archizackture
YouTube Username: Shako_Lamb

10V2T called a "World War II air raid siren" in news article. Am I wildly misinformed or is that incorrect?

Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:25 pm

https://www.wvnews.com/news/wvnews/hist ... 33abf.html

The 10V2T in Weston, WV is being replaced with an Eclipse 8. This article claims that it originated as a WWII-era siren. It certainly looks the part in terms of poor aging, but I've never heard of this model of siren predating Sentry (ie being built by Sterling). Is there some information I don't have? That we don't have? That the City of Weston doesn't have?

Please do not barrage the article's comment section! If I know for sure that the city got their facts wrong, I will write a formal and polite note myself.
Architecture preservationist. I enjoy obscure history and mapping things, and grew up around sirens. Not planning to own one.
West Virginia State-wide & Western Maryland Siren Map

uncommonsense

Re: 10V2T called a "World War II air raid siren" in news article. Am I wildly misinformed or is that incorrect?

Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:13 am

In a broad technicality, the 10V2T is literally an M-10 on its side with horns. But no. The 10V2T was itself not made in WWII. A lot of news articles overstate age. Many of the people giving reporters info and reporters themselves aren’t enthusiasts and don’t know better.

WPS4004Man

Re: 10V2T called a "World War II air raid siren" in news article. Am I wildly misinformed or is that incorrect?

Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:18 am

According to the wiki, the 10V began production in 1981, and I assume the 10V2T would come after. I've seen news articles and videos call 2001's and other new sirens "WWII and Cold War era technology", usually to prove that sirens are ineffective in general. They're not wrong in the sense that this type of technology is rather old, but the sirens themselves are much newer. So to answer your question, you as an enthusiast are not wildly misinformed, rather the average news reporter doesn't know as much as we do about sirens.
Sentry rules, ATI's are for fools.

Living in Central Ohio, the Whelen capital of the country.

archizackture
YouTube Username: Shako_Lamb

Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:09 am

uncommonsense wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:13 am
In a broad technicality, the 10V2T is literally an M-10 on its side with horns. But no. The 10V2T was itself not made in WWII. A lot of news articles overstate age. Many of the people giving reporters info and reporters themselves aren’t enthusiasts and don’t know better.
Thanks for the affirmation.
Architecture preservationist. I enjoy obscure history and mapping things, and grew up around sirens. Not planning to own one.
West Virginia State-wide & Western Maryland Siren Map

HudsonRiverSirens
YouTube Username: HudsonRiverSirens
Discord: gls5768

Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:11 pm

Eh, I've seen a 2802 from Waldport, OR, being shown as the reporter called it a "Cold War air raid siren"...
people don't know their stuff.
Sirens may not be sexy, but they sure work.

siren fan

Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:34 pm

To some people all outdoor warning sirens are WW2 vintage lol.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”