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:35 pm

...The paint used on those sirens is probably "barn paint" at least that is what I have heard it referred to by the farmers and ranchers that swear by it. From what I have been made to understand, barn paint (not its real name) has some sort of metal? as part of the paint mix that makes it even more durable than the best of the best exterior paints available. I believe it only comes in white, red and silver .....I could be wrong. Note that the water tower and siren appear to be of the same shade of silver as if they were both painted ,as part of routine maintenance and upkeep, at the same time.
I used some white on a fence here at home and the stuff wears like iron. I purchased my white paint years ago from a local farm & ranch store.
Rheems1 wrote: I petition that everyone who joins the board should have to put there age or year of birth in thier signature...32 here
....Lifes great, I'm 58

HDN
YouTube Username: NotSureHowLoudThisCanGet

Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:57 am

Unit of Civil Defense wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:35 pm
...The paint used on those sirens is probably "barn paint" at least that is what I have heard it referred to by the farmers and ranchers that swear by it. From what I have been made to understand, barn paint (not its real name) has some sort of metal? as part of the paint mix that makes it even more durable than the best of the best exterior paints available. I believe it only comes in white, red and silver .....I could be wrong. Note that the water tower and siren appear to be of the same shade of silver as if they were both painted ,as part of routine maintenance and upkeep, at the same time.
I used some white on a fence here at home and the stuff wears like iron. I purchased my white paint years ago from a local farm & ranch store.
When I had a house with a pole barn on the property, it came with a pair of 5-gallon cans of the "barn paint" you describe. It was meant to be applied to the metal (sheet steel?) roof panels to keep them from rusting out. I believe the paint was also thick enough to seal around the roof panel fasteners to help prevent water leaks.
~1950 Federal Enterprises Model 5 - 12-port
1995 AM General M35A3

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”