Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: SuperSirex127
Discord: SuperSirex127#3917

Re: Cincinnati Metropolitan Area Sirens

Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:56 pm

4J25 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:40 pm
Sorry for the double post, but I just got off the phone with the Brown County EMA and the Franklin Township/Felicity Fire Department.

I was wrong as far as Brown County having anything to do with them, at least from what I understood from the phone call with them.

As far as Franklin Twp. Fire, the chief who manages a lot of the maintenance for sirens wasn't in, but I was able to talk about the sirens anyways. The firefighter I talked to said he actually lives near the Hornet and also heard it go off early, and mentioned it going way longer than usual (the two wail cycles). Additionally, he said that the T-128 in Point Isabel went off early as well, which insinuates that the early activation was not exclusive to the Hornet(s). He also mentioned that he received no tones through his scanner but usually does.

My first thought was that Clermont could have performed testing of separate zones yesterday, but I imagine the activation tones would have all come through on the same channel. Otherwise, they may be changing around radios and/or switching over to a new channel. The whole situation is really bizarre. I plan on speaking to the chief at Felicity when he gets in next week.
When me, dominic, Glist, and Tom went to the C-series on Wednesday, the sirens in Pierce Township and Union Township went off way later than the surrounding T-128s.
it was strange. we heard some form of activation tone for the 128s, but it sounded nothing like the normal Clermont County tones
5 minutes later the regular tones went out and set off the sirens. We also heard a T-128 wind down after only a minute, while the rest kept going.
Proud owner of 4 Model As(all in a state of disrepair), a USI siren, and a 16-port rotor from a Sterling M-10.

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:44 pm

I just got home from work, and I swear I have heard at least a couple T-128 growls, but not sure if the same siren or not. Now I am standing outside to listen, and am wondering if I’m hearing other distant sirens or trucks on the highway. Obviously, could be maintenance or repair. Just wondering if anyone else has heard anything or knows what could be going on. I still live in Finneytown of course.
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

carexpertandy

Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:44 pm

Sorry to double post, but after I made my previous post, I heard it at least four more times, and the first time since, it was obviously a T-128. I was inside the house with the windows open, and couldn’t tell where exactly it was coming from, so I wasn’t about to drive around looking, LOL :lol:. But on my way to work this morning, the T-128 at Galbraith & Winton was in a different position than after last week’s test. I found it strange, just because I drove by it a few minutes before getting home, and I don’t think I saw anyone there working on it... :?
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

carexpertandy

Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:34 am

Now sorry to triple post... but there was just a brief tornado warning for northern Boone and southwest Hamilton Counties! Hamilton County activated sirens twice, and I recorded both. About to upload.

EDIT: Here are my videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR435J754X4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjBv0N1ZX_0

maxshaw

Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:27 am

That warning came out of nowhere! I thought it was odd though, the warning was limited to the far western section of Hamilton county, but the sirens went off county-wide... doesn't the EMA have the ability to sound the sirens by zone?

maxshaw

Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:30 am

Sorry about the double post, but I also noticed that the T-128 at 8 Mile and Clough seemed to drop in pitch quite a lot during the activations.

carexpertandy

Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:58 am

Yes, I remember they activated by zones for tornado warnings last year. And sometimes, they test by zones. Probably because the storm was passing through the majority of the county, they activated the entire system. I wonder if maybe the slip rings are going bad on that T-128?

maxshaw

Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:34 pm

I'm almost positive they activated by zone today... I could hear some distant T-128's that weren't from Milford. It was a great day for ambiance recording though, I could hear 5 different thunderbolts (one on chopper level 3, 4, 5, and 6/7, as well as the 4/5 in Union Twp.) and the P-15 in Eastgate from my house! Also whatever problem there was with the T-128 near me dropping in pitch didn't happen this time, so that's good. This video doesn't do the ambiance justice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te-SSsPHsuE

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:33 pm

If I remember correctly, there was an enthusiast at the 4/5 yesterday.
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:33 am

Hamilton County is under TOR warning. Let’s see which zones get activated.
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

Return to “Community Systems”