pyramid head

Seeking advice for Sterling disassembly

Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:06 am

I won an auction on a Sterling Y, and I was curious if anyone here has pulled one apart. I am not sure if the actual brake mechanism is still in tact. I just need an idea what to bring for tools and was wondering if the rotors pull off with a balancer puller like on most Federals.
Pyramid head walks into a bar... there are no survivors.

Tboltguy

Re: Seeking advice for Sterling disassembly

Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:22 am

Let me preface this by saying I have no experience with Sterling sirens and I very well could be wrong about some of this. If anyone wants to correct me who has experience with said sirens, please do. That said, as is the case with most sirens, I'd say bring a whole bunch of standard tools and a couple of specialty ones. Things such as a steering wheel puller for any choppers that may need to be removed, and some extremely strong rust release type spray. I personally recommend CLP made by Safariland.

If I remember correctly, my various tool bags contain multiple screw drivers, a ratchet set, a three jaw puller, a bunch of electrical stuff (ring terminals, wire caps, spare wiring, crimpers, etc.), and a whole bunch of other generic tools which I often find helpful.

TLDR; bring a bunch of tools and see what you need when you're there.
Very proud owner of a Federal Signal Thunderbolt 1000A, a Federal Sign & Signal Model D, a Federal Sign & Signal STH-10B, and two Federal Signal IC-S2S4s (5 & 13 Port Variants).

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”