Model L
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: Egress
Discord: Egress.

Trojan WS-3000

Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:20 am

After months of planning, it finally happened! On the 29th of September, Evan Vander Stoep and I went and acquired a Whelen WS-3000, specifically the one from Longview, Washington. Once we were home, we went and bought 2 batteries to run the controller and surprisingly, despite its age it fired right up without any problems! Once it was verified the controller worked, we wired up a single driver and did a quick test which was super loud. The rotator also worked without any problems.
We transported the siren via pickup truck and had to remove all the wiring to the drivers and the rotor before removing the siren from the truck bed. We wouldn't have been able to lift it out of the truck bed without doing that. The siren will have to be wired up again before running it. There is the idea of mounting it to a trailer for easy transportation so it will probably won’t be rewired until then.
The controller is a pre-864 analog controller, model WS-3000 (no other ID aside from this) serial # 717. Oddly, it contains a silent test board which for reasons I’ll discuss in a moment doesn’t make much sense.
The Trojan nuclear power plant siren system, until the Whelens were installed, was 100% a mix of federal sirens. Installed between 1980 and 1982, the system contained thunderbolt 1000(t)s, STH and STL 10s, model 2s, model 5s, and model Ls. A full map of the system can be viewed here, Trojan & Ex-Trojan Nuclear Power Plant Sirens Map, big thanks to chefiBG for the map. We believe that the Whelens were installed some time after April 1984, due to inspection stickers located inside the control cabinet of the siren that were dated 4-1984. Because the system up until this point was entirely federal sirens, they all used the Siratrol radio. The typical blue box, analog 2 tone radio receiver designed to activate a max of 3 different signals, plus cancel. Instead of using a 2 tone radio from whelen, they instead wired the siratrol through a time delay relay directly into the tone generator of the whelen. The time delay relay was manually set to 3 minutes, and was then hot glued in place. The cabinet also contained an alert, attack, and cancel button. When either the alert or attack button is pressed, the corresponding signal relay is activated and held on for 3 minutes. The whelen cabinet has no inbuilt timer, and so relies on the time delay relay. Of course, you’re probably saying to yourself right now “but why does the siren cabinet have a silent test board if the radio doesn’t support two way” and my answer is we have no clue whatsoever. It doesn’t make much sense to us either. However, the silent test board does seem to function.

As for the rotator, its also interesting. A pamphlet that was posted on here a while back shows that whelens rotator uses a cam wheel setup to generate a 4 digit binary number to tell the controller where exactly the rotator is in 45 degree accuracy. However, when we opened the rotator we were surprised to see not microswitches and cam wheels, but a full blown optical encoder wheel. It appears that whelen was testing several designs for the rotator, and they settled on microswitches, but prior to that this was one of the designs they used. The rotator needs to be greased, and it is also slightly rusty inside. I plan on taking it apart, cleaning it out, greasing it, and making sure that the bearings are ok, though it sounds like I may have to replace one or more of them.

In the future, we plan to do a full restoration to the siren. The horn is covered in a mixture of lichen, bird poop, and moss, and some of the drivers are a bit rusty. We have yet to test all of the drivers, but aside from some surface rust they all seem to be in ok condition. The rotator needs TLC, and I’d like to make a small cart or trailer for the siren to go on to allow us to move it around easier.

Now, some questions. I can’t find documentation for this controller at all on the internet. If anyone has a manual or anything for the WS-3000 or similar controller, I would be endlessly grateful if you can send a copy to me. Additionally, is this controller capable of any signals other than attack, wail, alert, and airhorn? And finally, anyone else that owns a rotating whelen. Can you look inside your rotators? I’d be interested in comparing designs to see how they evolved over the 35 years that have passed since this siren was made.

Also, stay tuned for more information on this siren in the coming weeks! We’re definitely not done here, especially with the siren still in pieces. A video of everything we did so far will be released in a video on Evan’s YouTube channel sometime soon.

(bonus pictures of me with the siren)
Last edited by Model L on Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Resident of Beaverton, Oregon
Proud owner of 2 Model L's and a 1984 WS-3000 serial # 717
19 years old
want to chat? send me a request on discord: Egress.#7444 or DM me

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Re: Trojan WS-3000

Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:40 pm

It's awesome to see these Older Whelens being repurposed and enthusiasts looking at them and sharing their findings. These 3000-series controllers aren't very heavy on information online, as these are quite old. As for the Silent Test module, I have a theory. If I had to guess, they ordered these modules specifically for future use. I've seen this done in the past, where plans are in place to upgrade to a two-way system or to upgrade components on older units while newer units have the components from the factory. My guess is that there were plans in place to either incorporate a 2-way radio system, or something similar. As for the signals, what you see is what you get. I'd love to see the internals on the controller if you happen to grab pictures of that, I've always been fascinated by the inner workings and revisions of Whelen controllers. I'd love to hear it sound sometime too. Congratulations on the new acquisition, and I'm hoping to see some updates as work progresses.
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

uncommonsense

Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:00 pm

84 seems right for this controller. The older ones, like the ones that were in St. Louis, used 8 200-W amps vs 4-400W amps. The 400W amp is, of course, newer.

Can’t wait to see videos. I’ve always wanted to hear one of these controllers doing air horn.

coastalsyrolover

Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:56 pm

welcome to the "siren owners of the northwest" club! A few years ago there was actually a lot of confusion in longview about who owned the sirens. So after many phone calls, a document from PGE was sent over and that got released to longview who removed 2 thunderbolt sirens that were in danger. I'm so glad to see another one got rescued. Congrats bro!!!
Own and love a Thunderbolt 1000 and a Model 5.

I have many hobbies and interests. And I love them all.

Christian, Lima, Oscah, November, Golf.

Model L
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:30 pm

ok, I couldn't resist any longer. Here's a video of the brief test we did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cGtT1m2lbg
19 years old

championsiren
YouTube Username: Position Light Productions
Discord: Same as my YT #6187

Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:40 pm

That's awesome. Hope you get this thing restored with no problems!
uncommonsense wrote:
84 seems right for this controller. The older ones, like the ones that were in St. Louis, used 8 200-W amps vs 4-400W amps. The 400W amp is, of course, newer.

Can’t wait to see videos. I’ve always wanted to hear one of these controllers doing air horn.
There's a video of a 2700 doing air horn on youtube. It should sound the same as that controller, although we can't be sure because it's pre-864.

uncommonsense

Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:46 pm

championsiren wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:40 pm
That's awesome. Hope you get this thing restored with no problems!
uncommonsense wrote:

There's a video of a 2700 doing air horn on youtube. It should sound the same as that controller, although we can't be sure because it's pre-864.
Please. Point me to this video. I couldn’t find it. The one video I found from Warning Sirens of Minnesota had a -864 set to dual tone.

And the 2700 was released and patent filed mid 1987. Same time as -864 (whose software is actually copyrighted 86). So there’s unlikely to be a standing 2700 with anything but an -864 hooked to it.

Tyler
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: Thunderbolt10031

Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:19 pm

Awesome catch dude!
My knowledge excels on the Federal Thunderbolt siren and SiraTone EOWS sirens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud owner of
2014 Federal UltraVoice UVICU
1981 SiraTone C/B prototype
1984 SiraTone C/B

Model L
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:16 pm

ok, I was graciously sent a manual by someone on discord. turns out this controller also has HI-LO, in addition to attack, wail, alert, and air horn. Here's the link to the manual if anyone else would like a peek!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1idQWj2 ... sp=sharing
19 years old

uncommonsense

Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:13 am

Model L wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:16 pm
ok, I was graciously sent a manual by someone on discord. turns out this controller also has HI-LO, in addition to attack, wail, alert, and air horn. Here's the link to the manual if anyone else would like a peek!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1idQWj2 ... sp=sharing
Now THAT is cool. First time I’ve seen a manual that old. Interesting these older controllers had a hi-lo function you needed a relay to activate. It seems odd to leave it off the local control. Alas.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”