Model L
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: Egress
Discord: Egress.

Re: Trojan WS-3000

Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:15 am

more good news! Evan and I met up again this sunday and were able to repair the rotator motor. it now turns much faster, and sounds a whole lot better. the position encoder still doesn't work. He's working on making a mic so we can do PA announcements.

Additionally, we are now drafting plans to paint it. we're thinking of doing a blue/black colorscheme. thoughts?
Resident of Beaverton, Oregon
Proud owner of 2 Model L's and a 1984 WS-3000 serial # 717
19 years old
want to chat? send me a request on discord: Egress.#7444 or DM me

Model L
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:08 pm

https://youtu.be/Q1qYDwfNyHc More updates!

Hooked up an oscilloscope to view the waveforms, will be using this in the future to hopefully debug the rotator. Si-Test board will illuminate the partial driver function led even if there are no drivers connected or tone generator board. isnt that weird. Also managed to remove the bottom of the rotator.

also, this is our current concept for a possible paintjob for this siren. Evan mocked it up in roblox since it was easy to do.
19 years old

championsiren
YouTube Username: Position Light Productions
Discord: Same as my YT #6187

Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:02 pm

Model L wrote:
Additionally, we are now drafting plans to paint it. we're thinking of doing a blue/black colorscheme. thoughts?
I recommend painting it green. Most sirens look great in a nice deep shade of forest green.
(the only reason I didn't paint my siren green is because it's a darley siren. it's the rules. darley sirens can only be red.)

Model L
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:34 pm

championsiren wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:02 pm
Model L wrote:
I recommend painting it green. Most sirens look great in a nice deep shade of forest green.
(the only reason I didn't paint my siren green is because it's a darley siren. it's the rules. darley sirens can only be red.)
I feel like green's been done a lot before tho. mainly why we're considering blue & black.
19 years old

Non-Zero
YouTube Username: GSPiedmont425
Discord: pizzaluke#9012

Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:46 am

is that the famous MOOing whelen system!?
proud owner of a thunderbolt 1000A, and a 4/5 Thunderbolt 1000T

Model L
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:37 am

Non-Zero wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:46 am
is that the famous MOOing whelen system!?
no, you're thinking of cannon beach. this siren system was for the now decommissioned trojan nuclear power plant. these sirens were tested in attack.
19 years old

SuperBanshee836335

Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:36 pm

Was this the last 3000 in their system?
A young enthusiast in the Grant County,WA area. Older Federals are VERY abundant here.

Soon-to-be proud owner of a Federal Model 5 and/or Model 2.

Model L
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:42 am

SuperBanshee836335 wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:36 pm
Was this the last 3000 in their system?
no, the kelso whelen still exists.
19 years old

Model L
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:36 pm

More news.

I was able to borrow a bench power supply in addition to the oscilloscope, both from my school. using these pieces of equipment, I was able to verify that the encoder board functions properly, which means the issue likely lies within the control box. not what I wanted, as it means I have to debug that while its connected to 24v power. of course, it could also be a high resistance connection somewhere, as in between the rotator encoder board and the controls there are not 1, not 2, but 4 different connections. 2 of them are plastic plugs, then the soldering connections we did to rejoin the rotator wire, and finally the plug where it connects to the rotator controller. I plan to use an ohmmeter to see if any of these connections have a high resistance or otherwise bad connection.
I also was able to hook the tone generator up to the power supply, and I found the pitch adjustment for alert. interestingly, there is also an adjustment for how much alert warbles. very cool.
19 years old

carolinasignalco

Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:46 pm

Model L wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:36 pm
More news.

I was able to borrow a bench power supply in addition to the oscilloscope, both from my school. using these pieces of equipment, I was able to verify that the encoder board functions properly, which means the issue likely lies within the control box. not what I wanted, as it means I have to debug that while its connected to 24v power. of course, it could also be a high resistance connection somewhere, as in between the rotator encoder board and the controls there are not 1, not 2, but 4 different connections. 2 of them are plastic plugs, then the soldering connections we did to rejoin the rotator wire, and finally the plug where it connects to the rotator controller. I plan to use an ohmmeter to see if any of these connections have a high resistance or otherwise bad connection.
I also was able to hook the tone generator up to the power supply, and I found the pitch adjustment for alert. interestingly, there is also an adjustment for how much alert warbles. very cool.
does the tone generator board use 4046 phase-locked loop ICs? i have used them to build variable warble, pitch ,and volume circuits.
Proud owner of the Carolina Signal co, a mini siren manufacturing company.
I dont check my email!! please dont email me about mini sirens. i only respond to pms. (sorry) get used to typos

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”