airplanedude

YouTube Username: airplanedude

Re: Cincinnati Metropolitan Area Sirens

Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:05 pm

Not sure if this has been posted here before or how many of you are even aware of this siren's former existence, but figured I'd share it anyways. This was a 1950s Thunderbolt mounted on the old Engine Company 6 located at the intersection of Adams Crossing and Riverside Drive (Formerly Pearl and Martin) near downtown. The station was active until 1983 and I believe the Thunderbolt wasn't removed until sometime during the 1990s. What's interesting about this is that it would've been located only 0.4 miles from the Lytle 1000 and would've been easy to get eye level with if you were to be standing on Columbia Pkwy or Mt Adams.

Siren is visible around the 4:20 mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... =emb_title
Attachments
thunderbolt3.PNG
thunderbolt3.PNG (944.72 KiB) Viewed 2856 times
Campbell County, KY

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:18 pm

That’s really interesting! I remember seeing some old Hamilton County Maps that used to show four sirens across downtown all packed close to each other (Park Place at Lytle, Federal Courthouse, and 2 others). I was never quite able to figure out the extra two. This one on that old fire station could be one. The fourth one was on the very west of downtown, which could’ve been the old Hudepohl Thunderbolt, but I seem to recall these maps showing a smaller coverage circle for that western location, so is it possible that there was an SD-10 around there at one point?
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

airplanedude

Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:12 pm

I'm leaning towards that 4th circle being Hudepohl since coverage seems fine as it is and it would've been weird to have an SD-10 in there with all those bolts. Have any idea where you say those maps?
Campbell County, KY

carexpertandy

Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:09 pm

One map was on the EMA's old website from approximately 2002. Another one was published in The Cincinnati Enquirer in the spring of 2007 with an article about Hamilton County wanting to upgrade the siren system, which I was able to find on Newspapers.com as shown below. A different version of this map on Cincinnati.com actually showed each coverage circle outlined, but this newspaper map only shows the amount of coverage altogether. I have noticed with this map as well as the 2002 map that some locations that should be here are missing, some locations are mispinned, and some locations were not updated when a siren was removed or replaced. But take a look at downtown. That location on the very southwest was shown to have a small coverage circle on other maps. It could be intended to be Hudepohl, but the dot is on the east side of I-75 instead of west.

Imagesiren map 2007 by carexpertandy, on Flickr
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

airplanedude

Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:47 pm

Looking at that map it seems like Hudepohl is gone which makes sense since that one was dead in the 90s. Although I do see that mystery location, my guess is that it's a misprint or something. That map also shows the station 6 bolt which would've been long gone by 2007.
Campbell County, KY

maxshaw

Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:43 pm

Here are my two maps... both have some interesting errors. Neither of these show the 4 Thunderbolts in downtown like the 2007 newspaper map does. The EMA really didn't do a good job of keeping their maps updated/ consistent!
Attachments
Hamilton County Sirens EMA (resized).png
This is the official map from the EMA's old website
Hamilton County Sirens EMA (resized).png (334.1 KiB) Viewed 2772 times
Last edited by maxshaw on Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maxshaw

Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:44 pm

Sorry about the double post... the 2nd image wouldn't upload for some reason.
Attachments
Old Hamilton County Sirens.png
I don't know where this one came from
Old Hamilton County Sirens.png (352.73 KiB) Viewed 2772 times

carexpertandy

Fri May 01, 2020 1:21 am

Yes, I remember that map from the EMA, which was probably made around 2006. I mentioned one from 2002, which had many similarities to the newspaper map. I believe that 2nd map you posted was made by Ian Cormack (AllAmericanFE), which I believe he made based on that survey done by ASC in 2002. His map has some locations missing (most notably all Fernald sirens) as well as some labeled with the wrong make/model. The other maps have most Fernald sirens pinned in incorrect locations. Majority of errors on both EMA maps are incorrect coverage ranges and several pinned to incorrect locations.

maxshaw

Tue May 05, 2020 12:53 am

Are there any interesting (not T-128's or 2001's) sirens in Clermont County that have yet to be recorded? I saw that someone got the prototype 1212 in Hamlet earlier this year which is where I was looking at for Wednesday... I might do that one anyway. Or I may take an ambiance recording from south of there so I could get it along with some of the Thunderbolts and P-15's near Amelia. I also want to get the 4/5 in Union Twp. and the 5/6 on Clough Pike Elementary sometime soon.

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Tue May 05, 2020 12:28 pm

Supposedly someone's going to be recording Clough Pike this month, but I heard about it once and never again. I do have a map of their system. I haven't inclucded recordings of sirens yet but you can pick your target siren with this if you want.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uO-Nd ... sp=sharing
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

Return to “Community Systems”