Tboltguy

Chrysler-Bell Victory Siren Operators

Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:46 pm

Hey everyone,

This is a question that I've had for a while now, so I thought I'd ask it here. When the Chrysler-Bell victory siren was in service and had to be activated manually, who would be the one to climb up into the operator's seat and operate the siren? Was there a special position for this in the civil defense administration?

Additionally, were these operators just on call 24/7 to run up to the roof of a building or the top of a tower with a siren on top of it and operate it? Did they work in the buildings or near the towers that the sirens were on?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Very proud owner of a Federal Signal Thunderbolt 1000A, a Federal Sign & Signal Model D, a Federal Sign & Signal STH-10B, and two Federal Signal IC-S2S4s (5 & 13 Port Variants).

Fletch

Re: Chrysler-Bell Victory Siren Operators

Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:31 am

This is a good question. IIRC, somewhere along the line, many of these sirens were rigged to start up and operate without an operator.

Tboltguy

Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:01 am

Fletch wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:31 am
This is a good question. IIRC, somewhere along the line, many of these sirens were rigged to start up and operate without an operator.
The second generation of Chrysler air raid sirens were equipped to activate via telephone line signals, however I'm referring to the earlier models of Chrysler-Bell victory sirens that were fitted with a rear facing operator's seat and almost automobile like manual controls to operate the siren.
Very proud owner of a Federal Signal Thunderbolt 1000A, a Federal Sign & Signal Model D, a Federal Sign & Signal STH-10B, and two Federal Signal IC-S2S4s (5 & 13 Port Variants).

Bijay
YouTube Username: 5ijay

Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:59 pm

Tboltguy wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:46 pm
Hey everyone,

This is a question that I've had for a while now, so I thought I'd ask it here. When the Chrysler-Bell victory siren was in service and had to be activated manually, who would be the one to climb up into the operator's seat and operate the siren? Was there a special position for this in the civil defense administration?

Additionally, were these operators just on call 24/7 to run up to the roof of a building or the top of a tower with a siren on top of it and operate it? Did they work in the buildings or near the towers that the sirens were on?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
I'm pretty sure Civil Defense worker's would get up and start it up. Back in the day, they had their own sirens I believe, and would sound them them in-case of an emergency or drill. With that being said, there would of course be a few worker's who would kick start it up.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/165085142574546544/ Here it shows 2 Civil Defense workers (one operator and one look-out)
Holler!
Bijay/chefiBG
Your unlocal PNW resident!

Email : [email protected]

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”