Re: Cincinnati Metropolitan Area Sirens

Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:56 pm

4J25 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:10 am
fire_freak_57 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:09 am
4J25 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:13 am
The 8-port siren we were hearing was probably Mt. Pisgah's P-127. I believe I also heard the T-128 to the southeast on Fair Oak Road.

Pretty sure the radio simply didn't receive the activation tones on the Concord Road siren.
That P-127 would probably be the grey one off Locust Corner, I think Mt. Pisgah is way too far off from where we were located. I’ll try and confirm that in March when I’m down in the area again, either at one of the 4/5’s, the Banshee/P-15 or getting video of the 1212. I’ll likely attempt the other P-15/P-127 thing later, probably in the summer when I’m not busy with work or school.
Mt. Pisgah's P-127 is actually about a mile and a quarter closer to where we were than Locust Corner. My guess is that the Locust Corner siren is dual tone given the cone, and it's likely just a P-10/15 that Mr. Werden refurbished.
Interesting. Those single tone P-127’s/RM-127’s/P-15’s carry far. I live in Greene County, OH and we can hear Kettering’s all the way across four lane 675 and the ambient noise from the businesses along Wilmington Pike all the way at my house and I live 3.5 miles from the P-15 in Kettering. We actually live closer to the 2001 on E Whipp Rd. in Centerville and I haven’t heard that one during tests yet even though it works. Just goes to show how much better lower frequencies propagate at a distance than higher ones.
sirenfreak57
Owner of a Allertor 125 Control Cabinet, EOWS Driver, and other odds and ends.
My YouTube Channel | Summit County Siren Map | Cuyahoga County Siren Map

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:49 am

Does anyone know anything about those 3 Whelen Hornets in Clermont County?

My main questions are who installed/paid for these (nobody else in the county has Whelen products), are they individually activated/controlled by a township, and why aren't there recordings of them?
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

sirensandfirealarms
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: SuperSirex127
Discord: SuperSirex127#3917

Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:07 am

nvanw27 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:49 am
Does anyone know anything about those 3 Whelen Hornets in Clermont County?

My main questions are who installed/paid for these (nobody else in the county has Whelen products), are they individually activated/controlled by a township, and why aren't there recordings of them?
im not sure why they exist, but theres so much more stuff thats a lot cooler and louder than those hornets that need to be recorded, like the Thunderbolts, P-15s, P-127s, and 1212s in the county.
Proud owner of 4 Model As(all in a state of disrepair), a USI siren, and a 16-port rotor from a Sterling M-10.

4J25
YouTube Username: 4j25

Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:20 am

Here's what I know about them:

The one in Chilo directly replaced a Zimmer EOWS, specifically ZPNS 20. Not sure when that happened.

The one north of Felicity at the intersection of 133 and 774 was installed in 1998, after the downtown EOWS did not work during the 1997 EF-3 (Felicity does have a backup Model 2 at the fire department that can be manually activated during tornado warnings). That EOWS was later replaced with a T-128.

The one off of Franklin Road in Stringtown was likely installed sometime in the late 90s or early 2000s not long after the northern one.

As far as who paid for them, likely the township/fire chief, and the northern one was paid for with money appropriated by county commissioners. I would have no idea who installed them, but that is something that I may dig up here soon.
Christian Bricking, living in the Cincinnati Metropolitan Area.
Owner of a WPS-2804, Model L, and B9.
Certified Skywarn spotter since April 5, 2016.

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:17 am

That would be interesting. I always thought it was strange how there were three in the same area and the rest of the county was ASC/Federal
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:01 am

Remember, Kenwood Country Club had that Hornet, which Werden replaced with a T-121. There’s also an omni-directional Whelen at the Morrow fire station (Warren County) and there was a Vortex in Russellville (Brown County), but is it still there? If you look at the current Google Maps street view of Werden Electric, there are two Vortexes/4000s on the lot, but I wonder where those came from...
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

fire_freak_57
YouTube Username: sirenfreak57
Discord: firefreak57#0781

Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:01 am

4J25 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:20 am
Here's what I know about them:

The one in Chilo directly replaced a Zimmer EOWS, specifically ZPNS 20. Not sure when that happened.

The one north of Felicity at the intersection of 133 and 774 was installed in 1998, after the downtown EOWS did not work during the 1997 EF-3 (Felicity does have a backup Model 2 at the fire department that can be manually activated during tornado warnings). That EOWS was later replaced with a T-128.

The one off of Franklin Road in Stringtown was likely installed sometime in the late 90s or early 2000s not long after the northern one.

As far as who paid for them, likely the township/fire chief, and the northern one was paid for with money appropriated by county commissioners. I would have no idea who installed them, but that is something that I may dig up here soon.
B&C Communications? They do most of the Whelen installs in Ohio, and being based in Columbus, they bid fiercely on everything in Central Ohio and do maintenance for Franklin County. I believe they installed Franklin County's system as well. They were based out of Parma for a time and do most of the Whelen installs in Northern Ohio as well.
sirenfreak57
Owner of a Allertor 125 Control Cabinet, EOWS Driver, and other odds and ends.
My YouTube Channel | Summit County Siren Map | Cuyahoga County Siren Map

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:48 am

I just remembered the Whelens in Clinton County, especially that one along I-71 near Wilmington. I suppose B&C would install down here. Though it was barely discussed, but Hamilton County was also considering the Vortex R-3 along with the T-128 and 2001-130 back in 2010. I wonder if B&C had a bid in.
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

4J25
YouTube Username: 4j25

Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:20 pm

The two Vortexes Werden has in his lot were removed from Waynoka Lake in Brown County. He replaced them with 128s.
Christian Bricking, living in the Cincinnati Metropolitan Area.
Owner of a WPS-2804, Model L, and B9.
Certified Skywarn spotter since April 5, 2016.

Hannah
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:44 am

andy one of those vortexes is sitting at home in my collection.
Female enthusiast who is the owner of many large and small sirens, misc controls, timers etc. (too many to list in this small space) all big sirens came from cincinnatis old system.

Return to “Community Systems”