Busgeek71

Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:07 am

Huh, the ATI system (installed 2004) in the city I live in actually isn't too bad. They function well, I always have heard them in storms, and the tones aren't too shabby, kinda like a Modulator. For some reason the alert tone isn't the usual 1000Hz. It's a bit lower than the high note of a Federal T22 siren. This system isn't even on the map ATI has.

ginbot86

Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:09 am

Tannre wrote:A signal in the control box called "TBOLT CNSR" is really irritating...
:lol: Thunderbolt Censor. <Thunderbolts run to corner of room, crying>
Last edited by ginbot86 on Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
--Jason G.
Proud owner of 4 small sirens

SirenMadness

Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:13 am

Ninja Squirrel wrote:I feel sorry for Texas, being plauged by this ATI virus. Sure, the sirens do their job, but from what I hear and understand, they do the job horribly.
I feel really bad for the T-135s that went down in Allen to be replaced by ATIs.

I don't know as to what tones ASC makes those speakers play, but I'll bet they're not much different from ATI's, considering that the speakers can't take much of a bass frequency... then again, neither can most speaker sirens, but at least they sound good, unlike the ATIs. The only sound more annoying than that of an ATI is the Dutch wail signal, which gets increasingly higher. :lol:
~ Peter Radanovic

ginbot86

Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:28 am

SirenMadness wrote:The only sound more annoying than that of an ATI is the Dutch wail signal, which gets increasingly higher. :lol:
I've seen that vid on YT. It seems like it'll keep going until it'll explode!
--Jason G.
Proud owner of 4 small sirens

SirenMadness

Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:35 am

To make it worse, the wind-downs are annoyingly fast, and... worst of all... they appear to be using a somewhat sharp wave, making it sound almost like a computer game. :roll:
~ Peter Radanovic

Tannre

Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:46 am

CJ wrote:
Tannre wrote:is how the HPSS16-R looks pretty much like a Whelen 4004, with iron rods. A signal in the control box called "TBOLT CNSR" is really irritating.
You mean the HPSS32-R. ;)

Haha, T-bolt Censor. Yes, the giant bleepers... :S
Oops sorry, I have no idea why I divided the 32...
Tanner L - Your one of only a handful of siren experts of the Oregon area!

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:08 am

SirenMadness wrote:
Ninja Squirrel wrote:I feel sorry for Texas, being plauged by this ATI virus. Sure, the sirens do their job, but from what I hear and understand, they do the job horribly.
I feel really bad for the T-135s that went down in Allen to be replaced by ATIs.

I don't know as to what tones ASC makes those speakers play, but I'll bet they're not much different from ATI's, considering that the speakers can't take much of a bass frequency... then again, neither can most speaker sirens, but at least they sound good, unlike the ATIs. The only sound more annoying than that of an ATI is the Dutch wail signal, which gets increasingly higher. :lol:
The only thing that ATI and ASC have in common is the fact that they both buy the speaker shells from the same manufacturers. Drivers, amps, everything else is different.

SirenMadness

Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:54 am

Okay, thanks! I knew that the amps were different, but I never would have guessed the same about the drivers!
~ Peter Radanovic

bigloudnoise

Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:14 pm

Ugh...according to that map, it looks like that lone Iowa ATI is likely being used by the University of Northern Iowa, or perhaps one of the larger community colleges in the WCF area. My bet would be on UNI though. Perhaps it's time for me to take a drive up there with my camera to confirm this terrible news...

Ninja Squirrel

Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:34 pm

It's a shame P-50s aren't all that cost-efficient. A few well-placed P-50s could replace a whole lot of those ATIs, and be much more performance-efficient.

Would there be a dB difference if P-50s were single-tone instead of dual?
The sniper rifle. For when you want to reach out and touch someone. Like blow their head off.
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/HyperFlameGuy

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”