SirensOfAustralia
YouTube Username: SirensAndTrainsDownUnder

American Sirens In Australia

Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:07 am

Hello to all siren board users,

I’m from NSW Australia, and I’m really eager to find any answers to my questions about what sirens we have. I have found answers and half of the question was answered but I was looking through a topic about how there was 30 ACA Cyclone 125s in Australia, but that hasn’t been confirmed at all. Apparently an Oil refinery in Port Stanvac located in South Australia has thunderbolts. But port stanvacs oil refinery has been shut down and demolished in 2014. BUT I’m not entirely sure about these facts. I’m dying to find any answers regarding the Cyclones if they have been purchased, where they have been installed, and there whereabouts/ current status. Any information about the Australian cyclone or thunderbolts would be appreciated.
A siren enthusiast down under. :)

Proud owner of a Skil Sher Wailing Joe & Alarm Master!

Catonawavewave

YouTube Username: NaturalStateSirens
Discord: catonawavewave

Re: American Sirens In Australia

Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:43 pm

Honestly, I don't think anyone knows where they went. I was the one who AI upscaled some of the Port Stanvac photos and saw what looked like a thunderbolt outline, so something must've been there. Try to find what company ran Stanvac and see if you can contact them. Also contact HX56 on the board, he's a big role in this Australia search and is doing a great job.
Proud owner of a 1998 ASC RM-130, 1977 3T22A, 1989 Model 2, a couple of SiraTrols, and a two hundred pound vintage cash register.

Proud CB radio "operator"

HX56
YouTube Username: HX56

Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:47 pm

Well, From what the photo’s showed, there was a siren which resembled the ACA Cyclone. With us already knowing 30 were sent to Australia, around the time the refinery was built, I guessed it would be that. The audio clips also show what sounds like a Cyclone on 50hz. I’ll post the photos and Thunderbolt theory when I get on my PC.

Apart from that, I recently found a 16v1T-B, with the help of Sentry looking at orders for me. I was able to contact the company which bought it, and they provided me the location, a refinery in South Australia (Top) There are some assorted Whelen’s spread throughout the country l, and a few Federal Signal sirens here and there. SA and VIC also has a lot of Sterling sirens, these being Little Giants, and a K5. A bunch of mystery sirens (over 400) appear to be GCS looking things, or really old Federal Signal. It’s been 7 years, and I still don’t know their model.
Siren Enthusiast from Australia since 2012. Designer of the KEYTROL-K4 Siren Controller.

HudsonRiverSirens
YouTube Username: HudsonRiverSirens
Discord: gls5768

Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:47 pm

Will you post the photos soon?
Sirens may not be sexy, but they sure work.

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:09 am

The thunderbolts in Australia thing is completely false I can comfortably say. I have a photo of the supposed siren, and to me it looks nothing like one but instead appears to be little more than a light on a crooked pole.
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

archizackture
YouTube Username: Shako_Lamb

Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:07 am

Brendan W wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:09 am
The thunderbolts in Australia thing is completely false I can comfortably say. I have a photo of the supposed siren, and to me it looks nothing like one but instead appears to be little more than a light on a crooked pole.
Haha, now I want to see the picture just to see how ridiculous it looks.
Architecture preservationist. I enjoy obscure history and mapping things, and grew up around sirens. Not planning to own one.
West Virginia State-wide & Western Maryland Siren Map

Synther
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: UtahSirens

Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:23 am

From the photos I've seen, any claims of Cyclones or Thunderbolts being at that plant are simply a result of wishful thinking. The pitched down 8/12 port siren in the Stanvac siren test video most likely isn't a Cyclone. While it is 8/12 port, it lacks the right timbre to be a Cyclone.
State of Utah siren map - My channel
STH-10, SD-10, 2 Model 2s

HudsonRiverSirens

Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:58 pm

Synther wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:23 am
From the photos I've seen, any claims of Cyclones or Thunderbolts being at that plant are simply a result of wishful thinking. The pitched down 8/12 port siren in the Stanvac siren test video most likely isn't a Cyclone. While it is 8/12 port, it lacks the right timbre to be a Cyclone.
Maybe it's just you. It sounds a hell of a lot like a Cyclone to me among others. I don't know what you mean about the timbre, it sounds like a Cyclone to me.

Some_3t22s
Discord: Devvendorf#5542

Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:19 pm

Well what other 8/12 sirens are out there other than ACA's products?
Iowan citizen in a land of T-128s, 2001s and 4004/4008s among many others.

"The middle class worker wouldn't want to work on a whole bridge, a half bridge is much easier."
-Jack

HudsonRiverSirens

Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:19 pm

Some_3t22s wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:19 pm
Well what other 8/12 sirens are out there other than ACA's products?
I think Grifco made a few but there isn't enough videos to know. Since we know that shipments of Cyclones were made to Australia and someone has supposedly found photos (which I hope are posted soon :roll: ) the Cyclones sound like the most plausible explanation. I have a feeling they sound different because of 50 hz.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”