FromOuterPluto
New User

Sterling M5 Restoration Advice

Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:25 am

Hello, I want to start by saying I'm new to the hobby, found this forum trying to track down info on a Sterling M5 I recently won from an auction. I've never attempted anything like this before but am extremely excited to at least try. I've done some digging through here on certain parts I've been wondering about, but I figure a fresh post on the matter would be the best start. Anyways-

Like I said above, I now have a 16/16 M5 Sterling of unknown age or operating condition. Over the next few months I'd like to fully restore this siren. Any advice/recommendations for this project would be greatly appreciated, I'll provide all the info, questions, and concerns I have on it to the best of my ability:
ImageImage

Apart from the dented shrouds, and the shroud end cap missing on one end, the siren appears to be in decent material shape. The rotors do spin freely, though I did notice that the left impeller occasionally scrapes the stator- this usually only happens on the first spin, then goes away. Additionally, I heard a clattering noise, like something coming in contact with the motor, almost like the sound of a playing card in bicycle spokes, when I first spun the impellers. However this noise has since gone away mostly. The only other suspect sound I can think of right now is a consistent squeaking from the motor for as long as the rotors are spinning.

Most of this would lead me to believe this is caused mostly worn or unseated bearings? I'm not sure what else could be causing these things myself.

The motor is a 110/220v Peerless Electric, my friend who is more electrically inclined than I am believes it is currently wired for single phase 110v based on the diagram. We are hoping to wire it up and fire it off somewhere just to see if it works.

As far as I know (and this is only speculative info provided to me by the town DPW clerk), this siren has been indoors for a majority of what was believed to be the last 40 years, and though it had not been in use for much of that time, was still wired into live power up until a few weeks ago.

As of recent, the only thing I've done to it is put some Marvel Mystery Oil into the bearings just to try and help loosen them up a little more.

My only concerns for disassembly are pulling the rotors (specifically, removal of the shaft key and motor bearings) I've read around this forum and seen a handful of different ways to approach it. I think I'm going to try for the gear puller/ blowtorch/PB blaster and mallet method, but any other advice would be great.

I apologize for the long post and amount of information.. Figured I'd get it all out there at once.

Again, any restoration advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

pyramid head

Re: Sterling M5 Restoration Advice

Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:54 pm

My job keys had to be "rocked" out with a pry bar, hammer and penetrating oil. If the key seems to be taking alot of force to move, use heat to expand the metal around the key. Be careful what you use for penetrating oil, because not everything likes open flame! After the keys were removed I had to use a similar method to pull the rotors, if possible clean the motor shaft of any corrosion to expedite this process. What I am finding right now putting my unit back together is if it is a tight clearance, like the backing plate for the stators that bolts into the motor frame- don't paint it.clean these parts up and seal with paint after assembled. Where the stator seats on the backing plate is really making reassembley a chore. Take pictures of how EVERYTHING is indexed, so you know what holes belong where, guessing sucks.
Pyramid head walks into a bar... there are no survivors.

carolinasignalco

Re: Sterling M5 Restoration Advice

Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:16 pm

If you dont have a gear puller use 2 ladyslippers one on each side, spray the shaft with wd40, take a piece of wood, put it over the shaft and give it a whack with an implement of basing, than pry on the ladyslipers at the same and she'l come right off.
Proud owner of the Carolina Signal co, a mini siren manufacturing company.
I dont check my email!! please dont email me about mini sirens. i only respond to pms. (sorry) get used to typos

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”