uncommonsense

BOARD UPDATES: March 9, 2021

Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:13 am

Hello. We have some exciting updates and changes to present today, so let’s dive right into them.

1) The Community Systems Subforum. There have recently been a lot of posts about specific community systems that have been clogging up the main forum. As such, the mod team decided it was time for a Community Systems subforum for people to discuss the sirens in specific communities, ask questions about what systems various communities have, etc. You’ll see some preexisting threads moved there (with more to be moved if they are bumped) if they fit the category. A word of caution: do not start posting a deluge of threads just to fill up the subforum. Make sure your posts are substantive, interesting, and more than just “what does XYZ have” or “look at this random rusting Model 5 I found.” Videos should still go to the media subforum, however, you may reference videos in your write-ups if so desired.

2) The Mystery Sirens thread has gotten to be so long that we are archiving the original one and starting it fresh. But we’re not starting it fresh as a new thread. We’re starting it fresh as a new subforum: The Mystery Sirens subforum. This will make for easier searching and tracking of responses to individual posts. It will make it easier for new users to consult mysteries that have already been solved. A word of caution: this is not the place for blurry Google Maps photos and random speakers. What is posted need to be substantively and obviously sirens whose model identity is a mystery.

3) The sun setting of some longer threads that have lost their way. An explanation will be included if we find this to be necessary.

While we’re at it, we want to take a moment to address some issues we’ve seen with posting habits recently.

1) Please refresh yourself with the Code of Conduct. Posts need to be interesting, substantive, and professional. We put emphasis on the professional piece because this is a full out enthusiast forum, that includes new enthusiasts and professionals both. The kind of misinformation and garbled communication on YouTube and Facebook doesn’t fly here.

2) Posts should be generally interesting to all and not so specific that they fulfill the interest of one or two users.

3) Mapmaking is interesting and fun but it does not need to and should not pervade every topic posted here. Please keep discussion of mapmaking to the maps subforum.

Finally, we are going to be upgrading to phpBB 3.3, the latest release, at some point in the future. We do not have a rollout date but we fully expect this is going to break the custom themes used on this forum. We will be implementing standard phpBB themes when we upgrade. I suspect this is going to be a welcome change in the long term as our old themes break quite easily and some are not entirely mobile friendly. We will post about this when we have a final rollout date determined.

Hopefully these changes make for continued improvement to ARS. Happy posting!

Please feel free to respond if you have any questions or concerns.

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Re: BOARD UPDATES: March 9, 2021

Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:59 pm

I'm probably in the minority here, but I strongly dislike the movement of Mystery Sirens into their individual subforum and archiving the old thread. Having an entire subforum just leads to more confusion and posts have the opportunity to get lost in there, and not every mystery siren needs its own individual topic. Having the thread (the way it was since 2006) was a way better design, in my personal opinion, and having posts locked immediately after posting (when there are people that may know the answers) isn't going to accomplish anything either.
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

uncommonsense

Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:32 pm

nvanw27 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:59 pm
I'm probably in the minority here, but I strongly dislike the movement of Mystery Sirens into their individual subforum and archiving the old thread. Having an entire subforum just leads to more confusion and posts have the opportunity to get lost in there, and not every mystery siren needs its own individual topic. Having the thread (the way it was since 2006) was a way better design, in my personal opinion, and having posts locked immediately after posting (when there are people that may know the answers) isn't going to accomplish anything either.
I want to see how it works first. Let’s revisit it in a month or two and see how people are feeling. If it’s not working we can revert.

HudsonRiverSirens
YouTube Username: HudsonRiverSirens
Discord: gls5768

Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:06 pm

The mods don't necessarily need to lock the topics after everything, because someone else may want to put in an input. For example, there could be a siren someone says is, say, a Model 3, but then someone else comes in and says it's a short-frame 5.
Sirens may not be sexy, but they sure work.

uncommonsense

Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:00 am

Maybe there was some confusion because one topic got locked for violating the sub forum rules. It won’t be a regular habit.

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:07 pm

The sub forum rules probably weren’t known to the user at the time, and seeing as how that was the first post, the sub forum hadn’t even been open for very long before a rule was broken. A rules post should’ve been put in the subforum, not in here, where someone could’ve missed them.
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

HudsonRiverSirens
YouTube Username: HudsonRiverSirens
Discord: gls5768

Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:45 pm

nvanw27 wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:07 pm
The sub forum rules probably weren’t known to the user at the time, and seeing as how that was the first post, the sub forum hadn’t even been open for very long before a rule was broken. A rules post should’ve been put in the subforum, not in here, where someone could’ve missed them.
Why do you have a problem with everything? Please let the mods do their job. They know what they're doing, I'm sure.
Sirens may not be sexy, but they sure work.

uncommonsense

Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:21 pm

The rules for each sub forum are posted in the sub forum description (below the link into the forum on the main page) and in this post. It is expected everyone be familiar with those as outlined in the code of conduct.

Anyway I want to keep this open for discussion of improvements and making sure everything is working for the board. I would appreciate we use this space for that. If you have issues with how the board is moderated please direct those privately to us.

Synther
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: UtahSirens

Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:40 am

This is slightly off topic, but one issue i've been having for a while is the search bar hasn't been pulling up posts newer than around September of last year.
State of Utah siren map - My channel
STH-10, SD-10, 2 Model 2s

Matt
Administrator
Administrator

Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:13 am

Synther wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:40 am
This is slightly off topic, but one issue i've been having for a while is the search bar hasn't been pulling up posts newer than around September of last year.
Cool, so I wasn't crazy... fixed, sorry about that.
videogamer
Matt Ullman

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”