sirendude2012
YouTube Username: legomn54321

Re: Restoring a Gasoline Mobil Directo!

Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:18 am

Andys Live WX wrote:How could you remotely control something like that back in the ole days? Like to run the throttle, starting motor, choke etc.?
3 channel signal... one for the throttle, one for starting, and another for clutch. It's like an RC car, it is the same concept.

On an on-topic note, I hope the final fate of this MD is a good one :D
THUNDERBOLT HAS BEEN SOLD

greystripe3
YouTube Username: greystripe3

Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:41 am

sirendude2012 wrote:3 channel signal... one for the throttle, one for starting, and another for clutch. It's like an RC car, it is the same concept.
That is what I was thinking, but I wasn't entirely sure
sirendude2012 wrote: I hope the final fate of this MD is a good one :D
Me too! :thup:
Go Thunderbolt!

AllAmericanFE
YouTube Username: AllAmericanFE

Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:20 am

Just in case anyone ever needs to find 6 volt batteries besides NAPA Batteries Plus (not sure if there are any outside of ohio) has them. A very good friend of mine has a 1922 Model T Ford (which I learned how to drive) which we had to find a 6 volt for. Very few places carry 6 volt batteries anymore which is a shame.

I am very anxious to see any updates on this siren. May I ask what state this siren is located in? If it is close to Ohio I would love to maybe donate time/supplies when I am free to help this project progress.

LukeH

Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:09 pm

AllAmericanFE wrote:Just in case anyone ever needs to find 6 volt batteries besides NAPA Batteries Plus (not sure if there are any outside of ohio) has them. A very good friend of mine has a 1922 Model T Ford (which I learned how to drive) which we had to find a 6 volt for. Very few places carry 6 volt batteries anymore which is a shame.

I am very anxious to see any updates on this siren. May I ask what state this siren is located in? If it is close to Ohio I would love to maybe donate time/supplies when I am free to help this project progress.
Tractor Supply, Family Farm and Home, really any farm supply store will carry them.
Resident Historian
Denver Siren Expert
Michigan

Daniel

Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:48 pm

6V motorcycle batteries for older bikes are available in some places, and they can be connected in parallel for more current.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

hemijoe
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: 1N5M79

Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:23 pm

Hi everyone! Just decided to keep in touch about the restoration project. This is the first time I've been on here so I hope I'm not screwing it up. Jerry from Fon Du Lac did most of the computer stuff as I'm pretty old school. But anyway the gas motored Mobil Directo is doing well . It's been wrapped in plastic for about 1 1/2 years as the money just wasn't there .The wisconsin motor is painted and the rotator assembly is done . What I need to do now is find a quality metal man to remove the dents and straighten everything as I'd like it to look as close to new as possible. Then finally the paint. The only part I don't possess is the horn !!! If anyone would know where there is one available please let me know as I have no idea where to look and I know my good buddy Jerry is working in North Dakota in the oil fields. THANKS, Hemijoe in Hartford 262-224-4696

LukeH

Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:13 am

Definitely re subscribing to this topic! I can not wait to see the outcome!
Resident Historian
Denver Siren Expert
Michigan

agrotred40
YouTube Username: Bigmindcreator

Re:

Fri May 02, 2014 9:28 pm

jerrylovessirens wrote: We see the thing so special about getting it running is that if we do, it will be the only known Gasoline Mobil Directo in the world to be operational.
Unfortuately there is another Gas Powered Mobil Directo at Veterans Memorial Park in Culver City, CA(LA Area) (defunct but probably still in operational condition) that was used with a few other Mobil Directo's in the cold war.
Only one of the three Mobil Directo's in the LA Area were removed.

Either way they are still rare because there is still barely any in the US alone.
Johnny has three Apples. He gave one away. What is the circumference of the sun?

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Sat May 03, 2014 12:39 am

I know theres a pole mounted gas MD somewhere in S. L.A. that someone showed me one time. I'll try and find it.

EDIT: Here it is! Turns out it's in San Bernardino.
http://goo.gl/maps/f71IO
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

agrotred40
YouTube Username: Bigmindcreator

Wed May 07, 2014 2:08 pm

Brendan W wrote:I know theres a pole mounted gas MD somewhere in S. L.A. that someone showed me one time. I'll try and find it.

EDIT: Here it is! Turns out it's in San Bernardino.
http://goo.gl/maps/f71IO
I think you should add that to your map of Mobil Directos in the US.
Johnny has three Apples. He gave one away. What is the circumference of the sun?

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”