HX56
YouTube Username: HX56

Kodiak Siren System - Information

Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:55 am

So recently I found out that Kodiak, a large island in Alaska, is home to 21 sirens. I have managed to find a bunch of information and a video of them sounding off, so here we go.

NEED: Kodiak is prone to very frequent earthquakes, which naturally poses a risk for tsunami’s. After a few devastating tsunami’s, a siren system was planned, and was going to be installed to give residents an early warning. The chosen sirens were Allertronic AL-4000s.

INSTALLATION: The AL-4000s are from the early ASC era, not the ACA era. A source suggests the sirens have been running for 30 years, which would make them installed in the mid 1980’s to early 1990’s. From the video source, you can tell the sirens are dual toned, which is quite rare for the Allertronic line.

REPLACEMENT: After the AL-4000s had been in service for almost 30 years, the local government decided to fund new sirens to replace the old ones. West shore services was tasked with supplying and installing Modulators and a few Eclipse-8s. West shore services sent out a bucket truck, along with the sirens, and a few people to install them. The new sirens directly replaced the Allertronic AL-4000's. (Means they were installed exactly where the old ones were)

The replacement begun in September 2020, and has been completed since then. I have a collection of photos that I posted on r/AirRaidSirens, which I will link below.

Video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RQtwKh6LRos
Photos: https://www.reddit.com/r/AirRaidSirens/ ... ka_photos/

Not sure whether you guys know this already but I had fun researching it, and I hope you found it interesting too.
-HX56
Siren Enthusiast from Australia since 2012. Designer of the KEYTROL-K4 Siren Controller.

CarolinaHurricane20

Re: Kodiak Siren System - Information

Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:31 am

Great article! Lots of good info.

HX56
YouTube Username: HX56

Re: Kodiak Siren System - Information

Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:57 am

CarolinaHurricane20 wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:31 am
Great article! Lots of good info.
Thankyou!
Siren Enthusiast from Australia since 2012. Designer of the KEYTROL-K4 Siren Controller.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”