SDsirenman
YouTube Username: NorthCentralSirens

Preparing for 2T22 Retrieval Edited 6/30/2021

Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:39 am

Well I will be prepping for the 2T22 retrieval process from Herman State Park in Lake County SD, it stopped working and they pulled it up and laid it out on the ground near their headquarters not sure what to do with it.
I found out cause I went looking for it since I saw it on Google Maps and went to take pictures of it but to my surprise it was gone and I began looking for the head guy who says the final say in anything at he park.

My contact said it just stopped working so it either suffered a strike or the motor gave out, or the motor starter gave out, they plan on a 130 naturally to be put in its place.
I plan on removing the horns and screens this week, specifically on July 1st and removing the radio controls the blue box as that has to stay with the county for reason's I don't understand but that would be useless to me anyways.
and Next week I plan on picking up the rest of the siren.

Once I get the siren to my place I will continue the dismantle process and take the motor to a motor shop to see what can be done.
If repairs aren't to pricey then I'll go ahead and have the motor repaired and rewound I'll have them test the motor starter too. once repairs are effected I will have the parts sent to SSPOWDER COAT in Brookings to be painted White or Grey
I'll wait a month for the powder coating of all the parts.
Once there done I'll reassemble the siren with new hardware (screws and nuts and bolts that is) new Decals and I'll keep her until I can donate it to a town that needs a louder siren.

Wish me luck

Yesterday I went to have the siren moved out of the junk pile and onto a grassy field for me to work on today, Im hoping that I can get all the 22 horns off and maybe with a little luck I might get the whole thing disassembled and transport myself
The AR Timer
https://www.flickr.com/photos/190305385 ... en-public/
The Motor Starter Cabinet (Has a single phase rectifier in it)
And the cabinet the AR timer was in
Last edited by SDsirenman on Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Archon

Re: Preparing for 2T22 Retrieval

Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:59 am

Don't be surprised it's just a sized bearing that is the problem Many of times I have run into that problem

SDsirenman

Re: Preparing for 2T22 Retrieval

Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:56 pm

Archon wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:59 am
Don't be surprised it's just a sized bearing that is the problem Many of times I have run into that problem
it wasn't he bearing, chopper rotated freely I think it was the conversion motor that burnt out or the impromptu device that was built to serve as a radio failed and they thought the siren broke. Those are the only thing I can see that might have failed

Archon

Re: Preparing for 2T22 Retrieval Edited 6/30/2021

Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:56 am

Is this single phase or Three phase

SDsirenman

Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:57 pm

Its 3 phase

HDN
YouTube Username: NotSureHowLoudThisCanGet

Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:09 pm

Have any pics of the siren?
~1950 Federal Enterprises Model 5 - 12-port
1995 AM General M35A3

SDsirenman

Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:45 am

I will be renting a Uhal truck to pic it up transport to my place, get the city to assit with unload, then proceed to take pictures of the unit.
Im keeping the AR timer, ARCH Radio, junking the motor starter phase unit, cabinet and all unless some one wants them

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”