Blixt1000

YouTube Username: Blixt1000
Discord: Redi Wolf#8162

Where there any Whelen Sirens in different colours other than Black and White?

Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:09 am

I remember one of the sirens of San Onofre was a Whelen 2806 that was White. And that got me thinking. Are there any other Whelens that are different colours out there? I do know that there were some rotational Whelens that were painted the CD Yellow and of course the aforementioned White Whelen in the SONGS System. I also knew that the competitor Modulator had different colours out there like the ones in Hawai that were Green and the infamous rainbow one in Monroe County, MI. So tell me. Where there any Whelens that wern't the normal Black, Gray or White out there and if so, I would like google maps location or picture if available.
Image American Motors Company
Proud Owner of a Single-End Sterling Little Giant

CD_Siren
Discord: cdsiren

Re: Where there any Whelen Sirens in different colours other than Black and White?

Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:57 am

I think the S.O.N.G.S White Whelen was actually painted black at one time. The paint probably just came off somehow.
I still post here, but not as much as I used to. :roll:
Casual enthusiast who lives in the natural state of Arkansas.
Hoping to get a siren someday...
Not the brightest mind, but getting there.

Palmspringslocator2
YouTube Username: DesertSirens

Re: Where there any Whelen Sirens in different colours other than Black and White?

Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:54 pm

CD_Siren wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:57 am
I think the S.O.N.G.S White Whelen was actually painted black at one time. The paint probably just came off somehow.
The white Whelen was actually re-painted white for whatever reason. Before it got removed the black started showing a tiny bit in certain spots

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:39 pm

There are some red 4000s in Tempe, AZ.

ImageWhelen siren Tempe, Arizona by carexpertandy, on Flickr

ImageWhelen sirens Tempe, Arizona by carexpertandy, on Flickr
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

HX56
YouTube Username: HX56

Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:19 pm

There is a double Whelen 3016 setup at Cannon Beach. The 3016's are Forest Green.

Siren Enthusiast from Australia since 2012. Designer of the KEYTROL-K4 Siren Controller.

Model L
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: Egress
Discord: Egress.

Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:41 pm

those whelens have deteriorated to a more muddy green. but they're still up and presumably still work.
Resident of Beaverton, Oregon
Proud owner of 2 Model L's and a 1984 WS-3000 serial # 717
19 years old
want to chat? send me a request on discord: Egress.#7444 or DM me

metalstorm
YouTube Username: metalstorm1217

Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:02 pm

St Louis County MO used to have a system with many 3016s and 400Rs that were civil defense yellow to match the older Thunderbolts and 2t22s in their system. All are now replaced by 29xxs.

uncommonsense

Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:37 pm

metalstorm wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:02 pm
St Louis County MO used to have a system with many 3016s and 400Rs that were civil defense yellow to match the older Thunderbolts and 2t22s in their system. All are now replaced by 29xxs.
Those were 2000Rs. 400Rs were equivalent to Vortexes.

That said, STL County's old system also had a few CD yellow 4004s which I'm not sure were seen anywhere else.

siren fan

Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:41 am

HX56 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:19 pm
There is a double Whelen 3016 setup at Cannon Beach. The 3016's are Forest Green.

A video of these would be awesome. I'd like to see how they oscillate.

uncommonsense

Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:47 pm

The rotators are disabled on the 3016s. They're used directionally along the coast.

Cannon Beach has a fascinating system because its primarily made up of Frankenwhelens that have been salvaged from used parts (such as the 3016-DSA). They also have the WS-400Hx4 siren head that's floated around here from time to time.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”