chunkman128

Re: Siren Mystery

Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:03 am

Alright, thanks for the help. The instance in the second video I had the bandwidth maxed out at 2.9. once when I was messing with it I had it maxed out and our siren worked like it should when it was not first to go off, but went off with station 7s tone. (0:40). So other than changing what the siren settings for the tone frequencies. It is a bad decoder then?

kb4mdz

Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:37 am

Meh, maybe not, may be just badly programmed. Check these other things first.
Quick other question, related to the tones: How did whoever know what tones to program into the decoder? Were they just 'handed out' from the 911 center? Again, sometimes errors can creep in without anybody seeing it happening. Maybe there was a change made one day, that solved a problem, but nobody made a record of it,

In the real background of the 911 center's consoles should be some info on what tones are really programmed into it/being sent out. Don't know whether your console system is Motorola, Moducom, Zetron, or something else.

Among other things that I would suggest, is a qualified radio tech testing that Maxon radio for receive sensitivity, frequency error (like I mentioned) and audio level out to the decoder. And verify that the tones and voice are being transmitted at proper level of modulation, not overdriven and clipped, potentially causing falsing.

FWIW, I've seen whole radio systems vastly improved by just adjusting each channel's output from the console, properly, and then adjusting the respective transmitters properly too. 'Hasn't sounded this good in forever!!!'

chunkman128

Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:50 am

The 911 center uses zetron Max dispatch. I'm waiting for the siren manufacturer to get back to me about a tech coming out to look at it. As for the tone frequencies programmed in. When we ordered the siren we got the frequency numbers from county and sent them to the maker of the siren. I have also verified those and they are correct as they stand now

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”